Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual Subbing Long Term Viable?

Options
  • 25-08-2022 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭

Hi all, thank you for the advice on this forum, always very courteous and helpful. I have just finished two maternity leave placements that have ran since sept 2019. I am currently on the look out for a new job, had two interviews lately and unfortunatley neither came to success. I have poor enough subjects in geography and history. I am however farming fairly substantially and probably could get by with it as my primary job, but i am worried the way the world is going in Agriculture so want to keep my teaching going after doing all the work to get here.

i will worry about the tax end of it if it comes to that. I was just wondering can long time subbing causually for maybe two schools be viable? As you can imagine im limited in distance that I can travel with my farm business. Casual subbing would suit me for farming great but would i lose out heavily on pensions? if a nice job came up in a local good school in 2/3/4 years would it look bad that I picked and chose which schools i worked in or would it go on interview? Recently on the last interview the principal said i was just pipped to the job, I have just found out that a PME freshly graduated in June got the job, even though i have brought through a class through full LC history and got extremely good results which can be verified if the school wants to. So this kind of thing made me wonder sos experience really matter at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

I don't think experience counts for anything being honest. Two years ago I went for a jobshare for a job I'd done (apparently successfully) for a year. Lost out to a NQT..... It really does seem to be who you know, not what you know, is important in Ireland unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I would echo what Cateym said. If anything, I've learned that a lot of it is who you know.

With regards to subbing, that is what I will be doing for the rest of my life as trying to get full hours with only H won't happen. The plus side is I can afford to sub.

I had a great conversation with a teacher last June, who told me that it was only this year - his 10th - that he started to make the money he made from subbing in his first year.

Maybe go with the farming now with the subbing as a bit on the side. If the right job comes up and you get it, win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I was kind of thinking this alright, I wouldnt be as bothered only i have put a lot of investment ,planning and work into the farm the last 6 or 7 years, from breeding and systems to infastructure and land improvements and i am doing well out of it from an income point of view although i do love teaching my subjects its not every school i would be running to, lifes to short to have that stress upon you if you can avoid it. A super sub type of set up in a nice school would be ideal to be honest and might even leave me in the sweet spot as regards tax. any other advice on this greatly appreciated.

Advertisement