Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modifications for appearance only ?!

• 28-08-2022 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I wanted to know 2 things.

1) When a modified car (modified for appearance only, which means lower suspension, concave wheels, some fender work, and bumper kit) is taken to NCT does the the inspector ask about the modifications, or the modified template form (attached)

2) Has anyone ever used the form and submitted as to have a legally modified car the form requires signature and stamp from a Suitably Qualified Individual.

How can I have the modified car pass as I'm not having any performance upgrades.

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭huud

Anyone, anything ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Lowering suspension is 100% NOT an appearance only modification. Lowering or altering the suspension of a vehicle is very much a handling & potentially a safety modification. Depending on how the suspension was modified & how the alignment was redone to compensate for the new mods this can be either a great improvement to the handling or in some cases can make the handling worse for the sake of appearance. I'd expect the NCT folks to want to be sure that the mods where done correctly & haven't ill effected the handling of the car.

Wheels too can be a great improvement or can actually be dangerous for the handling if they are now too wide for the original engineering design of the car & are now putting too much stress on shafts & bearings for example so again not 100% just an appearance Mod & could be looked at if they seem to be too extreme for the car in question.

The fenders & bumpers should be fine so long as the installation hasn't impacted the lights & such things that would be inspected as a matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭huud

Thanks for clarifying, not going (aggressive) with wide wheels that requires widebody work, nor lowering so much that it affects driving, its likely to be subtle, but I get your point..

Advertisement