Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Odds on Germans buying Russian gas by end of February,

• 28-08-2022 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

I might give 10/1.

The odds on Putin falling on his sword by same time 1000/1 against ( unless act of God, mine, not HIS )

Germans see it as the next pandemic, andwith less work and a less warm home, my own good wishes and support for the poor little Ukrainians might run mighty thin

🧐God wants us all to enjoy many,many ice-creams , IMHO🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I'd expect Paddy Powers to already be paying out on that bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭touts

10/1 or 1/10?

Germany will always do what is in the best interests of Germany no matter the pain to other people. We saw it when they forced us to nationalise private banks in order to make sure the gambling debts of German pension funds were repaid in full and with winnings. They had no problem asset stripping their EU "partners" when needed. When things get tough in November and December they will break ranks and buy Russian gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Many countries are still buying Russian gas. The point is that they are buying much less gas than they normally would.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We saw it when they forced us to nationalise private banks in order to make sure the gambling debts of German pension funds were repaid in full and with winnings.

This is absolutely not what they did. The banking guarantee took absolutely everyone by surprise and was criticised by the ECB. Also Germany don't run European institutions.

The German people are significantly stronger in their support for Ukraine then the German government have been to this point.

Buying Russian gas at this point is also a geopolitical and security risk as they simply cannot be trusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I wonder will Nordstream 1 reopen? Good chance it won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I suspect not. The Russians make their money from oil rather than gas so the cost to them of keeping it shut off is relatively low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's staying offline for the foreseeable it seems. Gazprom spinning a yarn about an oil leak (must be an intended joke). Germany has dramatically reduced its dependence on Russian gas but we need to go further and complete the transition to renewable energy as quickly as humanly possible. In the meantime we will all need to conserve energy wherever possible. We're an all electric house but we have no problem showing solidarity and making a conscious effort to not waste any energy. Even my wife has given up her hot baths in favour of quick showers. It's literally the least we can do for the Ukrainian people. Their fight is our fight. No changing of borders by force in Europe in 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭dohouch

I hope we are all aware that all renewables , I'm a big fan. must be backed up by an equal amount of. immediately available non-renewable power.Back to gas,oii.

Hydrogen in quantity is 10 years away, IMHO

The most ludicrous thing i have read in a long time, giving up baths to show solidarity with Ukraine!

Energy prices were increasing long before the war, its our useless government who refuse to do anything about it. France for instance capped increases to just 4%.

But you keep avoiding hot baths for Ukraine, im sure they are very thankful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

There is a relative shortage of energy and gas.

Those high prices are helpful for incentivising you to avoid unnecessarily using too much.

France, by contrast, has a lot of nuclear power.

• Advertisement

Who the hell is wasting energy, people can barely afford to live, let alone waste electricity.

Ireland closed down 2 turf power plants, reopen them, nationalise ojr own Gas and cap energy prices to 2021 levels, the government can pick up the tab for any extra money supiers require like the French are doing.

If the government dont act soon we will see our Economy collapse when business close down causing huge unemployment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Liquid Gas terminal needs to be reconsidered to secure supplies by sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

You literally called not wasting energy "the most ludicrous thing you ever heard" - so I'm going to guess you are wasting energy.

Your proposal to have energy price caps (i.e. "sell energy below cost so people can use more of it than the would otherwise" is also an invitation to waste energy.

A better solution would be to hand over e.g. €1k, €5k, €10k [or whatever] to households/businesses etc - & let them spend it on energy if necessary or save it if it is not necessary.

[I would also note that it's great that this government thing has so much money to be spending on all of this - I would personally hate to be the poor b*****d who has to pay it all back - especially with the cost of living & energy nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What's the Odds of them buying Russian gas by beginning of October, never mind the End of February. Sad to say it & the dogs on the street have known this since last March, Putin (and he's a monster) has Europe over a Barrel (No pun intended) simples.

He's run rings around the EU & US, Russia has never earned so much from gas & oil exports & He's just done a Deal with China.

Meanwhile EU economy in Tatters, the Ukrainian crisis exactly were it was 6 months ago & Ireland 😳, well enough said about that.

Utterly Mind Boggling

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

Ireland’s underpants was in tatters six months ago, it’s now like one of those compost food bags you would dig up after a year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For the record the Germans never stopped buying Russian gas and their storages are now close to full.

