Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing asphalt on flat roof?

Options
  • 25-08-2022 12:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭

We've a house with a flat roof to the side and back, built 1953, and i've been up on it every year for the last five or ten years plugging gaps in the asphalt as it's pulled away from the wall of the house, and has created a gap of 1cm or thereabouts, and lets water in. I've had a couple of roofers look at it who seemed happy enough to felt over it, but i don't see the wisdom in putting felt over asphalt that old, and which is slowly failing.

Any other options other than asphalt again? I guess I'm asking at a bad time given how materials costs have gone. I'd probably have just continued to patch it along the wall but the tear in the second photo happened in the last few weeks, i think during the hot weather and that's obviously going to continue to tear and needs addressing.

the roof itself is concrete, probably 3 or 4 inches thick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭bemak

probably best to leave it in place and put rigid insulation (to falls) on top of it. Then a new membrane on top of that with new flashing to the existing house and verges.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers - it's 70 years old and possibly shrinking so wasn't sure if it'd make sense to spend a good bit of money on something that would sit on top?

Advertisement