Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do the 30-somethings have it handier

• 25-08-2022 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭

Just googled this to be sure I didn't dream it.

18 Jul 2002 — The Department of education said registration fees for third level institutions will go up from €396 to €670 for the 2002/2003 academic year

Jaysus and even then I was raging. 2022 is not a good time to be bright eyed and bushy tailed

Ye hear the usual "boohoo no accommodation" moans from students. Which I do recall as being an issue even back then, certainly in Dublin

Any thoughts on whether we 30-somethings had it handier? I think we did overall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not as handy as us 40-somethings had it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Late gen x/early millennials (of which I am one) definitely had it handier. It was the Celtic Tiger after all. Lower costs, jobs easy to find. Life was pretty sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I got my office to pay for my degree then I left that was handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Hmm. Hard to know really isn't it?

I'm 36. I have a mortgage, wife, children - and loans, loans, loans, and a childcare bill double that of the mortgage each month. I don't feel like I have it particularly 'handy'. Shur isnt' it well for me that i'm in a position to be bled dry I'll hear people who have no house, or can't afford kids cry.

My first professional job out of college paid me 18K a year, in 'a time of plenty', back in 2007. I got 15 months out of it, and lost my job when it all came tumbling down. I was in the wilderness then for some years until in 2012 I finally got in the door with a job in my area of qualification again, but wages were dogshit and I only started earning something half decent in the last 3 years after a long hard slog of working up to it, moving around, upskilling etc. Again, that didn't feel particularly 'handy'.

Honestly I think if you are mid 40s and up, you had the best chance of having a comfortable life if you didn't overspend/overcommit the bollocks off yourself in the boom tiger times.

Not sure I’d like to be a 30 something right now- taking the average 30 something as opposed to someone filthy rich:

1. To have purchased a house with a strong level of equity and low price compared to what house prices are now, you’d want to have purchased in your mid to late 20s or early 30s at very latest - so up to about 2017 or so- with most people only buying in their 30s and indeed many at home with parents saving, I’d say only a small percentage have done this
    2. Rising interest rates and low housing supply and high prices make it a challenging purchase right now
    3. The working world is a challenging one today compared with the past decades- a lot of instability, constant change and an uncertain future - those in their 30s are better placed to deal with this than those in their 50s but still must be challenging

Nope, I don’t think overall I’d like to be a 30 something- I think I had it easier back in the day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I won't lie, the all-but-free University was incredible. I moved to the UK in 2011 just as the coalition trebled the fees which were £3,000 before the increase.

I feel like I'm in this weird cohort of getting some of the benefits today's 40-somethings had such as the aforementioned debt-education but still getting screwed on housing.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

No the 30 somethings do not have it easy.

A lot of us in our 30s came out of college just in time for a global recession and the country was fecked. Job opportunities were few and far between and many of us had to emigrate.

Wages have stagnated since we've come out of college too while house prices have gone through the roof. It has meant that for many of us key milestones in our life have been pushed back compared to the generation that came before such a buying a house, getting married, and having children.

Each generation has its own challenges but those of us in our 30s certainly haven't had it easy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Honestly, you're right. House prices are absurd. I emigrated and my sister who's on welfare got one for free from family. I've two siblings in the countryside on secure public sector jobs so they'll be grand as well. Anyone in a city is basically screwed.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Far more emigrated in the 1980s, the tide turned in the 1990s. That before you start looking at the 1950s etc.

So no doubt its not great now. But people don't feel they have no choice other than to emigrate, unlike the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

As someone who just turned 50 but working with people in their mid/late 30s, I wouldn't fancy being in that position again (Apart from the fact my old body is knackered). Many of these people are from outside Ireland and only here max of about 8 years, so seeing them being unable to afford a place, or paying almost double my mortgage to RENT, I really feel for them. I know, I know, 86.75% of threads on Boards are about house property or Dole but yeah, that's gotta be tough.

I think it will improve faster for people in their mid/late 30s faster than people in their late 20s. In that, as the global economy starts to improve, they will be in a better position to take advantage. I believe that people currently in their mid/late 30s will gain the most from a resurgent economy in a few years (And people just about to retire then. Hopefully a nice bounce back on pension investments). I think people in their mid/late 30s have a very good work ethic which will enable them to use/benefit from a more buoyant economy (Hopefully in next 4 years or so).

