Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question regarding lens price on MPB website

• 27-08-2022 5:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭

Hi,

'm looking at getting a reliable 17 or 18/50 f2.8 lens to replace my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (focusing issues) and saw this

Firstly, I presume the site is 100% trust-worthy & legit. Why is the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro - Pentax Fit so inexpensive on MPB? From reviews, it's a very good lens..... constant f2.8, autofocus, sharp.

Is there something I'm missing?

Site says-

"The glass is clean and in good condition. The lens barrel shows some cosmetic marks.

There is some light dust within the lens, which would not affect optical performance at all. The focus ring is in good condition.

The lens mount shows signs of use. This has been reflected in the price."

Signs of use on the lens mount- is this just cosmetic or something to be concerned about?

Thanks,

Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I've never bought from MBP, but I have sold lenses to them. From my dealings with them, and from anything I've read, they're 100% legit.

I guess the price reflects that the lens was released in 2006, so it's a 14 year old design, and long gone from Sigma's catalogue. Not to say it's not a good lens - but the price is going to reflect this.

The lenses I sold them were old Minolta/Sony A mount ones from around the same vintage. They too mentioned some wear on the lens mount when MPB posted them up, but I know that there was nothing all all to be concerned about when I had them. One lens I had rated as "Excellent" when I sent it to them. When they received it, they downgraded it to "Good", and offered me slightly less money (I was given the option to refuse and have the lens back at no charge). They said that "internal optics have a small amount of moisture, but this doesn't affect functionality". Now, it's not something I ever noticed at all, but I accepted their assessment and the reduced cash, and I think it's a sign that they're fairly honest in their gradings. The warning about the moisture then duly appeared on the listing when they were selling the lens.

As for the signs of use on the mount, I wouldn't worry about it. That photo they have posted is the exact lens you'd be buying (they don't use generic pictures), so you can see for yourself exactly what you're getting. I've pasted a crop of the mount from the full res photo (on their site, right click and choose "open image in new tab" and it will download for you to view it in greater detail) There's bound to be some marks and grime on a lens that's been used a fair bit, but I don't see anything that would cause any concern. Do note that as per the description, the lens is missing its lens hood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks for the reply. Someone said it's very soft wide open & recommended the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM instead.

Advertisement