Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads in foreign languages

Options
  • 25-08-2022 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

every time I open a page on boards, there's quite a delay (as much as 30 seconds in the worst case). Intriguingly, I'm being presented with ads in Finnish and perhaps Italian across the top or down the side - depending on the page format (I think when I actually open a discussion, the ads are down the side). Occasionally they are actually in English.

Anyone else getting this? Is it something in Boards, or something to do with cookies? Can it be rectified?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, Shield.

I'm still a bit confused as to why this happens. Your response seems to suggest that the ad appears because of something 'wrong' in boards.ie, whereas my suspicion was that it was something on my pc. I say this because I've seen the same thing happen on other sites that I visit. In honesty I'll admit I first raised a query on it, here on Boards, as I was not confident of getting any response from any of these other sites.

Anyway, if you or anyone else fancies blinding me with science, I'd be keen to read anything on it. In the meantime, I'll dig about on the Internet to see where else it has occurred. After posting my OP - yes AFTER🙄 - I found something about Google seeing something in a Google users profile that controlled what languages are used in ads. If its permitted I'll refer to it here in a subsequent post - if that's not permitted , let me know.

In the meantime, I'm going to add a copy of the link to the ad that currently is showing while I'm typing this reply, to the thread you indicated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Well.....

I found a reference to Google ad services and did a bit of reading. It seems that Google Ad Services respects my choices. I found how to turn off personalisation and by pressing a button I was given this :

" Ad personalisation

You turned ad personalisation off. You can turn it back on to make your ads more useful to you. "

Miraculously, the foreign language ads have gone away. I don't even use Chrome as my browser....

I hope this is useful to someone.

Advertisement