Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with wiring smart switch to circuit with 2 x 2 way switches

Options
  • 28-08-2022 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I have almost every switch in my house replaced with smart switches. The last one is my master bedroom switch but it seems to be wired up a bit weird so I need some advice.

My smart switches require live, neutral and switched live. All my switches have neutrals, I have a new build house so the electrician's thought ahead and supplied neutrals for smart switches.

The current setup in my masted bedroom is a 1-gang switch when I walk in the door and a 1-gang beside the bed which both turn on and off the ceiling light. They are both 2-way switches so they have Common on top and L1/L2 on the bottom.

I want to blank off the one next to my bedroom and just use the one beside the bedroom door as tHe only switch.

The switch beside the bedroom door is the only switch in the house wired like this so I'm a bit confused. It has 1 wire going into the Common, 1 for L1 and 1 for L2, it also has earth going into a connector block, neutral going to a connector block and there is also brown going into a connector block. All my other switches have neutral and earth going into blocks but no additional brown live. The earth and brown live are pushed down into the wall to give more room in the box. I keep the blue neutral up to connect for the smart switch. See photo.

My second switch beside the bed is wired with 2 browns in the common, 1 brown in L1 and 1 brown in L2. It also has a neutral and an earth in a connector block. See photo below.

I have 2 possible scenarios & I would rather the 2nd because I also have smart light bulb in the ceiling. If the smart switch turns off then the bulb looses power and disconnects from the network. I would prefer for the bulb to always be on and I will control it from my home assistant server and use the smart switch as a trigger to dim the bulb to 0% brightness when I want it "off".

1 - How do I blank off the one beside the bed (photo 2) and supply live, switched live and neutral to my smart switch which will install to photo 1.

2 - How do I permanently wire the ceiling light to be on and also supply permanent live & neutral to the switch

Can someone advise.

Comments

Advertisement