Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 US Open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Murray kicked into gear here playing some decent stuff...levelled up at one set all..now 4-1 up in third

Murray coasts through in the end really in 4 sets...Nava really not up to much tbh still only 20 though I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭cudsy1

I watched first set, well over an hour, murray looked totally wrecked, I thought he was gonna lose in 3 or 4. I googled nava tho, only 7th game at tour level I think? He was unreal first set.

Yeah that first set was a slog. Yeah Nava really inexperienced and it showed.

Fair play to Murray though he is a battler if nothing else, Berrettini in the next round is a tough ask though.

Watching some of the Draper match as I can't sleep, wow he has been good, serve pretty effective and forehand excellent. Up two sets now on auger aliassime! (And now a break in the third)

I see Serena Williams has beaten Kontaveit, a terrific win, but a long match you would expect that to come back and bite her.

Post edited by gmisk on

Terrific third set from Jack Draper, he beats auger aliassime 6-4, 6-4, 6-4

In January Draper was outside top 250 with this run he will be inside the top 50.

I am guessing big drop for auger aliassime in rankings after this as he was defending a lot of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

To beat Ruusuvori and FAA without dropping a set is actually remarkable. I was thinking he could be top 30 a month ago, the brits could be looking at a top 10er!

Dan Evans looked to be sailing through against Duckworth but slipped a bit in the third set...but through in four to play Cilic

Saw some of the Alcaraz match very impressive.

Norrie two sets up on Sousa but third one very tight, but he takes on tie break.

Incredibly solid really as usual doesn't make many errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭cudsy1

I had coric brooksby on in the background. Brooksby seriously clutch, real dog. Coric brutal on break and set points. 4 games took over 40 minutes in 3rd set. Back down to earth I suppose. Forehand seems a weak point alright as glasso was saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,553 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm glad she got knocked out,

Post edited by BorneTobyWilde on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

.. anyway, quite happy to see Azarenka handily beat Kostyuk and is through to the third round.

Kostyuk refused the handshake, offering only a racquet tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Politics forum is that way ------------------->

Berrettini just that bit too good for Murray in first set (his serve is working well!)

Needed 6 match points to do it after failing to serve it out, but Jabeur finally into the US Open 4th round for the first time.

• Advertisement

Flicking between the Draper and Murray match.

Murray showed some serious fight in the third set with Berrettini..but still two sets to one down.

Draper has improved in second set it's tight (khachanov didn't give him a look in on first set - really impressive) - one set all

Momentum really shifted in the Draper match.. he was 3-0 up in third set.. Khachanov angry with himself (and the crowd!)..but has now broke back...very tight

Murray out.... Berrettini looking very good

Draper struggling with injury....looks to be on way out now...khachanov serving for third set and draper now retired...shame had been doing well.

Ruud and Paul is a real ding dong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Serena out, glad she didn't get the " fairlytale" ending. A great player in her prime, which is a long time ago now, has to be said that she did dominate the women's game in a really weak era, especially in her thirties where her opposition was really poor, had no real opposition from about 2010 onwards. Glad to see the back of her, all the drama Queen antics, fake sincerity and the fawning media circus around her.

Kyrgios marches on! Absolutely hammered J.J Wolf. Medvedev next!

Ruud came through against Paul in 5 sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Norrie is growing on me.

Norrie very good so far against Rune 2 sets up, created a lot of break points.

Norrie hammered him in third set 6-1.

Post edited by gmisk on

Rune seems a bit of a nut job, doesn't take much to get him going.

Tie break now between kvitova and muguruza. Both of these could win the tournament

Ha ha definitely is, but a real talent.

Very tight, good contest alright, hard to know in woman's draw tbh! Kvitova ground that out impressive.

Evans Cilic should be fairly tight.

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Feel two ways about Serena retiring. Yes she's a nasty piece of work, but at the same time she's held up women's tennis for a long time and her absence leaves a big hole in the game. A real shame she never got Margaret Court's 'record' though.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

Glad she is out, now it can be about the tournament and Serena.

Cilic is on fire in these first few games. Evans having to do a lot of running and fight for his service game. If this keeps up Cilic will win easy

I'm tempted to watch this but the Rublev/shapovalov match is really terrific...into a 5th set. I would say Norrie (who hasn't dropped a set yet) will delighted, whoever comes through it likely to be wrecked.

Ah sure early days in the cilic/Evans match. Heating up here though both players being abused by a spectator and both players complaining to the umpire. Want whoever it is removed.

Evans hasn't barely won a point on the cilic serve.

