Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying for PPS number outside ROI

• 24-08-2022 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭

I posted this in AH , but maybe here is better actually ..

Hi,

I need to apply for a PPS number for my son - we live abroad but he has an Irish passport.

He needs the PPS as he inherited some money from his granny that recently died (my mother).

I also need my own as I have long lost mine.

The email cis@welfare.ie are ignorning my emails (this is the official point of contact)

I cannot get through to any number - just rings out or if I'm lucky they redirect me to the email...

I have the form for my son and filled out and emailed the scanned docs to the email above, but nothing ...

Anyone do this recently ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

This page has all the details:

Government departments are quite slow around here, so it might be some time before you get a response. How long have you been waiting? If you are concerned that your email did not go through, you can always post the documents to the address listed instead. However I wouldn't expect a quick response in either case.

Same reply as After Hours.

Normal processing time for PPS numbers is 5/6 weeks depending on location, and your application is probably waiting in a queue to be processed. I think you said you applied in June?

So far this year, up to the start of August, there have been 183k+ new PPS numbers issued - that is more than 1000 a day, (hardly slow) and more than the number for 2021 in total. They are estimating it will top 300k this year.

You'll just have to be a little patient and wait until they get to yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Just as a point.

If I were to will some money to my cousin in the UK who is a British citizen they wouldn't need a Irish PPS number to claim the money.

If the OP is so long out of the state that they have lost their PPS number then presumably they are resident for tax purposes in that other country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Yes but according to my solicitor, I need a PPS number, so does my son, anything more than 15k in inheritence the receiver needs a PPS...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭BarneyJ

Assuming you are resident in Ireland and the money is held in an Irish bank account, if the amount your cousin was to inherit from you exceeded €12,000 then your cousin would need an Irish PPS number. He/she would have to apply for one.

Your executor could be held personally liable if your cousin, as a non resident beneficiary, had a CAT liability as a result of the inheritance but did not pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

PPS application accepted and will get it in the post, so the ball is rolling.

Thanks!

Advertisement