Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GW5 Captain Poll

• 28-08-2022 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Might as well start this now seeing as games are mid week. It's an anonymous poll, and FFS only 10 options boards? 🙄 Apologies if your fave is missing.

GW5 Captain Poll 106 votes

Haaland (NFO)
    66% 70 votes
    De Bruyne (NFO)
    0% 0 votes
    Salah (NEW)
    16% 18 votes
    Diaz (NEW)
    1% 2 votes
    Kane (whu)
    0% 0 votes
    Jesus (AVL)
    13% 14 votes
    Gross (ful)
    0% 0 votes
    Mitrovic (BHA)
    0% 1 vote
    Sterling (sou)
    0% 1 vote
    Other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

At the moment, I’m leaning toward Haaland.

I have a niggling feeling Salah could explode though after this week. He can’t be that happy that Pool got 9 goals and he contributed nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Undecided myself, but I'm thinking the same. Forest do give up a lot of chances though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Is there a high probability that Haaland will be rested against NFO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Salah missed two sitters. 100% correct captain choice this week.

Theres always a chance with Pep, but the season is very young and he’s still finding his feet on the team, so I’d say he’ll be ok, but I’d have a strong VC just in case!

• Advertisement

I don’t think it’s that clear cut.

Salah could get into a confidence funk.

Newcastle are unbeaten so far and they’re playing well.

Forest play a lot more open football, there’ll be chances for City.

Haaland is having a lovely run.

The biggest danger is Haaland being rested for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I'd be extremely confident that Haaland doesn't start, Pep has repeatedly said that Haaland will not play 3 games in a week, and Haaland himself said that it was one of the reasons he joined City as he wouldn't be asked to play every game.

Depends whether or not you think Haaland will start vs Sevilla next Tuesday. Personally I think he will, so it will be the Villa game he's rested for rather than Forest. Of course, I'm trying to second guess Pep here. That won't end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Haaland (VC), Salah (C)

For now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

The flip side is that he starts but comes off on 60 mins, city are leaking goals so last thing Pep will want is to be losing and having to bring him on - best to just get the game won at half time and then haul him.

If someone told you that both Liverpool and City would score 5 this GW - would you be more likely to captain Salah or Haaland? Haaland has the form, but as you say may be a rotation risk, however Pep's words weren't exactly that, was more that we can't expect him to play every game when they have one every 3 days until the World Cup, so like he could start the next 5 and then sit out 2.

• Advertisement

Pep's exact quote was "Now he has one game a week. I tell you now when we have games every three days that Erling will not play,” I mean that's pretty conclusive and if he doesn't rest him against Forest who exactly will he rest him against?

City had/have Palace, Forest, Villa, Sevilla, Spurs, Dortmund and Wolves in 21 days, he is not going to rest him for the Champions league and you would think that Spurs is unlikely also, thus he will almost certainly miss at least two of Forest, Villa and Wolves.

We'll find out soon enough, but if Haaland wasn't playing at the weekend, there is a fair chance they would have lost - they are giving up goals at the back, and the Alvarez has only played 57 minutes of football in the league so far. When he came on at the weekend it wasn't for Haaland, so there is no reason why the two of them can't start - and some predicted line ups' have that.

Finally if you are the strongly believe that Haaland wont' get any game time, then there is no harm putting the captaincy on him and VC on Salah to cover your bases if your wrong.

If you believe he won't be rested for the CL, then he has to be rested on Saturday ahead of the match on Tuesday. He won't be rested for both Forest and Villa, imo.

I think you hit the nail on the head in your last post - trying to second guess Pep is never wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

Just going with Haaland this week tried to be clever with Toney this week and Haaland got a hattrick while Toney did **** all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It wouldnt be the first time Pep has rested a player coming off the back of a hat trick, iirc he did it to Torres and Sterling before and Gundo also who had a brace the previous game

Im leaning Salah due to his guaranteed minutes but my heart will sink if Haaland starts

On Salah at the moment but Jesus is very tempting at home to a woeful Villa side.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭slumdogemillionaire

I think I am on Jesus at the moment..

I just think Haaland won't start or at least will be taken off early if he does but I am tempted by Salah with a bounce back. I will flip flop between him and Jesus until Wednesday I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I have Haaland but I now have serious doubts because of this thread, thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Went with Salah last week. At least he outscored Jesus.

Jesus (c) this week. This could be the last time I don't captain Haaland this season.

I'm off to hide now. Wake me up when September starts 😑

Nah, I'll probably be back to change my pick later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

Went with Salah captain fail last week

Dare I do it again? Will either be him or Jesus. Can't trust Pep roulette with Haaland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Voted Haaland but concerns over his minutes has me spooked.

He could still do huge damage in a cameo 😬

But then surely Salah will be absolutely bursting to score after missing out against Bournemouth 😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Haaland starts i reckon. It makes sense for him to be benched Vs Villa, since he's likely to start the 3 following games which come in quick succession - Sevilla(Tues), Spurs(Sat), Dortmund(Weds). Also a very good chance Haaland is benched for the Wolves game following those 3 games. Probably best captain choice this gw, but just keep in mind he may not start 2 of the next 3, and the other 1 is Spurs.

Read that it’s kdB 7th anniversary at city - maybe he’ll want to get a goal or two to celebrate…

Its probably a small risk with Nunez still suspended but imagine if salah and Halland were benched this GW

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭slumdogemillionaire

From Peps press conference (I don't know the questions asked so I am not sure if he was constantly asked about the Haaland selection for this game or if he kept going back to Haaland/Alvarez himself

"I know the people are talking a lot about Erling [Haaland] - and we are pleased about that - but Julian [Alvarez] is an exceptional, exceptional player."

"Everyone is talking about Erling [Haaland], but he [Julian Alvarez] is exceptional."

Pep Guardiola on @JulianAlvarezzz:

"[I am] surprised at how good he is."

Pep on if @ErlingHaaland plays tomorrow:

"Tomorrow you will see..."

"When Erling [Haaland] doesn't play, we play Julian [Alvarez]."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

The journalist kept asking him about haaland and Alvarez to be fair but he gave nothing away as usual, I’m super spooked and seriously thinking of Jesus or Mohammed now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

On Jesus. Villa are so poor and he's playing so well. Due a few in my view

I voted Salah because he's the highest scoring player over the last five seasons and it's Liverpool at home.

But...Villa have given up on Gerrard. Jesus was too tempting to ignore and is now my captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Had to go Haaland given who City are playing. I'd have done KDB if I had him. I fancy he'll rip it up tonight too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement