Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigeons wrecking my head

Options
  • 26-08-2022 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭

I have had Sunflower heart seeds out for years and always attracting the Finches Blue Tits and Sparrows however over the last few week a gang of Pigeons have been coming in and landing on the feeder and shaking it to drop the seed to the ground its got so bad I have stopped putting it out as the smaller birds don't get a look in they are chased away , I have put out Niger seed for the finches but they prefer the Sunflowers Seeds, is there anyway to try and put an end to their raids on the feeder. I am in Galway City and one other thing I have noticed is the Jackdaws have taken a liking to the nuts which I don't mind as they come and go but the Pigeons don't they hang around to see if the feeder comes out. Any tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

A neighbour has a similar situation and the only thing that seems to work is a "pigeon proof" feeder, but it has to we quite sturdy so they don't damage it.

I suggested also to offer the pigeons food (probably not sunflower seeds) in a more accessible/distant location to see if they prefer that than going through the hassle of saking the feeders, but she hasn't tried that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We have 3 normal pigeons, a wood pigeon and two collared doves who visit our garden regularly. I have a large feeder with sunflower seeds for the smaller birds which has a an anti-squirrel cage on it which keeps them off it by and large, although they do sometimes hang on to the tray I have undeneath to catch the mess, usually without success though. The peanut, fat ball and nijer feeders are too small for them so they either eat from the separate tray or the ground feeder which also has a cage over it by stretching their necks through the holes and eating all the food around the edge of the ground feeder tray! After a while they can't reach any further so that stops for a while and they just pick up scraps from underneath the table.

That keeps them reasonably happy, and I don't get overrun with them. I though the same about putting out a dedicated feeding station for them somewhere away from the other feeders, but as soon as I did that I think a message went around the local pigeon bush-telegraph and we were inundated with them, so I removed it and we're now back to our regulars again.

Advertisement