Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Quitting - the new “great resignation”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,259 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They are getting paid more per hour doing their contracted hours than extra hours for free. The benefit is obvious.

It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

No unionising and fighting to improve working conditions sends the strongest message

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Heard that interview yesterday and all it showed was who much of a dinosaur Kerr is/was. He is one of these that is more about people being at their desks after finishing time than actual productivity. Reminds me a bit of that other dinosaur Bill Cullen with his 6 or 7 in the morning meetings and that sort of rubbish.

I dunno they really didn't get into it. The HR guy was saying you have to see what's behind it and fix that.

BK really only said it unfair on those doing extra work if theres only a few doing it. But the solution to that is reward those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

You read my mind we have taken on a newly qualified accounting technician and will train them and pay for their exams study time

This lady is hungry to get on with her life, I told her work hard and when she qualifies as an accountant she will be on 50k with perks - we are rural practice

We pay our staff well and take care of them but we demand loyalty and a good work ethic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It feels to me like the phrase "Quiet Quitting" was created by big business to give a negative slant to the normal practice of turning up to work, doing your jobs and clocking out when you're supposed to.

I am always bewildered by management types that think their subordinates actually care about the managers own targets. They are your targets, not mine. You are the one that gets the bonuses.

Best place's I've worked usually rewarded extra effort and dedication. Share Options, bonus, overtime, perks etc. Everyone was hungry to work and enjoyed the rewards.

Only commonsense people would do this

It's unsustainable business practice to expect people to work extra and not get paid for it....you'll be dead & buried and there still be work to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

From OP article......

Quiet quitting doesn't actually involve quitting. Employees are 'quitting' going above and beyond. They are logging off at 5pm sharp, doing only assigned tasks, and declining to do any extra unpaid work.

Logging Off Later: Time spent at work isn't a good measure of productivity. Staying on late is often an indicator of someone struggling with their workload. What could be wrong with finishing at your contracted time? If the company has a backlog they should pay overtime or hire more staff.

Doing Only Assigned Tasks: Why would you do anything else? Employee going off on solo runs can be a big problem. Impossible to manage people working on tasks they are not assigned. They may not even have to correct skill set. If there is slack, management should assign more tasks to match resource availability with workload.

Unpaid Work: People who do unpaid work are idiots. I'm all for give a take but with some companies its all take.

A phrase like Quiet Quitting will be used in years to come to bully people of of their jobs. "Meets Expectations" shouldn't be seen as a badge of dishonour.

Most places put about 10x time the effort into measuring HR reports than actually measuring productivity.

• Advertisement

I've had about half a dozen examples repeated to me in the last week of situations where various companies (or internal teams) provides services outside their staffs contracted hours. So its this is expected extra free hours they expect their staff to cover.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Generally speaking, the single most effective way to get promotions and pay raises is to simply change jobs. Working exceptionally hard to move up the ranks in one company is generally speaking the least efficient way of getting ahead (and companies are well aware of this).

You work your contracted job and contracted hours and manage to do well in interviews and move around every 2-3 years and you'll end up in a far better position than someone who worked their ass off but stayed put.

Exactly this. Which shows up the whole put in extra effort fallacy for what it is. Snake oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Say you and I are doing the same job I work my hours you do more. We both hand in our work to do on time. What extra have you done to elevate your work over mine due to all those extra hours

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Bad managers look for an easy way to measure the value of employees. I've seen people's contributions measured by the number of emails sent back and forth and the number of times they pop their heads over a cubicle wall just to be seen. I think the pandemic outed quite a few of these people as they weren't able to look busy and their output became the metric, pointless Zoom meetings notwithstanding.

There's something wrong when despite general productivity per person constantly growing we're working the same hours as our grandparents, sometimes more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Performance metrics are a joke, same with targets. Worked in a big MNC that did all this and then at the end of year you had to write up your end of year review on how you performed. Biggest waste of time because no matter how well you performed met or exceeded targets every review the manager started with the usual BS about their not being much money and even though you performed well you would be in the normal range and wouldn't be getting much of a payrise. This went on every year.

In our place we see to have a knack of taking a process and changing it so it takes about 4 times as long for no real reason. But staff are expected to suck it up.

This is that point at which you realise its all BS.

Show me the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

HR \ Media Type: I have a new one. Quiet Shopping. Going to the supermarket and paying 'just enough' for your groceries.

Normal Person: Em.......I think that's just called shopping.

Idiot who works extra unpaid hours: I wonder how many products I can get in this shop without paying for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That sounds more like what shortcuts have you taken and corners have you cut to meet a deadline that was always unrealistic for the amount of work expected of either of us.

