Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was in your childhood lunchbox?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I would have gladly shared my sweets with you 🍬🍫🍭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

We weren't allowed any type of sweets or biscuits in primary, but in secondary there was a school shop with loads of them.

Usually, it was diluted squash, some kind of fruit, and sometimes white bread with ham or cheese or jam or egg mayo, or cream crackers with Philadelphia or peanut butter or cheese.

Cream crackers with philly were the worst, they'd be gone soggy by lunch time and the philly would be hard and cracked.

Egg mayo sandwiches were my favourite, though my classmates didn't feel the same!

In secondary, the crisp sandwich became a recurring theme, yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Cheese and brown sauce sambos.

Easi Singles

Chef Brown Sauce

Brennans white bread.

Every single day, through choice, my mam was a bit embarrassed and tried to get me to take ham or jam sambos.

To this day I still have them a few times a week for my lunch

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Homemade bread with home made butter and a thick slice of calvita. Along with an apple and milk from our cows.

Yes, despite it being the 80s and all the other kids getting white sliced pan billy roll sambos with taytos and a penguin bar, our lunches alas were stuck in the 1880s. I used to be so jealous of the other kids, yet I'd really enjoy that sandwich now!

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I went to school in NI so we were able to buy cheap hot meals in school which I don't think is a thing down here?

In primary school you didn't get a choice, everyone went to the canteen and every day there was basically a set 2 course meal (lunch and dessert). It was hit and miss, there was a Friday hotdog + chicken soup with chocolate cake and chocolate gravy dessert that was the highlight!

Secondary school was all about the chips, but some favourites were:

• Chips, chicken nuggets (or sausages) and beans
    • Gravy chips / curry chips / cheesy chips
    • Chips, cheese and chicken soup (yep, that cream-of-chicken soup poured over chips is actually very nice with cheese)

Would have got things like chicken pie, lasagne etc too, all pretty good. There was a deli thing for sandwiches if you wanted.

Used to get hot sausage rolls during the morning break, 2 of those with ketchup was a daily staple.

I think nowadays the secondary school menus have been made all healthy, looking back on it there wasn't much green stuff being eaten!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

White Brennans bread, margarine from that massive margarine container you used to be able to buy in supermarkets, with "plastic cheese" aka easi singles or processed ham slices. When things got good there would be the occasional pate sandwich too. Usually an apple somewhere in the school bag too. We got the little milk cartoons too, otherwise it was a little flask/bottle with diluted orange.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Sounds better than my adult diet!

In secondary school, we got vegetable soup, by the cup. It was lovely! Very brothy with cabbage. I would buy it now, if I found somewhere selling it.

Brown sauce did a lot of work back in the day, but I still can't handle it... too many memories of sloppy cabbage and bacon meals on Sunday :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Yeah love the stuff, sometimes called pork loaf.

You can get it in the butchers in Stillorgan and the Petitts Supervalu in Bray

Very hard to get anywhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Jam sambos, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jam sandwiches on white bread

Yogurt

Apple

Maybe a penguin for little lunch

Advertisement