Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running 3 Phase Welder on a VFD?

Options
  • 27-08-2022 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

Long story short my inverter stick welder recently stared leaking smoke, last year i bought a cheap Chinese MIG welder and i'm using it as a paperweight on my welding bench because that's all it's good for. I've been looking for a decent inverter based MIG welder for a couple of months now and i just can't seem to spec one that's single phase, 300amp, and a decent brand. (Lincolm, Miller, Fronius, Kemppi)

A 250amp seems to be as big as a single phase MIG welder goes, while i would'nt be welding at those amps every day i'd like the option to if the need arose.

I'm now seriously considering buying a 3 phase version and running it off a VFD. Getting 3 phase power into the workshop i'd imagine would cost an arm and a leg.

I know Milling Machines,Lathes, Pillar drills etc can do just fine running on a VFD, but i don't know about welders.

Questions:

Is this a realistic option? I'd want to be absolutely sure this is going to work without frying a new €3k+ machine.

Has anyone ran a welder off of one and was it a success.?

Thanks.

Advertisement