Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D printed watch tools and accessories

Options
  • 27-08-2022 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭

I was browsing AliExpress during the week on the hunt for some movement holders and case opener to use as I try to get to grips with watch disassembly & assembly. When the blatantly obvious struck me!

Surely someone has already designed something that I could print? My 3d printer is lying idle and has been for far too long. So a look at Thingiverse, Yeggi and STL base have loads!

I have to swap some parts on my printer and I'll be printing the parts organiser, sharpening jig & case opener. I'll add some photos of the final result on to this thread.

When I get everything dialled in, I'll be happy to print any tools others might need FOC of course 😉 the links below are only an example of what's available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Great idea!

My eldest lad has had some great results from his printer. Mostly Star Wars figures, but also some bits for modelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Interesting. I do 3D modelling with work - mostly mechanical and electrical services but I might be able to make STL files if there is a need/want. Need to look into the software a bit more to be sure

1st print has just started. The Bergeon tool stand is the tallest I've printed in quite a while ,so, fingers crossed it will work out ;) I've limited the print speed to 50mm/s in the hope it will allow less ringing on the print. Will share how it goes and if it works? I'm happy to print up a few more for folk here :)

A little video of current progress. The 2 parts trays have printed with decent quality IMO and the tool organiser is well underway.

I had to drop the print speed as I was getting a little vibration induced ringing so this will likely be a 40hr print all told.

Next job for this printer is a set of linear rails 😉 the inertia of the heavy bed needs to be damped down when it's moving at a fast pace. It does make a lovely 60s/70s sci-fi computer sound tho👀

• Advertisement

The print finished and I am very happy with the final product. After popping the items off the raft there was very little cleanup required. I do need to dial in the printer speed and add linear rails. In the meantime, if anyone has something they need/want printed off? I'm happy to help, gratis of course 👍

I got around to putting some tools in the stand and I'm delighted with its storage/functionality.

Screwdrivers, hand pushers, tweezers and other odds and ends including a strap tool and my trusty old loupe 😁

It looks like I know what I'm doing, when truth is? I know just enough to break stuff 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Thats some job, how much does it cost to print something that size?

A question that didnt occur to me until you asked! The model used 442g of filament which worked out to @ €4 and was a 32hr print at 350w peak power, so at my current electric rate @ €2.90ish.

So all in about €7 or so which is actually surprisingly decent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Have you seen the tool holder Nick Shabazz made a while back, its similar to what you have there. I think i may look into getting one of these as my next gadget i dont have room for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsXOuTepNo

• Advertisement
Advertisement