Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking to a US Police Officer III

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Xopher

What made you want to be a police officer, and if you could now would you have taken a different career path?

• Company Representative Posts: 189 Verified rep I'm a US police officer, AMA

What made you want to be a police officer, and if you could now would you have taken a different career path?

I always like the idea of public service, and as quaint as it sounds, of helping people. No family history as such other than a cousin who was a Guard and didn't know him that well. And sure, there is a certain excitement to it which had more appeal when I was younger. And there is still a degree of satisfaction in arresting a criminal.

Would I have done something different, probably not really. I think I'm just hard wired to do this sort of thing. I was in the Army before being a cop, I guess service is just my thing. Or maybe its the desire to wear ill fitting, hot polyester uniforms :-)

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 Redtop1947

I'm a retired police officer with 30 years experience. Thank you for your service

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭covey123

What's the single most heart warming event/story you have encountered while on duty?

• Company Representative Posts: 189 Verified rep I'm a US police officer, AMA

I'm a retired police officer with 30 years' experience. Thank you for your service.

Thanks to you too mate, generally where were ya? US or Ireland or elsewhere?

What's the single most heartwarming event/story you have encountered while on duty?

Getting a young homeless teen off the streets one winter. Partner and I saw her outside the restaurant, we bought her some food, got talking. Parents kicked her out for being gay, she had been on the streets for about a year. She agreed to go with us, got her to the shelter. Years later got a letter through the dept. that she was now finished university and starting a new life. She remembered my name (it's unusual) and reached out. Good to know we made a difference.

Are you trained in academy to plant a gun after you shoot someone?

How many times did you show up to arrest someone and say damn I never got to shoot anyone.

Back in the station do you tell stories like I shot him in the face, and another cop would say you're so full of sh*t and you'd say I did I shot him in the face twice.

I'll answer serious questions, stop being silly. We don't do that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Only saw this thread now and ended up being fascinated by your answers. Fair play - you answered questions very honestly and gave people a good insight into something we see a lot of on tv/media etc but, in reality, don't know much about. You also handled the stupid/ridiculous/ignorant comments and questions very well.

Best of luck to you in the future.

Advertisement