Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Yes. Its why they sacked him. Essentially Ian Bantham pointed out that an inmate who stabbed and raped a woman, was calling himself a man in order to stay in the Women's prison. He was then promptly moved to the men's prison. Banham pointed out that he was clearly a man.

Wild Youth, without actually reading the backstory of the stabbed and raped victim, sacked Bantham and made a huge deal of it.

What they didn't bank on was the thousands of negative comments from, mostly women, alleging that they support rapists. It snowballed from there. Most older viewers of Eurvision wouldn't be aware of the power of an out-of-control twitter campaign. It ended their chances at that point.

As I said, just read the comments underneath each of their posts. Pure vitriol against the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Twitter is no accurate barometer as soon as anything involving trans or whatever is involved. It's just a cesspit.

Truth is the choreographer story was a non story here and internationally and so we're the band. No hype for them here whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There were a huge number of comments on the Late Late Show thread, well before that controversy, people saying the song wouldn't qualify...

Of the kind of people to actually vote in the Eurovision, which do you think is going to influence them - sacking or not sacking the guy? Eurovision voting audience being known for having quite a liberal perspective.

Or more likely WTF are you on about, they would say.

The idea there was some significant group of voters put off by this is a myth.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Normally I'd agree, but the backlash against them over the last few weeks has been, and still is, extraordinary. Anyway time will tell. I would highly recommend their twitter feed though. Its as if the band and RTE are in a different reality.

Anyway. Back to reality for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I still reckon it was because they were pants but I doubt this helped their cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭squonk

Interesting reading the twitter and bantam stuff. I qualify I think as an older demographic who tunes in fur the show but doesn’t really dig deeper. Certainly I don’t follow artist twitter feeds and the performances I see on the semis are the first time I’ve seen an artist. I’m too old also to have heard of wild youth before the LLS Eurovision thing. I knew of them but knew nothing about them.

I know there are hardcore Eurovision fans who get very involved with the social media side and who know all the acts long before Eurovision week starts.

I just don’t see even 18yr old Joe or Jane Soap getting into that detail either but they’d still vote for acts they like.

I wouldn't highly recommend any Twitter feed ever.

They would have lost regardless so therefore they didn't lose because of this story most people haven't heard of. You just want to believe it most likely because it backs up your own beliefs.

I mean I never heard of the story so to claim its been an extraordinary backlash is a bit of stretch.

But then again I don't vote in the Eurovision or take any interest in it outside of watching the event itself, so maybe you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The bearded lady act has already been done. I’m not sure if it will work again the 2nd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭glitterIsland

I don't know the history or the background behind that story.

Is a man dressing up as a woman just to stay in a women's prison and abuse them? Is that it?

Did wild youths manager just call it what it is - it's a man.

I do t know what the history is. Can can you explain?

Are people angry at wild youth over the transgender stuff or what?

None of it makes sense. It's all a pack of sh1te. It all sounds stressful for them to be honest. Then to have people mock the lead singer over a 'camel toe' - that's absolutely disgusting mockery and it was completely uncalled for.

Half the people criticising wild youth for all and everything in between wouldn't be half as brave getting on a stage and performing and act for the night.

And my f*cking god. Europe did us dirty. I saw Croatia entry eslrier today and its awful.

Wild Youth deserved a place before them. How can anyone here say Croatia had a good song. There were a few more that were bad but then there was some OK stuff too. But Croatia.

Europe did us dirty.

• Advertisement

The biggest crime is to be forgettable. You have 16 songs so when you go to pick up your phone the forgettable is worse than crazy or weird.

The last none forgettable song/act we had was Jedward and funny enough Europe didn't "do us dirty" then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I like a bit of Eurovision but have an allergy to the Late Late.

Someone a few posts up posted the video for the Connolly song, which I had never heard, so I just watched her Late Late performance there.

The LL performance was a bit shaky, but that song sung and staged well would have sailed through.

Original staging is the trick, remember that Swiss Gjon’s Tears chap a few years back. Decent enough song but sung well and interesting staging put him in the top few places.

Everyone involved in the selection process needs to be removed. If I performed so consistently poorly in my job, I would be.

That's OTT. Croatia were pure Eurotrash and very Eurovision. I enjoyed them much more than our lott.

Serbia were muck but their brand of music/song is presumably popular in their part of Europe so neighbouring countries might vote for it for that reason.

Our song was bland, cookie cutter type Anglo boy band muck. Pound shop harry styles. We've only got the UK and maybe the Dutch interested in that $hite and their votes clearly weren't enough.

There's no vendetta against us. We're just clueless to what the continent are interested in.

"Pound shop Harry Styles" is definitely the most spot on description I have heard for the act last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Crap song Crap singer terrible staging and bizarre wardrobe. I would have been shocked if we had got through.

The wardrobe was grand in isolation but didn't fit the band in question.

It was like we were trying desperately hard to squeeze in some camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭glitterIsland

I'm glad we didn't get through because we would have been disgraced in the finals.

Belgium has a good song. I hope they win. Hopefully it's not Sweden that wins. So long as they don't catch up with us. I am loving Belgiums entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭jackboy

It was a bit weird. The guy is not fat but the jumpsuit made him look obese. The terrible Dad at a wedding style dancing made it much worse.

That's not what I meant by didn't fit 🤣🤣🤣

They came across as a Script/Snow Patrol cover band who had been "gayed up" because someone on a committee said "that's what Eurovision likes"

• Registered Users Posts: 72,690 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Thought the presenters did a good job yesterday, especially Hannah Waddingham.

Having never seen either ‘Game Of Thrones’ or ‘Ted Lasso’, I was very impressed.

Although that ‘Mans vs Filomena’ segment fell a bit flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hannah and Julia had good rapport... Alesha was a bit out there on her own and was iirc she was the one with the thankless task of awkward interviews on couch with Big Five artists.

Hannah just needs to engage indoor voice not west end voice! She is not in panto although she could banter with Dustin.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

How can people be disappointed that song didn’t get through? Useless song, bad costumes, not great lead vocals. Feel sorry for the band Wild Youth but their biggest mistake was not sending one of their own songs or being themselves.

They did read the room , it’s just the room is in an echo chamber.

If anyone checked their twitter before voting they wouldn’t vote for them , it’s a cesspit

Not one of Luke Kelly songs are about any of that . Probably because he sang British folk songs mainly 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭forumdedum

• Registered Users Posts: 72,690 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

My predictions to qualify tomorrow…

Austria

Denmark

Belgium

Poland

Estonia

Australia

Armenia

Slovenia

Cyprus

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Hope the site is back online by Saturday evening, Eurovision wouldn't be the same without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

These wild youth pricks are a cr@p band anyway. They don’t have any good songs or albums. They are not in the same level of good Irish indie bands like Delorentos or even Picture This. Jeez, even the thrills from 10/15 years ago had 3 nice albums. These wild youth wokies are just late late show and 6 o’clock show band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭unichick

I disagree. I’ve seen them live in Cork in support of Lewis Capaldi & they are a good band. They had one stand out tune so far. Obviously not the Eurovision song. I’m still confused. Their lead singer broke his arm not his vocal cords. The guy has way more charisma & charm. He should have sang. I do feel sorry for them. The amount of hate they got & they are young men. They have been ill advised re that choreographer sacking.

Advertisement