Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australia nightclub bans staring at strangers without verbal consent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

It will keep the bouncers busy.

Assuming there is a demand, I think it would be a good idea to have female only nightclubs to allow dancing etc in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I remember the old days when we all stared across at the object of our desire and quickly looked away mortified if we made eye contact, all the while hoping you'd be asked to dance during the slow set so you could walk around in a circle wearing the face off each other.

Innocent times. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Yes cos discrimination is a great idea. 🤔 First person to be booted out and has paid will sue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Complete and utter nonsense. I can't believe our media fell for this. All they have done is roster an extra bouncer who will probably just watch out for drunks. Sydney (via NSW government) have the strictest alcohol laws outside of countries where alcohol is forbidden. They have designated staff caled RSA (responsible service of alcohol) marshals whose sole job is to spot someone who is drunk and get rid of them (it's a big no no to have someone intoxicated in your pub by the way). All security staff in that city wear hi vis as condition of their license. The area where the club is also designated a "high risk" area so the club are probably trying to curry some favour with the local police. You have general duty police, licensing police, office of liquor gaming and racing and the rest of the goverment alphabet soup breathing down your neck just to make life fun. Don't believe the rubbish about this place doing the right thing.

No they won't sue because you don't need a reason to ask someone to leave a licensed premises unless it's a breach such as race, religion etc. If you don't leave a licensed premises when asked you are commiting an offense. You also can't come within 50 metres of that place for 6 hours and can't re enter that premises for 24hrs. You can be fined or arrested if you do. I could tell someone no green shirts tonight for example you need to leave and they would have to and they would have no grounds to sue in fact they would be breaking the law by not leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Stop that, how can I go complain about wokeness to everyone now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jesus, I would've been banned from French class at 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Nightclubs arent that much craic anyway. I can't imagine installing some staffer to stare at you in order to ensure you're not staring at anyone else is going to improve the experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

• Advertisement

Not in New South Wales. I've been threatened with being sued more times than I care to remember and it never came to anything and the company's barristers said the same.

Just out of curiosity huevos have you ever managed a large nightclub/pub in Sydney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I love nothing more than going into night clubs and buy a pint and stand there staring at women. And the more pints I get into me the better looking they get.

Ah the good oul days when the slow song used to come on and you go up to one of those girls you were staring at and ask them to dance. You cannot do that anymore.

To be 100% honest with you I cannot get into night clubs. I tried many times Galway, Athlone and other places. Bouncers never let me in.

That's what I said. If someone is asked to leave due to sexual discrimination or race etc u can be sued. If any employee asks you to leave for any other reason u are breaking the law by not leaving. I've personally seen people get arrested for not leaving the area.

Much ado about nothing. Though they lost me at "duty of car".

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Pretty sure you are allowed if they want , theres female only gyms.

Assuming there is a demand, I think it would be a good idea to have female only nightclubs to allow dancing etc in peace.

Except, that most women go to clubs for the attention they receive. Especially in Sydney.

Also under this rule, women could be done for staring at other women.

What a fun nightclub, people are going to end up looking at the floor or the ceilings to avoid mistakenly being considered hostile. After all, you've no control over how another person perceives your looking in their direction, even if you're not actually looking at them.

This thing will fall apart rather quickly. Impossible to enforce fairly, and without heaps of abuse.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This is dumb

Didn't your mom tell you not to stare?

Do people need to be told?

Its a dumb rule because those who need to be told won't bother obeying.

Can you imagine a weirdo asking hey can i stare at you?

Its stupid.

Normal people know its rude to stare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Banning looking at people… turning into some joke-shop world..

how does it go down if a guy is accused of ‘staring’ ?

person goes up to a bouncer, complaining about X guy….?

without permission ? How does a person obtain staring permission ? “ hi, I was just wondering if I may be permitted to stare at you please ? Ffs

• Advertisement

I could do. People honestly wouldn't believe how farcical it is over there sometimes dealing with the bullshit laws around booze and how it's enforced. Doubt too many people would be interested tho to be honest. Wouldn't be very entertaining😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

This isn't new south wales last time I checked?

Anywho, I identify as having two lazy eyes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When I frequented Heaven nightclub, sometimes on a twice weekly basis, there were no drag queen acts, there were male go go boys if there was a show on at all.

How disappointed to see that club has gone downhill since.

Where do all the muscle mary gays go in London these days? Certainly not Heaven from that clip, if they have anywhere to go at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you are the only man being refused access/removed from a place you would have a good chance of winning a case at the WRC.

For the people saying that there are women only gyms. They are illegal but men aren't allowed to say that as its only discrimination if its not men being affected. Somehow positive discrimination is good even though discrimination is illegal, a positive before a negative still results in a negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How long do you have to look at someone for it to be considered staring?

2sec, 5sec, 10sec...a creeping 60sec?

The OP is about a nightclub in New South Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

No they’re very much not.

if you’re on a licensed premises and are told to leave them you aren’t entitled to anything other then a firm hand out the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

And how are you supposed to watch everyone in a dark crowded club where people are dancing and some have their back turned to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Skippy the bush kangaroo ....

