Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects redesign - Castleknock to Ashtown - Cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There's a huge Bus Connects thread on here already 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That's for bus and rail fantatics. This is a cycling perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Nothing to indicate that in thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

thanks, That is an excellent article, well argued and researched. It is actually shocking how poor the NTA have designed the junction at Aubourne Avenue.

Well I know its pro cycling. But I'm constantly baffled about the cycling infrastructure choices they make in D15. Just no logic to it. At least the Irish Cycle puts it in context of international best practice. Which is interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Meh, tbh I'm not sure there's much to get upset over. Like, his gripe is that cyclists haven't been given priority. In the BUSCONNECTS programme? The clue is in the name.

He goes on at length about cyclists having to yield to road traffic on the cul-de-sac parallel to the Navan Road, leading to the GAA Club. So what? Like, there is very little traffic and even fewer cyclists on that road, it's not a big deal at all but he makes it out to be a planning fiasco. It's not. It won't make a blind bit of difference to even one cyclist.

Some of his points make sense from a cycling perspective, but when you're shoehorning buses, cars, cyclists and pedestrians into confined spaces, there have to be compromises.

I appreciate his business depends on keeping cyclists outraged but it must be exhausting for him.

Shoehorning?

What they've done is been wasteful with space and it's been given to buses AND cars in priority over cycling. They've basically stuck cycling in what's left for no reason and then executed with complete disregard not just international best practice but even their own guidelines.

The point is not that buses get priority which is far enough but that cycling is mostly an afterthought and badly executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

In a nutshell, what's the issue? I don't see this from the first post. Is it just bikes giving way to cars on that small stretch of old Navan road which is now a cul-de-sac ending at the GAA club? It was a long article, always good to give a synopsis rather than just post the link. Its a small quiet road, not a big deal. perhaps they could fit a cycle lane in there.

From the two garages beside the GAA club onwards towards town there are cycle lanes on the Navan Rd, there's a cycle lane on Auburn Avenue, and you can cycle from town on the canal as far as the 12th lock. The M50 junction there is a bit messy, but that really a cycling issue as such.

It's this mindset...

Advertisement