Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you move seats to allow families sit together on flights?

Options
  • 25-08-2022 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I saw this about Vogue Williams -

Basically she rants about someone who would not give up a booked seat to accommodate her.

Personally I would not move - typically I pick a seat that suits me, frequently I pay for it, and I would definitely not give up an aisle seat for a middle or window.

It is a sense of entitlement that someone else should inconvenience themselves to suit her.

Should people bend over backwards for others or suit ourselves?

Post edited by cuttingtimber22 on

Comments

I usually travel with my family and we always make a point of reserving our seats in advance. If we couldn't do that, and we had to sit apart, I would ask people if they'd be willing to swap seats. But I would not be offended if they refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

That didn't happen. Certainly in that fashion anyway. It's just cheap publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I don’t know if it has or has not happened. But I know that I have been asked to move seats on many flights - not just for couples. My favourite was the person who was afraid of flying in the middle seat.

To be honest what really annoys is the people who turn up who did not book seats in advance at all and then want people to do multiple moves to accommodate. I would probably swap aisle with aisle if broadly equivalent. But not a chance if it was going to inconvenience too much. I did make an exception when one person was on crutches (accident while away).

She's some clown,mouthing off online at someone else and she 100% in the wrong

That bloke is long overdue an apology from her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Vogue to be Irelands replacement for our national icon , Twink.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Depends, if I thought they were okay on first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

I moved once from an aisle seat to the middle to accommodate a young lady who "doesn't travel well" and might need the toilet to puke into. I obliged.

Realised after her friend had an aisle seat (and didn't swap with her) not once did she get up to use the bathroom on that 3 hour flight.

I'd be slow to do it again tbh. But if a family with young kids, probably would tbh. Can't blame anyone who wouldn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

If they were nice about it, maybe, but if they came across rude and entitled, then probably not. I'm such a people pleaser so would probably end up giving it up regardless 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If I've paid for my seat, no way am I moving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No, I wouldn’t…

i book and choose seats to suit my own comforts and requirements…and pay money to do so.

if others haven’t the cop on or inclination to do the same I’m not going to be inconvenienced and start manoeuvring myself and bag around the busy cabin and start searching for a free seat whilst others try and board…She booked the wrong seat apparently, how the fûck does one book the wrong seat on a flight ? She booked the right seats for her family so how she ended up….hmmm.. there is a seat map ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

No. Her sense of entitlement is sickening. Just expects everyone to faun around her.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As long as she doesn't talk, she's welcome to sit on my lap!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Rich people so used to having their way, an objection leads to a childish tantrum.

How dare this pleb not bend over and obey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I'd move usually unless with family myself. Mistakes happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I live in the States, and travel back to Ireland 1-2 times a year. Its an overnight flight so I usually book a window seat to give me a better chance of getting some sleep. I got on the plane one Christmas (having booked 7 months before), and there was a toddler in my seat beside his Dad. His wife, with another baby, were on an aisle seat opposite.

After making a fuss of moving the child and apologising when it was clear I wanted to sit down in my paid seat (toys, food, the whole lot everywhere), the guy started some fairly weak efforts at trying to manipulate me to move. But hey, it was Christmas, so I offered to move to his wife's aisle seat so the four of them could sit together in the 2 seats.

Not possible from a safety perspective according to the very p!ssed off air hostess, so she said she'd try and find an alternative down the plane. Came back and said that she had three seats together at the back of the plane. The guys eyes lit up until she gestured to me to come down and take 3 seats to myself, leaving them sitting apart where they were. She was muttering something about the 'cheek of some people,' while apologising to me for having to put up with their nonsense

If someone was moving to get away from their family I might have sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,950 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Was flying to San Francisco and had an extra legroom seat behind a bulkhead type seat.

Airhostess asked me would I move to let a couple sit together. One was beside me. The other was in the section ahead. She said the seats were the same. I said no problem.

When I got up to move, I realised the seat I was moving to was at the back of a section beside a toilet. So I came back and said to the person, sorry, I dont want to sit for hours beside the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That precise reason and others similar that it’s always “ no, sorry I booked and chose the seat, it’s mine, sorry “..

it seems in life now people are constantly having to set aside their own needs, wellbeing and comfort to enable the very same in others, just because the ‘others’ are in a relationship and or have kids…..

personally I wouldn’t be impressed by the flight attendant asking even…

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It would depend on the circumstances and if they asked nicely. I always like an aisle on a flight so I can nip to the loo.

I did get upgraded to business class on a flight randomly due to a woman giving out so much about not sitting together with her other half (she was truly horrible to the woman at the desk. The woman at the desk then called me and my other half over and asked if we had two seats together (we did), would we mind giving them to this lady and her other half....and she would move us to business class....the woman's face...lol.

It was a flight from Ethiopia to Cape town so not a small hop either. Would recommend Ethiopian airlines business class anyway!

• Advertisement

I was on a flight from Montreal to London. A couple 2 rows from moved to allow a family to sit together. Well for 8 hours they were the loudest and rudest group on the flight. Not even the headphones could cancel them out. So no I wouldn't move seats, better to keep some of the herd separated.

That is what annoyed me. Telling me the seats were the same quality when they clearly were not. I don't think they were impressed seeing me reappear with all my bits and bobs but no way was I sitting there.

I said to the person beside me, maybe the person beside your partner will swop with you and sit in your seat here. Nothing further said.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Interesting.

I used to travel standby as a child with my family in the 90s and 00s.

Airhostesses frequently asked people to swap seats so one of my parents might be with one or two of us kids.As I got bigger, the focus for my parents was that they would be able to sit with the smaller siblings, and myself and one other sibling could sit on our own in whatever other seats might be available.

Nobody ever objected or passed comment.Often the airhostess would offer them a small complimentary something as a thank you.

How times - and attitudes - have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Absolutely no to offering up my seat I paid to sit in - too many take their chance and they try to get others to accommodate them because they're cheapskates

What has also changed is people having to pay extra for to sit together. Before seats were categorised and graded, people might be less bothered being asked to move. You dont get any complimentary somethings now either. That might be driving the change in attitude. People who have paid extra for something or chosen something for a reason are not going to move for people who havent done so.

It would depend on how I was feeling, the seats and the attitude of those wanting to swap.

Why can't people book seats so they can sit together 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

In some cases they were probably just too late booking, in others they don't want to pay extra and think they'll guilt trip someone into moving, that's their problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You can buy a litter of orange juice and a large pack of dry roasted peanuts in German supermarkets for a total of 3 euros. Double the cost of a Ryanair flight, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

No, I wouldn’t. I do not like to be inconvenienced.

Not my problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I've been asked to move on occasion, and I've moved.

I haven't been asked to move on occasion, and I've offered to move off my own bat when I noticed a family split up.

I've gone to the trouble of making sure my family are all booked in seats together on pretty much all occasions.

There was one time it wasn't possible for some reason. We got on board, expecting to be somewhat dispersed, but the staff asked other people to move, as our kids were under whatever age, and it was a legal or safety requirement that they be supervised with their parent or guardian next to them. We felt a bit bad, as it wasn't our request. The people who were asked gladly obliged, and we thanked them. I'm not sure what would have happened if they didn't, I assume they would have just kept asking people until they came to someone who would oblige.

Advertisement