What's up Skip ?

Squeaky muffled kangaroo sound.

Skip, I don't care if the there is a fire in the basement, if you don't stop staring you are getting the **** out of this nightclub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ron Mael has a lifetime ban....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The human species has clearly decided to cancel itself. About time

Nah. It's just the morons who are cancelling themselves out. Sensible people will find ways around this nonsense.

Nothing. I am sure these false accusations happen already

All these kind of measures and laws that are brought in are just the real-life manifestation of Calhoun's mouse experiment. At some undetermined point in the future nobody will bother approaching the opposite sex or mating anymore despite spending more time than ever dolling themselves up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Women are victims and need constant protecting from all the rapist men.

My wife is an attractive female (born female and identifies as a female). She is regularly almost raped badly. One guy I caught staring. If I hadn’t glared at him he was surely going to rape her.

My son is only small but it’s prob too late. He will definitely rape all around him in later life unless I break his spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'd be interested.

It's always good to get the real story rather than posters on boards giving their views of the legality of this new initiative on the otherside of the world.

The AMA is probably the best part of biards,could spend hours there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

This is one nightclub in Sydney not a government rule. They seem to have a strict policy in place as it is. Don't like it go to a different nightclub. Also rule does not say its for only men. @Pauliedragon it says they will so call the police so just wondering how would they do

It is a goverment rule that if you are asked to leave a licensed premises you have to leave end of. I was responding to comments above about being alble to sue for discrimation or get entry fee back for being kicked out. That's not how it works there. I've seen literally dozens of people think they don't have to leave when asked and police getting involved and they ended up on the wrong side of the argument every single time. Cops don't **** around over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Have you ever been thrown out ,asked to levave club.? Lucky to not get a few thumps on the way out

No what i was wondering in the article it would get the person to leave and call the police. So if the person left is there anything the police would do

Sorry I probably read ur post too quick. Doubtful cops would do anything. They would only get involved if a person was being kicked out and wouldn't go then they have to step in.

• Advertisement

No worries thanks. Also just say I be interested if there was a AMA also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mravaya

What about blind people, they have no idea if their eyes are pointing at someone's face

“ I find your general facade intriguing and pleasing , may I have explicit expressed permission to stare at you please ? “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Maybe women shouldn't wear the kind of outfits that encourage men to stare at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Hodger

If approach someone and try chatting them up if she says she,s not Interested and the guy is kinda persistent after being no then that,s harassment, but looking at someone to at a bar or club is not harassment plus stupid rules such as this will lead to false accusations against fellows.

Some people might of heard about that tiktok video earlier this summer where a female gym user accused the trainer of being a " pervert " now if you watch the actual video he glances over her direction for about roughly two seconds and she starts of him and later uploads a video with the way she captioned it, now having stupid rules about looking at someone will likely lead to more such videos being posted falsely accusing a fellow.

Gym thing was ridiculous…

Gym where I’m a member has numerous signs up, prohibiting camera use AND phone use. Only in the last few months… is it any wonder…

those signs appear on every notice board now with threats of revocation of membership without refund.

attention seekers like that need to be drowned in acid.

what’s the formal difference between staring and looking.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I never approach a potential victim, sorry eh, ahem eh.. partner, without receiving a decent amount of eye gazing before hand. If someone is not engaging you with their eyes you should not bother.

The key is waiting until they are hammered.... and then the eye contact will kick off BIG phucking time, like the kind of "phuck me" eye screwing that literally says.... I want you to ride me senseless please?

If you are engaging in eye contact with a drunk partner, I would implore you to make sure that they are going to be able for the full Enchilada. Be nice with potential partners. By giving them a hour to dance it off and have a chat/flirt you will both be giving each other lots of opportunity to get the pheromones going. Tipsy giggily sex is fun and enjoyable, drunk sex isn't. There is a difference.

If she is not back from the jacks in 10 minutes do not, whatever you do, make the mistake of heading over there to see what is going on, don't bother. She is either hiding, discussing crap with her cock blocking friends or something worse that you don't reeeeallly want to know about? If there is a mad queue she will send out one of her mates to scope you out and also make sure you don't head on, always a good sign here, but try not to get off with her pals, it is a scummy thing to do and lacks class.

I have always found Aussies a bit bland anyways? Maybe Elle Macpherson? I liked Mick Dundee, he is one of the most fancied men in history. One of the largest female sexual fantasy's is getting owned by a scruffy type cowboy/pirate/bad guy, basically a bit a rough like. Although I have heard, that in their fantasy's the Alpha Rapscallion's, who they are making out with, tend to be groomed and smell nice, albeit smell can be subjective. Women love the bang of a man, but this must be fresh sweat which is emitting billions of pheromones, they think stale smells are rotten. If they don't like how you smell it is all over, they will bail in a nanosecond. I agree with this, women who stink are generally prudes in the sack... you just don't want that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

What's next, Islamic style morality police?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

• Advertisement
Advertisement