Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NFL Show now on ITV

Options
  • 28-08-2022 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I’ve just read that the NFL show with Osi and Jason Bell has moved to ITV. This was my only dose of the NFL, as I don’t have Sky Sports.

I don’t think I have ITV on my Virgin Media package. Does anyone know if this will be shown on TV in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

The new channel, Virgin Media 4 will have a weekly NFL show. Maybe it will be this ITV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Virgin Media Four are supposed to have an NFL highlights package, not sure if it's the ITV version or an American produced package.

There's some NFL coverage on Sky Sports Mix which is included on some VM packages.

Los Angeles Rams v Buffalo Bill will be on Sky Showcase. Check your VM package to see if you have it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

VM4 will indeed be showing the ITV show. The press release confirmed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Excellent news!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Afaik all Virgin Media (and definitely all Sky packages, apart from the new very basic one which is basically just the Bonus Pack) carry Sky Sports Mix (Virgin 409, Sky 416). Many assume this channel is part of the Sky Sports package, but it’s not.

If you have SS Mix, then you have the RedZone from NFL Network channel (the Scott Hanson version), which claims to show “seven hours of commercial free football” (it should be more like “between 6-7 hours depending on what time the last match finishes” but that’s not as snappy).

The channel and/or the also basic Sky Showcase also shows the Super Bowl and sometimes some playoff matches (not consistently though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Could've sworn it was on VM2 last night, much closer to it's proper post MOTD slot (no MOTD yesterday, I know)

I must admit I'm delighted it's more or less the same as it was on BBC. Was dreading ITV would ITV it up and make it as rubbish as every other time they do sport of any sort.

Post edited by Ol' Donie on

I've been keeping an eye on it in the schedules:

ITV Friday nights

ITV4 Saturday mornings

VM2 Saturday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Yeah I'm happy aswell they have kept pretty much the same show, it's definitely a NFL UK controlled production with the same company and ITV won't be paying big sums for it so makes sense they stuck with the same formula and presentation. The new presenter was ok I'm sure she will relax more into the role though topping Mark Chapman is a tough one which Dan Walker couldn't even do

If anyone has ITV player there was no ads for me at the breaks so it's the closest thing you will get to it feeling like you are watching it on the BBC again

Woah. It's in the Virgin Media player! 3 episodes so far are on it!

This is great news. Wonder how long after broadcast it goes up.

There was a second show on BBC on Tuesday with just Osi and Jason Bell showing the highlights of the weekends games. Is there a second show this season?

• Advertisement

No, this show seems to be more about reactions \ previews.

I've switched to watching highlights on NFL youtube channel or Sky Sports Mix.

Sorry to quote myself, but it seems to be up pretty much immediately after broadcast.

moans

Sunday Game take note

The next NFL game in the UK on Sunday 9th October between the New York Giants & Green Bay Packers will be live on ITV1 and VM2.

Rather than start a new thread......

Anyone know if The NFL Show will be available on Virgin Media this season?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The deal with ITV was for three seasons and presumably that gives VMTV access through its deal with ITV for at least this next season at any rate.

Note that while it was announced as airing on VMTV Four I think it actually aired on the more widely available VMTV Two in the end.

It is back in the ITV listings on Saturday 9th September, now anchored by Craig Doyle.

No sign of it in Virgin Media 2 listings for that weekend, and the VM4 listings not published yet.

Didn't they used to do a preview one the week before the first games? Or did I imagine that?

Related to UK NFL TV coverage though not ITV but good news nonetheless I can see that the first MNF game between Bills/Jets is scheduled for live coverage on Channel 5 per their website. That was a 3 year deal when it commenced in 2020 and could not see anything to indicate it had been renewed

https://www.channel5.com/show/live-nfl-monday-night-football/season-2023/buffalo-bills-vs-new-york-jets

It's funny that neither J Bell nor Osi seem to have bothered mentioning it on Twitter. Have they even mentioned it on their podcast?

Last year they were falling over themselves for weeks to say how excited they were to have Laura as host.

There's still no sign of it in the Virgin Media schedule for this weekend.

• Advertisement

It has finally appeared...

Virgin Media 2 Saturday night (midnight)

Virgin Media 4 Sunday afternoon 2pm

Yeah odd alright absolutely nothing on NFL UK twitter either but plenty of publicity for Sky Sports games and Game Pass

But then the 1st NFL Show episode of the season is already dumped into graveyard slot on ITV1 at 1.05am with Laura gone and yet another presenter they may be already regretting not ending up with C4 or C5 if BBC didn't seem to want the NFL anymore

I could be wrong but I think it started later and got an earlier slot over the course of the season last year.

Also think all the hours given the the rugby world cup won't help for the next few weeks.

I've no evidence for this at all, other than the silence, but I wonder were the expecting Laura to be part of it and maybe that changed when she got presenting job with TNT or whatever BT is these days?

The absence of a Jason & Osi podcast the week before the new season definitely suggests all is not well (to me, anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

When the show was good, it was amazing. Hasn't been the same since Mark Chapman left. The BBC show got me back into NFL a few years back. Came on straight after Match of the Day, and the 3 presenters had brilliant chemistry, and a nice mix of fun and analysis. Then it looked like Chappers and Osi fell out (last episode Mark was on Osi barely spoke and looked mad as hell) and subsequent hosts have been nowhere as good. I don't hold out much hope for Craig Doyle either.

JBell is on Sky a lot, and Osi has mentioned in the past that he's had tv offers in the US. So could this be the last season of the partnership.

Agree very much with this. I used to love the MOTD-NFL Show combo on Sat. It was the best. I wasn't happy when Chappers left, I seem to recall it was very abrupt. I also remember thinking Jason & Osi were way over doing it when they were saying how happy they were to work with Dan Walker, who to me seemed a nice bloke but entirely unremakable host.

Was pretty cross when they moved to ITV, because anything on ITV (especially sport) is unwatchable. It turned out to be much better than I feared.

Already seems a bit mad that they had two weekly shows on BBC and now they have a single very late night slot that they haven't even bothered promoting at all.

But it's the single biggest factor in me getting really big into NFL over the past 5 or 6 years.

Sorry to keep going on about it, but a quick google just now - the night of the first show - only gives me this.

I mean I might be reading too much into it, but I've never seen Jason and Osi looking so...casual? I mean Osi's doesn't seem to be able to crack a smile?

Think I'm just a bit disappointed (although i I suppose it could all be grand).

Edit: Never mind the fact that the quotes about the show are stated as being from last year!

Soooo...has anybody watched the first show of the season? It's on now on VM2.

Yes. Craig trying too hard to join in the jokes... needs to play it a bit more straight anchorman. And drop the 'fellers' line.

Osi and J Bell seemed their usual selves.

Content wise as they didnt have much game footage they had filler pieces about an NFL Academy in UK trying to get scholarships for US college teams.

I watched the replay on the ITVX player I enjoyed it. I don't know about the new more vibrant/GCI set but Craig is a good presenter seems to have knowledge of the sport he's upgrade on Laura, as mentioned Craig was a little hammy with the jokes with Osi/Jay at the start of the show but rest of the show was fine I think it will work well

I see it's back to a normal 10.45pm next Friday so will have more action with Week 1 so should be a better watch. I still think with one show per week it should be on a Tuesday or Wednesday night following on from the weeks action

• Advertisement

I think Craig might end up being pretty good at it. Liked the new set, that enormous black sets were a bit dull, I though.

Did I imagine it or did they start doing a season preview, talked about one division, Osi started talking about the Ravens (who aren't in that division) and then they moved on to something else entirely?

Post edited by Ol' Donie on

Advertisement