Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never changed electricity provider

• 27-08-2022 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭irishguy19772

I am with electric Ireland and just reviewed my bill. Looks like I am paying 0.2873 per unit of electricity.

Had a glance at bord gais and they are offering 0.2017 c per unit of electricity.

Is there any catch here? Presumably it is just cheaper for year 1 and then you go to a higher rate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

No catch.

Yes they put it back up to the standard rate after a year usually, so you need to remember to switch, or maybe ring them and bargain saying you will switch.

You need to also check the standing charge because they vary with different plans.

The easiest way is to use the comparison websites like bonkers.ie or switcher.ie

They will give you all your best options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Everyone should be switching every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Gooser14

You should do some price comparisons on switcher.ie or bonkers.ie. You will find cheaper plans than what you are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Does anyone know how complicated it is to switch from a pre pay meter back to a regular direct debit. Feel robbed by the meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Im general you should always be switching but when I was doing this EI happened to be cheaper than BG.

With the way things are, it is often down to the timing of price increases and from recollection EI have already done theirs (or more likely first one for autumn / winter!!) but BG have not done so yet so it's probably coming anytime soon.

I suppose you can only act in the information you have at present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement