Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you move seats to allow families sit together on flights?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

I would, if they ask nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes I would ( provided it didn’t mean I had to move from my extra leg room - higher prices seat )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭newhouse87

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Had booked back seats of plane, woman with child beside me asked me and the girlfriend to change so she could have her child beside her."

"yeah ryanair, we only had to move one row up from back but girlfriends seat was being kicked all flight by child who should have been in front of us,"

So, the woman was sat next to you, and her child was sat in the row in front of you. And she asked both of you to move?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Yep, realistically she should have asked one person in the Childs row ahead to move but she obviously wanted back row, so me my girlfriend and 2 other passengers had to move to accommodate her. The other 2 female passengers were not too pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Yes because I am a meek low testosterone man who hates confrontation. Society walk all over men like me. I wish I could be one of those men who have the confidence to cause scenes in public by standing up to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I need to sit in an aisle seat near the toilet for mobility reasons. I book an aisle seat near the toilet when I’m booking my flight. If I’m being moved to an aisle seat nearer to the toilet then I can move, but I can’t if I’m being moved anywhere else. And I’m not explaining all that either, to the air steward or the person requesting to sit in my seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

For some people and some circumstances, yes I would move. Especially if it was a short flight....

For Vogue Williams, no. I'd tell her to hand me €200 if she really needed my seat, otherwise sit the F down and close her enormous gob.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭ax530

I was sitting next to a woman on flight before who offered to swap so my husband could sit next to me.

I said no need she insisted went over to my husband he was happy out where he was but in end agreed and swapped seems neither of them wanted to sit next to me when I had a baby on my lap.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe you're overthinking it and it wasn't anything to do with your baby 😁

• Advertisement

Is there ever a clear explanation for why the person wanting someone to move seats for their benefit didn’t book the particular seats they require in advance?

• Re emergency exit seats, I was recently enough on a flight from Lisbon in the row behind the emergency exit, one fairly elderly gentleman with seemingly cognitive issues was sat by emergency exit on his own in that row of seats. The flight attendant questioned whether he felt able to open the exit and skids down the wing promptly in an emergency and he first looked extremely puzzled and asked what did the attendant mean. He was clueless to it being an emergency exit or how he could go about operating it, so he was required to swap seats with a. Dry strong and tall young man who was able to affirm he could operate the exit. I don’t know if the elderly man had paid extra, presumably he had, but I’m half guessing a relative might have assisted him with the booking and maybe thought more legroom would be comfortable without considering the implications of having to open door in an emergency, and indeed to be able to make correct decision re fire on the wing if that turned out to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

The only one I can think of is if they missed a connection and were put into another flight. But that is not the case with Ryanair and I would say is relatively rare with Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

You didn't pay for seats back then they were just assigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Unfortunately in life, tight cünts are sometimes a thing.

but the entitled tight cûnt who won’t pay, but still wants the service or product while someone else who did pay looses out… are just scummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

It would absolutely depend on the context. If they wanted me to move to a middle seat, hell no, too bad.

Now, maybe if they had a disabled child or someone with special needs etc I'd say yes, usually.... lol but I would curse them in my mind for not booking/paying/reserving their own.

Why would they need to pay when they can just use their child’s disability to manipulate the situation once they board the plane? In my line of work I’ve seen parents employ this attitude consistently as the years go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I have never had this issue as I always book Row 1. Last on the plane, first off. For the princely sum of €10-€20 per flight. It's a no-brainer. I can never believe that when i'm booking a flight, Row 1 is always available. Miserable gits (but to my benefit!).

Another little 'hack' that works 9/10 times for us.... Book 1A and 1C. Unless the flight is full, you'll have a free seat between the 2 of you, extra stretch space.

• Advertisement

I want to put this in context by adding that the strain of taking care of a disabled child in Ireland these last few years would leave you so totally disinterested in the needs of others that this is where it leads.

“Nobody cares about me or my child so why should I care about anyone else.

I don’t need to queue.

I don’t need to have patience.

I don’t need to be polite or even kind to people working in the service industry “. Etc etc.

Thats an argument for another thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭chooseusername

€10 euro flight, €14 for the seat for a 1 hour flight, only to end up on the same bus to the terminal as granny in seat 19A. But at least you’re first on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Maybe for your destinations. For mine, i've always walked to the terminals. Especially handy when rushing for a bus upon arrival at Dublin... you're first in the Q (of your flight) at passport control. The last few flights i've landed into Dublin, there were no other flights... straight to passport control, straight out the arrivals door (hand luggage only) and straight on to the bus... no hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,472 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

youll get a seat on said bus, which will be 10-15 minutes loading up people.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bartkingcole

• Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

So wanted to split up her family so he could sit with his family? Or did I read that wrong?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

i was on a flight one year, from the UK to the US. A 10 hour flight. I had booked one of Virgin's extra space seats. It was a very full plane. The layout of the seats allowed for all my row to have extra space and also the window seat from the row behind would also have extra space.

A couple in the row behind complained to the staff that they had both booked extra space but only one of the seats had it (window seat). They were also phoning Virgin customer service from the plane as they were discussing it with the flight crew.

The main flight attendant came down and said that they were sorry about the issue and a mistake had been made. She had one free seat on the whole plane and it was in First Class and she was offering it to the woman who was seated in the seat without extra space. They refused the seat as they wanted to sit together. The guy beside them asked if he could take it and thus give the full row to the couple. The flight attended said this wasn't possible as Virgin were now super strict on upgrades to protect those who had paid large sums for their 1st class ticket. (I'm assuming this may not have been an issue if a lower value seat was free.) And she could only offer the seat if it resulted in giving the passenger an extra space seat - which she had paid for.

I offered to give up my seat to the woman in exchange for the First Class seat. The way the seats were configured, my seat was almost adjacent to the man's seat. The flight crew agreed. The couple refused to swap.

In my head, If I had been upgraded, would have had a few options. They could have given the man beside them my seat and taken their own row to themselves, they could have taken my seat for themselves and then had 3 seats between the two of them to use whichever way they wanted during the flight i.e. sit together sometimes and then take advantage of the extra space when needed.

So when the flight took off. Everyone was in their original seat. The First Class seat was empty and the couple moaned all through the 10 hr flight about how cramped her seat was.

Sometimes there is no pleasing people. I always assuming that they refused my option as they didn't want someone else benefiting from an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

That's insane.

What is it with people when they get on a plane that their brain function diminishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Advertisement