• Advertisement

Cilic wins 11 points in a row on serve.

Nadal-Gasquet is a night session on Ashe. Poor people who paid money for tickets and will have to sit through that 😬

They won't have to sit through it for long. Nadal may barely break a sweat. Cilic taking ages to serve, he has already been warned.

This is some tie breaker between Cilic and Evans. 10 each.

The tie breaker is going on for over 20 minutes.

Cilic takes the first set after having 7 set points. First set was an hour and 20 minutes. Tough set for Evans to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I fully believe Gasquet is a player who should receive no plaudits or good wishes. An example of what you can't achieve given you try as little as possible.

A player gifted with natural talent beyond even the big 3/4, wasted, plain and simple. Watching him at an underage level, I've never seen anyone as technically gifted. A generational talent, thrown down the toilet.

He's an example to kids, of someone who has talent and isn't bothered, and they'll get back meager results should they try as little. Made a good life for himself but should be ashamed it stunted as it did, trying as little as he did.

In terms of raw talent he's a genius, otherwise a disgrace to the game. Wasted what people would of died for. Practised hard in recent years, but can't just pick up what you left idle for over a decade. Another routine defeat against one of the big 4, by a player who had the talent to best the lot of the big 4. He's actually a disgrace .

Id argue I've never seen raw talent the likes of Gasquet had. Mercurial genius. Down the toilet. Serves him right really, now that he's trying

They'll see arguably the greatest player ever, versus the one who should of been the greatest ever. I remember when they played at underage, Gasquet worked Nadal around the court, had the ball on a string. People forget

I doubt it's a case of Gasquet not trying, I think he's a quintessential example of what a player who has zero self-belief looks like. Plus his relatively poor forehand was always gonna hold him back.

• Advertisement

Against Roddick in Wimbledon one year, against a Roddick on form, Gasquet embarrassed him, from start to finish. Battered him, as hard as Roddick tried. When Gasquet put it together that day it was a sight to behold, nothing could of lived with him, raw genius. One of the greatest displays of raw talent I've ever seen, no practice, nature and raw talent just took hold for one special evening. Nothing any player has ever displayed could of lived with Gasquet in that zenith of form imo. Tennis taken to a height no other great could achieve imo

You look into his history and form you'll definitely see a waining attitude since he left the underage game. Pure indifference for whatever reason.

Its been well noted over the years he's tried as little as possible, relative to other pros. Indifferent attitude, for nearly two decades till recently when it's too late

Poor forehand? Had 20 years to work on it. Didn't care. Thought he could wing it on talent. When the likes of Nadal really doubled down and put the work in, Gasquet didn't care, didn't bother, didn't try a leg tbh, relative to others. Didn't push on and evolve.

Believed his own arrogance he was better, which he was, but didn't work on it

Post edited by The Golden Miller on

Sounds alot like kyrgios, great talent but wasted it because he couldn't be bothered. Kyrgios now putting in a bit of a effort but imagine what he would be like if he did the hard work, he would be untouchable.

Its the reason Hewitt is the only player Kyrgios will look up to. Despite a turbulent relationship, Hewitt stuck by him and one of the reasons he's focused. All other OZ players against him

The difference in his consistency now is the Hewitt battling factor, Kyrgios young enough to change, Gasquet years past it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Might seem a bit harsh on Gasquet, but correct I'd say. There is also something either in the French psyche or their tennis federation, but you could level the same at Tsonga and Monfils. Unbelievable talent, but no backbone when it came to it. Monfils, in particular, versus ND in Oz(?) was shameful. Amazing to have a generation from one country so talented, yet won no majors. Similar happening at the moment with Italy, but hopefully Sinner, Berrettini or Musetti may step up.

Ruud totally trouncing Moutet so far.

Berrettini fighting back (serve really clicked) really well against Davidovich Fokina after losing first set.

Didn't watch the Sinner match but not surprised to see him beat Nakashima

• Advertisement

This Berrettini/Davidovich Fokina is really enjoyable...looks like it might be going to a 5th set.

Moutet manages to nick the third set...Ruud still has to be favourite.

Berrettini up a break in final set, good contest this one.

Insane court coverage from Gauff, into the QF's for the first time to face Caroline Garcia. She really is incredibly level headed for an 18 year old, playing under a huge lens in front of a packed Arthur Ashe stadium and taking it all in her stride. Garcia will be a tough match (or maybe not if Garcia bottles it), but if she can get past her then I think she can make the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

So Nadal, Alcaraz or Ruud to be World #1 next week.

Is it down to who goes the furthest in this competition?

• Advertisement
Advertisement