Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joule SSID from heat pump

• 29-08-2022 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum here, feel free to move if necessary.

I recently moved into a newly built house with a Samsung air to water heat pump. The room thermostats are Joule branded and there's also a Joule logo on the front of the water tank inside the house. I've also noticed that there's a "joule" SSID being transmitted from it. I've looked online and can't find anything about this. Is there an app or something that I can use with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

At the same time I posted this I also contacted Joule, not expecting a reply. But they got back to me today to confirm "that signal is only for service work and has no other use." So I'll just ignore it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

I'm in a similar scenario, so finding this information here is very useful!

Still quite interested to know more about the network and related APIs though, could possibly be something useful for (unofficial) home automation options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

There's some Joule stuff to be integrated, but nothing has been from a quick look and nothing specifically for heat pumps.

Reddit threads on HA are a good source of info. One user suggested replacing the Joule ones with another brand that is supported for automation etc. (Hive, Tado).

I've integrated Hive (for a gas boiler) and it can be done in two ways, via Zigbee with no hub or through their Hub and a Hive Integration into HA.

Post edited by WildCardDoW on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Just a little update on this one, I replaced my Wi-Fi with a Ubiquiti AP yesterday and could see from the UniFi controller that this Joule SSID is a 40 MHz 2.4 GHz channel! Bit cheeky. Good thing I only need 2.4 GHz for one device, an old HP printer.

Advertisement