Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating

• 26-08-2022 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone, my family and I are considering relocating back to Ireland after almost 20 years away. We’re thinking Limerick County as we have family there. We’ve been considering both Abbeyfeale and Kilmallock. Which would be better for raising small children? Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I do not know about Kilmallock but Abbeyfeale is a beautiful rural town small enough that everyone knows each other

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LAT

Ok, thanks for the input. I’ve been swaying towards Abbeyfeale, primarily because I’ve been there and my family don’t live far from there. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I suppose it depends on other factors, like where you'll work - schools (primary and secondary) - what sports the kids play, etc... Kilmallock is 40min from the city whereas Abbeyfeale is an hour and 5min...

I'm a 'city boy' that recently moved to the country - but my ONE rule was it had to be 15min (ish) outside the city as I'm in and out with work, to friends, to play sports, etc...

I'm just off the road out to Kilmallock, just past ballyneety near the townlands of Grange/Caherelly/Ballybricken - and we LOVE it! A nice 15/20 min trip into work/city... with no traffic/roundabouts or lights to slow me... LOL. The perfect spot for us. Have plenty of options nearby for schools/GAA/shops/child-minding (plus shops/services in Caherconlish and Ballyneety) which make life easier, not having to rely on the "city"...

Just some food for thought.

Thanks for your input, closer proximity to the city might be worth considering. We currently live in the country and are looking for something in or walking distance to a town. We’re fed up of having to use a car for everything lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Kilfinane is lovely but with few amenities. The countryside around Abbeyfeale/ Templeglantine is indeed beautiful. Closer to Limerick City you have Castleconnell, a very popular location.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info! Hadn’t thought about Castleconell, I’ll check it out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

If you want best of both worlds, Castleconnell and Ballina/Kilaloe are both great option.

Ballina/Kilaloe is only 20 minutes to the city by motorway but has everything you'd need including supermarkets, bars, cafes, restaurants and it's a beautiful spot right on the mouth of Lough Derg.

Edit-not to mention train service to the city from Birdhill.

Advertisement