As perverse and wrong as this may sound, I think they may have it a bit easier than people in their 40s as that was probably the last time period where many people COULD afford/had the opportunity to purchase a home. However many of these people were stuck in massive negative equity positions for many years (Now, I assume well out of it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Your experience isn't a million miles from my own, When I graduated, jobs were plentiful, but jesus, the college years were the poorest I've ever been, free education or not, working in a bar and nightclub for €2.50 an hour to try and have the price of a monthly bus ticket up and down.

roll on ten years, and went through getting married, the bust, wage cuts, having kids, and its really only in the last few years that it feels that we (the family) are getting ahead.

I think the problem with the 40-50 year old generation, is that we've been hardened by the struggle we had, and it can be difficult to empathize with the 20 somethings of today, as their struggles are different to ours. I don't envy them at all, and can only hope that things will have stabilized by the time my kids are a similar age.

Almost every older generation had it harder than the generation that came after them.

These days people are obsessed with the rat race that is housing. They can't see past that.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

Certain aspects are handier but a lot of unique factors that didn't really apply to people born before or after. I remember graduating in 2011 in a niche field with really poor prospects at the time, was on the dole for over a year before getting a job. At the same time I was able to rent a room in Dublin for €300 during that time, so was able to just about get by, pick up bits of freelance work here and there and improve my overall skills.

Had I been 5 years younger or older, I probably wouldn't have been on the dole as long, but would have had a similar amount of money in my pocket, on an entry level salary and paying exorbitant rent.

I would say many people today would not live in the low standard of cheap housing we lived in back in the day. Much of it was dire and a health hazard. But it was cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have scientifically worked this out 😅

You need to have left school or college in the early to mid-90s post the massive unemployed of the 1980s and the start of the enormous expansion of third-level education, you also need to have purchased a home sometime before 1997/98, then you had it made, as long as the downturn of 20007 didn't hurt you too much, so somewhere between 40 and 50.

Or else you need to have made it good in the late 60s and early 70s when Ireland modernised a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Idk, I'm a 30 something year old and still in college, depends on the profession, tbf grants were more easily accessible back in the day, beyond hard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I am early 30s and I know very few people my age who have had it handier. I graduated from school in a recession and finished college in 2016 when house prices were well on the way to going up to unrealistic affordability.

Those I know who had started with the process of job and getting a house earlier in life are still in the minority of having a house. Even then these are people who are in long-term relationships and have managed to just about get a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

We can dismiss this quote immediately.

We have no time for young ones an their fancy edumecation! Grants! In fairness I'll grant you that. Only grant you'll get now pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you were going to college in 2002 you're either already or nearly a 40-something. Sorry if that comes as a bit of a shock!

• Advertisement

I don't remember grants being that easy back in the day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

In my day, before fees were abolished fees were £1,200 a year for an ordinary degree. This was in early 90s when the average industrial wage wasn't much higher than £12k. There was a facility for parents to covenant income, which attracted a tax deduction. Grants were available to kids of parents from low income backgrounds, not sure if this is still the case? I was lucky enough as my dad was a civil servant and bought his house for buttons in the 1960s.

After a few trips to the college bar when one or two of the other lads were rather tardy offering to buy a round, while also spending like three hours to get through a pint of cheap Fosters or Harp (these were the days before political correctness, student booze promos were still the done thing) it slowly dawned on me it wasn't because they were being stingy or even because they didn't like boozing, they literally didn't have the cash.

Incidentally, I've long thought the abolition of uni fees was a mistake. Our unis have slipped down the rankings ever since (granted the 2008-2011 financial crisis was a factor also).

The real issue today is the widening gap between the rich and relatively poor.

Actual age or how you feel. Because age is just a number. I hesitate to say this...but are you ageist?

Being in your thirtys in 2022 sucks in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Im cough 50s and no it wasn’t bloody easier. College fees were 1000 pounds a year starting. Then accommodation etc. my parents earned little and because we were not politically connected, no grant.

i worked two jobs and went to college to afford it. 195 out of 210ish left to go abroad immediately when we graduated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

If I was smart about it, I should have just worked and saved for a house and then go into Edumaction afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

But you forget that if you a 50s you are of a generation when going to university/college was a big deal it was pre-college for everyone times, and that's why repeating the leaving was so popular, house prices only really rose expediently after 1997, by the mid-90s a lot of emigrants were returning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm 38 and was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Multi millionaire oul pair.

College students today just stay in your oul lad's Dublin apartment rent free when you are going to college.

I was so spoilt I left school at 15 and got a job on a building site.

