Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobseekers benefit and Airbnb income / freelance work

• 26-08-2022 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Someone asked me to look into this on their behalf and I haven't been able to find a definitive answer online. Can someone is on jobseekers benefit rent out their home on Airbnb for additional income? They are fully unemployed and looking for work. They are aware that the income is taxable, but the question is whether it would impact their social welfare payments.

Secondly, is there any mechanism for someone on jobseekers benefit to freelance one or two days per week? I know that you are able to work part-time and still receive the payment. But freelancing requires to to register as self-employed (as far as I'm aware) so I think that would mean you would no longer be entitled to JSB. Is this correct? It seems unfair, as this person would not be able to get enough freelance work to fully sustain themselves, and is still looking for full time employment. But they would be able to work one day per week freelance in the meantime.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I completely agree that the line between going Self-Employed and receiving ANY bit of support is actually a bit brutal

It's all-or-nothing and it's tough. That's not to say that there's nobody claiming Social Welfare while doing certain jobs/freelance work (not that I'm suggesting that)

Advertisement