I’d rather an employee who took a bit more time to complete a task than one who takes shortcuts and cuts corners when I have a fair idea how much time any task should be expected to take in any case and I know which employees I can trust with that responsibility. I don’t work with anyone I can’t trust.

• Advertisement

I've done a fair bit of automation in my time and I have to say that's almost never been the case when I've looked at how long someone was taking to do something. It would be unusual not to cut 50% or more of time taken while removing errors and improving quality at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

So you think finishing work at the correct time means you don't like your job, this is an utterly bizzare and utterly ridiculous assumption. Do you think people who leave a cinema after a film didn't like the film?

Employers expecting employees to work for free should not be happening in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t think it’s any coincidence Flinty because of your having done a fair bit of automation in your time, you’re noticing that you now work in a place that does this 😁

And that’s not a dig at you btw, it’s pointing out that based upon your experience, you WILL spot things that other people won’t. Martin’s hypothetical scenario made no sense because it was obviously being presented in such a way as to make out the person taking extra time to do the same task was procrastinating, as opposed to Martin being super-efficient and getting the task done on time.

That kind of stress-testing scenario doesn’t give a true perspective of what’s going on in a workplace. It’ll give the person who feels undervalued a reason to justify their bad attitude and behaviour and lead to burnout behaviour - acting like a spoiled child rather than behaving like an adult and explaining to your boss that you’d appreciate it if they didn’t contact you outside of your scheduled hours as it’s your personal time.

If your boss isn’t already a tit that they’d be contacting you outside your hours anyway, then they’re going to be able to understand that some people are more focused on achieving work/life balance than their career aspirations. If your boss isn’t hearing you, it’s because they don’t care, and they’re bad for the employer, not you. You just happened to get stuck with a shìtty boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Quiet quitting seems to be about more than finishing on the dot of 5pm though. It's about doing nothing except what you're explicitly told to do. I can't imagine worse advice for any young person early in their career.

There are three reasons why you should put in extra effort.

1. Doing a better job is more rewarding and you'll enjoy it better. Self actualisation and all that.

2. When the bonuses and raises are coming, the people who work harder do better.

3. Likewise for promotion, the guy who shows initiative and doesn't need to be micromanaged will rise above the useless clock watchers.

If you're in a job to which none of these apply, then you're in the wrong job. It's an employee's market, get off your arse and move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Moving jobs can sometimes be a pain in the hole though

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

How do you think a term like "quiet quiting" is a term of validation or endorsement? It sounds far more a guilt trippy to me. Its normal to leave work when you are no longer being paid to.

I'd be willing to bet that most people when they were kids were not dreamimg of working in an office when they grew up.

So lets be honest here, a very very large cohort of people are not skipping into work everyday. It could be as many as the majority of people. And the solution as you put it is not as simple as just looking for a new job. Many of these people would be more happy in the arts as many are naturally gifted artists, musicians, comedians. But the arts won't feed your family, not anymore anyway.

Plus the fact that many of the jobs around now were not even a thought even just a decade ago. So it is very difficukt for people to be clued in and what exactly they should be doing and even if they do the jobs often pay peanuts!

People make sacrifices in life by working a job that does'nt inspire them, to live a half decent life outside of it. Its whats done by a huge number of people on a daily basis.

These people of course have added value to the occuppations they work in. I know alot of people who live like this and i see absolutely no issue or need to bash them for taking their own time for themselves.

Post edited by NiceFella on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Hmm.

So, to localise:

Better have 1 bag of Tayto in the porch than 2 bags of Tayto in the rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,045 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In my line of work I finish at X hour, but if I'm on a call I don't end it abruptly, if there's an escalation I don't dump it on some co-worker and just log off. If I did that there would be ramifications, most of which would come from my colleagues.

People have had various issues with work since time immemorial. It's nothing new. If people want to log off at e.g. 5pm sharp, and do zero extra, fine, but as mentioned there are consequences to that. Some social media blog/article deciding this is part of some "great movement" doesn't make it so, it doesn't validate it either.

It's entirely someone's personal decision if they want to act like that, and every job is different, but as mentioned in many situations doing it systematically is often not a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

I'd agree with your work practices, they sound reasonable enough to me. But if this was happening constantly i'd put a stop to it. Its not respecting your time and it would get worse unless addressed. Thats the nature of most occupations.

What the article is doing is targeting a group of people who refuse to be ridden by their employers. Not everyone loves their job and it would be completely unrealistic for such a world to exist. But these people clearly add huge value and should be respected for the value they add.

I think everyone agrees its a nonsense term. But I think its morally wrong to think that employees that are strict with their working hours are just lazy or deeply unhappy with work. Most i know are grateful but don't want to be fools for their jobs either.

Advertisement