Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I would agree. The UK sent a good song last Year and it shows that the song makes a difference not block voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,499 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is the problem. Late Late Show is only watched by +45 year olds and they're the wrong crowd.

Tactics need to change. Set up a Snapchat ,Instragram and You Tube accounts put loads of songs there. Let people vote.

Highest performers go on to National Contest in its own show on Saturday night at 8 o'clock.

Get young presenters and allow younger people to select song via free method and combine with national jury.

That's got to get a better result than Ryan Tubridy and Marty Whelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Voting was by juries appointed by each broadcaster I'm fairly sure when we won. These judged the songs both by their merits and performance on the night afaik. So the argument is that this was more objective. The likes of Big Brother and Reality TV generally with public tele voting changed everything. It is what is is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The lead singer is a sore loser. He didn't sing in tune and kept the mic away from his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,690 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Germany’s singer was relieved that by ‘collection’, Alesha was referring to his Disney Mugs and not his dead skin masks.

• Advertisement

Why oh why is Marty Whelan still the RTE commentator. It's embarrassing. He's completely unsuited to Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Not a chance that wild youth song was going through, totally forgettable.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The reason the "big 5" get a pass is because they essentially pay for it every year now because we were not the only ones afraid to host.

So it's not an issue anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

RTE's version of Wogan, that's what they think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭squonk

Thinking on this again I think we might be up our own holes a bit with our general music industry here. I think we’ve gotten into a rut with beiing content to rest on our laurels because we had world class artists like U2, Sinead O’Connor, Enya, The Cranberry’s etc. Nowadays we do have Gavin Janes, Denise Chailla and Dermot Kennedy but I’m not sure they have as broad an appeal. Like it or not our musical heyday was the late 80’s and 90’s. It seems like we aren’t turning out the same sit up anbd notice acts like we used to. I think Sinead you either lived or hated but ° was coming from a place where she wanted to make a point so you’d remember her. Same with Delores. Very unique.

Whatever we think about the acts that got through they were largely unique. I think at this point we’ve forgotten that the people we have put on pedestals worked hard for it and brought a good show and good performances. I feel now we’re a bit like England and the World Cup where they expect to be in the final because they won it in ‘66. Being the winningest country with the best stats matters little now if you’ve forgotten how you gut those stats in tge first place. There are no automatic passes except for the big 5 and we need to up our game. Not only do we need a decent artist, decent song and decent visuals but we now need to be getting out there engaging with social media and selling hard. Work, work, work. That’s what it’s all about and if you just want a trip away every year for tge lads then prepare to lose the cool stats as other countries move the game on and we don’t notice.

Post edited by squonk on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭techman1

Yes that's been a big problem, they changed it from x factor type format to LLS and made it worse. Probably LLS format now finished anyway with Patrick kielty taking over. Sometimes they didn't even have a panel of songs they just decided the song themselves without a competition like something out of Fr Ted.

Another thing back in the 80s RTE would have lots of variety shows and staged performances with sets and singers and dancers. Therefore there was alot of know how back then in how to stage a performance for an 80s audience albeit. Also alot more avenues for entertainers and singers to get exposure on TV. We have lost all that aswell , in fairness you don't see it mucb on other channels from UK either

Even the BBC decided to retire Wogan off it eventually.

Get your popcorn ready for ‘Liveline’!

If we want to be in it so bad then we need to start funding it , we’ll never win it again if we’re not in the finals

Rte appear to be experts on what’s “not Eurovision “ every year they reject acts for not being Eurovision

so let’s keep sending songs about all of us being united as one 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭boccy23

100% agree with this. He was poor.

There was 10 better songs last night, thought the Dutch were unlucky.

Simply not good enough. Move on and enjoy the rest of the spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Just saw the performance there - somebody is having a laugh. Even putting the song aside they dressed him up like Eoin McLovin. Never going through, and the organisers for Ireland were never interested in going through either. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Spot on.

Netherlands I felt should have made it, and tbh even Latvia over some of the nonsense put through, but Ireland were bloody awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

• Registered Users Posts: 15,274 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Every song we sent over the last 25 years was awful to mediocre.

I disagree.

Jedward with "Lipstick" was proper modern Eurovision stuff.

And their 8th place finish is something we can only dream of now.

• Advertisement

Liveline callers right now…

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

IMHO you got 2 pathways to success.

1. Have a top song, which hopefully will appeal to a more mature, considered audience.
    2. enter a freakish act for what essentially has morphed into a freak show.

Ireland's song fell between these 2 stools, and appealed to neither 'er camp (no pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It’s a terrible song. First of all, it’s a total rip off of a good song, one republic’s ‘I lived’. And secondly, it is a totally wokey tick the boxes in name and lyrics, all about diversity and inclusion. You can be all things Eurovision without trying to make it so obvious, and you can do it in a wacky and original way. Not this wokey cr@p that wild youth delivered. Oh and I think the only reason the dark haired fella did lead vocals on this is because blondie broke his arm just before the late late show and he had to sit at the piano.

Any song about inclusion and diversity is fake , you can embrace both without going on about it

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

my 9 year old daughter loved it btw. the freakier the act the more she loved it. i actually enjoyed her reactions more that the performances.

let's be honest here, it is no longer just a SONG contest. that said Portugal if memory serves me correct entered a beautiful, understated song in 2017, and it deservedly won. sadly that has become the exception.

There’s a guy on lifeline saying we didn’t promote it enough here , but we can’t vote ? 😂

Finland were an absolute total rip off of rammstein playing pop music but still awesome 😂

I think the qualifying condition to getting on Liveline is not having a fûcking clue about the subject you’re addressing!

• Advertisement

One anomaly that’s got me puzzled is that some acts that beat us are so unbelievably brain dead I honestly don’t know how to beat them

however in music if you have to try you’ve already lost , stop trying to be Eurovision and use our senses

Advertisement