Of course the Russians are now helpfully taking the decision out of our hands by shutting down Nordstream 1 which will just further accelerate the move away from Russian energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

😁 Very elegantly put and so true, sadly 👍

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is an old saying mind the pennies, the pounds look after themselves.

We will all need to reduce our energy consumption this year whether it's in a car or in the home.

The main way you will save is by small actions. The critical time will be to reduce pressure on the energy system from 5-8 pm in the evening and from 7-10 in the morning.

But even outside them hours actions can help to reduce consumption.

It always amazes me the way a cohort of people think politicians should manage there life for them. The individual makes decision that influence there own life mainly. Politicians are responsible for 10-15% if what happens in your life maybe less

Simple thing like turning off lights, reducing house temperatures, making sure the washing and dishwasher are full before use all help. The biggest misunderstanding is that individual action will not help.

But then we will have someone on that this is an egg and advacado answer. However look at the amount paying for electricity in advance. If you prepay you are paying 140ish euro/year on top of your normal standing charge to pay them in advance and a higher unit price as well. If using average electrical consumption it's cost about 1k more than most discounted plans.

In the last three months I have reduced the speed I travel at when in the car. I drive at 80km/hour. I keep well in on wider roads to let cars pass me. It seldom adds more than 3-4 minutes to most trips. I can see the fuel consumption reading on the car decline by 4-6% on a short journey. On long journeys it's 15% where you use a motorway.

Slava Ukrainii

Pure rubbish. We are no worse off than most EU countries and better than alots of them. One on the changes the EU is proposing at EU level is to change the electricity to gas price link. This was a statutory order. It a reason that electricity prices have gone crazy.

Renewable and coal fired generators of electricity were making a fortune because of it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

By some margin we are richer than most European countries, it is easier to live here than in many other European countries.

Far from perfect but the poor aul us routine is just self pity.

You seem to be living in this idea that people are wasting energy.

People are living their lives, they work hard, and paying their bills, however, it is the actions of our government that causes energy prices to rise, thus it is up to our government to fix the problems they have created.

Ireland could purchase cheap oil and gas from Russia if they so wished, however, our government choose to support Ukraine and sanction Russia.

Ireland could cap energy prices, but they choose not to.

The government could give back all the extra revenue they have made from increased energy prices, but they choose not to.

The government could ask the people if they want to take the pain of increased energy prices to support Ukraine, but they have not done so.

You say people expect politicians to manage their lives, politicians do exactly that, their actions inluence and affect everything we do, so when their government can normally find billions to support Ukrainians, make COvid Payments or indeed give themselves payrise, I don't think its too much to expect the government to support the Irish people in times of crisis such as this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Depends on what you mean by quantity. Hydrolyser factories are cheap ~ £30m per GW per annum. You can pump hydrogen made from excess wind / solar into the gas mains, up to 7% of total energy content. Not huge but it can be done without needing to change anything other than the multiplier for Kw/m3 on the billing system. Teeside in the UK already handles enough hydrogen to power our country. We need to decarbonise a lot by 2030 and hydrogen will probably play a bigger part in that.

Most of the French reactors have been offline since April. France is now importing when it use to export during summer. Right now they producing just 20GW out of 64GW installed. Compare this year to previous years. It's causing a massive a knock on effect in gas demand in the neighbours they are importing from too.

The thing about hydrogen in natural gas pipes is the tiny size of the particles and some of it leaks.

So sh!t on the Ukrainian's so.

Everybody wastes no matter how efficient they consider they are. 600 k households have not switched electricity or gas in the last 12 months. Those people are paying 30-40% more than they should.

People on prepay are paying that anyway. Phone and broadband the same load of people are on prepay again more expensive than bill pay Car insurance is another area where there is massive saving by moving as in health insurance.

Slava Ukrainii

Ukraine isn't our problem, it's a regional conflict that we should keep out of. People have this insane idea that Putin is Hitler reborn when the Ukraine/Russia conflict is a regional conflict between former Soviet states.

Did Ukraine involve itself between Ireland and the UK over the North?

As for wasting energy, nobody is wasting energy, perhaps except the rich. Do you think people literally are switching on lights for fun?

You also mention people are paying 30-40% more than they should, I switch annually yet I am still paying more than I did last year so switching is a waste of time when they can just up their prices on a whim. If there is money to be saved it should apply to all and not just those who switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭dohouch

@Podge_irl

No problems then 🫢 one can only wonder what all the fuss is about.

Yes prices are up a bit, but there's loads to go around🍻🍻🍻🍻

• Advertisement

Advertisement