Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Quitting - the new “great resignation”

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That's one of the things about IT roles is that you get stuck into something and before you know it its 8pm or you working on an issue and you just cant get up in the middle of it and say it 5pm I'm off, I will look at it in the morning. When I was running a Tech team I always had taxi vouchers in my drawer and would give them to anyone who was going to be working on an issue into the evening so they could order a taxi home. I think in IT the management are more flexible about time off because they understand the nature of the job and what can occur but there are some awful managers in IT who are from a non IT background and just can't get that sort of flexibility through their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

We have a handover so no staying for free. If they say they'll pay me, then yes. But I also notice they want you to take like for like hours, ie: you stayed on an hour yesterday, finish up an hour early today. Ah, no. I will take 90 minutes thank you muchly, time and an half. And if they refuse, I refuse. Simples. And damn those lazt IT people for not filling in their OT or working for free because they like it! Damns youze! But I also know it's job specific. My role allows me to up and leave because it's the bottom of the ladder, everyone should be able to do what I'm doing. Training is... non-existant, so the more my leaving on time messes up because other people aren't trained properly, the better for everyone overall (if the company is bothered by it, and they're only bothered when some high-paying customer gives out).

Advertisement