• Advertisement

People in 30s have it easier than people in their 20s......but I'd shudder to think what mess the world will be in for the generation of kids being born nowadays

,they will end up living in Victorian era style inequality of wealth/opportunities by time they reach 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Many of us also never came back fully. I’m one that bought his first house in 2008…. Many of the current generation 30s have never really known the hardship of having literally nothing in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Generally every generation has it more difficult than the previous one but it's not all great. Young people today have great opportunities for education, travel compared to 30 years ago but obviously things like housing are much worse

Did you see a modern council house. Solar panels and everything and expensive kitchens. Build cheap council house of the 70's and in the same numbers as back then and it will take care of all the housing needs of the country. They were throwing council houses at people in the early 80's as a few relatives got them but moved out when they got some money together so it was obviously easy to get them and cheap to live there that if you were working you were able to save up and buy a house in a better area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Oh I know. Friend of mine bought a house in an estate. Next door neighbour is social housing. Would sicken me to the pit of my stomach to know you worked your balls off for years and then your next door neighour gets the same thing for practically free. Social housing should never be brand new houses.

The reason repeating became popular was you could combine results from more than one year to get points.

I don't remember it being a big deal. Seemed like ever other person I knew was in college doing something or other. Then seemed like they all ended up in the states on the J1 visa. Then they all emigrated when they left college. Because there was no jobs or opportunities in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

These are the good old days, don't forget it.

Whatever age you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

I've to agree with this. I'm 34, we bought our house in 2017 before everything went mental and had a decent deposit so we're ok here. I'm lucky enough that the first loan I had was my mortgage. Came out of college 2010 no jobs really. Got on a graduate program in IT in 2012 and done well so that between the two of us.

Saying that I do worry for my kids, it's likely they'll need a good bit of support to be able to get a house, through college etc. Which if things stay mainly the same we should be in a position to,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Yeah I'm hopeful to burst through the clouds at some point and realise i'm in a pretty comfortable financial situation....... in the short term future when the two kids are in primary school it should give some bit of a lift and breathing space, but no doubt there'll be other things coming in to be paid for then, but hopefully outstanding loans will be well cleared by then. I was like you, never had a loan til mortgage, always saved for what i need, but i've come across some things I can't wait 3 years to save for and need 'now' such as cars so, loans were needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Agree that every generation generally has it easier than the last. But I worry that those in their 20s now might buck that trend.

I was a 70s kid and we had no central heating, just an open fire. The recessions of the 70s and 80s were desperate and grim and interest rates in double digits. A lot of people had no money left for a few days before payday or doleday.

Bedsits were home for many in their 20s. I spent nearly a year on the dole after university before getting my first job for €12,500 equivalent in 1994.

But people my age were lucky to come of age work wise in the mid 90s as things took off. Jobs, proper housing standards, Internet and mobiles, accessible travel...reverse immigration.

But that said I was in house shares until I was 30, as were most of my friends. No one was in a rush to buy. Then rented solo before buying a 1 bed apartment in the city centre. Bought a house at celtic tiger peak in mid 2008. Prices on my street are only recently hitting the level I paid.

I have the beloved tracker mortgage and never had to save for a deposit. Since I started working have always had money for holidays and at least 1 night out a week.

So some things were better for people my age and some worse. Mixed bag imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭purpleshoe

I think every generation have daunting challenges unique to them that they must overcome. I don’t think that will ever change.

Having said that, I do feel sorry for those 20 somethings on the cusp of adulthood, and the current teenagers coming behind them. The world has just become so hard to now achieve stability and get ahead in.

One can argue it has always be present in Ireland but the growing wealth divide has really caught my attention over the last 3 years. Pretty much driven by the housing mess. Young couples and individuals out there destroying themselves just to get a place to rent, never mind buy. Everything they have going into just having a roof over their head. This scenario will likely be around for years to come.

It was never perfect for generations past but it has noticeably escalated to a whole other level now. In my time (the last recession), I had to deal with negative equity. But on the flip side I had a tracker mortgage, kept my job, paid into a pension, and saw my pay package go further thanks to deflation. I understand that that was not everyone’s experience back the but it was for many. Really small fries to what those coming behind me have to now deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If people in their 20's stopped spending so much money on coke they might find life a bit easier and have money to save for a house.

Pure scrap too. There was a test recently done on cocaine in UK(I'm 100% positive ours is the same) and there was actually very little cocaine in the pile of powder. I should have read the article better to see what was the mixing agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Of course they did, lower rents, lower costs in general, easier to find a place to rent, cheaper house prices. No major inflation price rises, I think gen z is really having a hard time , housing costs, inflation, high rents, yes there's plenty of jobs but you need to live somewhere. Not to mention climate change is really starting to effect Europe in the last year.

Advertisement