Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Shower Pull Switch Yourself

Options
  • 29-08-2022 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The pull switch for my shower stopped working yesterday so my shower is currently not working (before anyone says anything, yes I know there is really no need to switch it off after finishing a shower - I will not be switching it off from here on out so I can avoid this happening again). I have ordered a like-for-like replacement, but I know there are restrictions on what people can and can't do themselves when it comes to electrical works in the home. I have done a small bit of minor electrical work from time to time, and I have a voltage tester and everything to make sure that no power is running through the older switch before I take it off and pop on the new one.

I find it quite difficult to find out just exactly what is and is not allowed for us to do ourselves. Does anyone know for sure if something like this is something I am legally allowed to do, or am I required to get an electrician in for a quick job like this?

Thanks.

Edit: After having a closer look at the insides it looks like one of the neutral wires is a bit burnt/melted, so I'll definitely have to get in contact with an electrician to get it sorted.

Post edited by Jafin on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Just to reply to this in case anyone else is in the same situation

only a registered electrical contractor is permitted to do electrical work in bathrooms

this is not considered minor works as bathrooms are a designated special zone (701)

like for like replacements in these zones require testing and certification

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭niallb

It's very possible that the wiring was put in place for a 7kW shower, but that it's been replaced after a few years with something like a 9.5kW.

The original cabling from the distribution board may well be 6 square which is adequate for 7kW but depending on length is going to struggle and heat for a more powerful unit. Be prepared to discuss more than just replacing the switch with your electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

Thanks to both of you. I rang an electrician this morning and he's either going to call to me this evening or Thursday. Hopefully it won't be anything too major.

What I will say is that I bought the apartment last year and when I moved in the existing shower had a piece of plastic jammed into the on/off button on the actual shower unit and the previous owner had stickers up for his tenants saying to use the pull cord switch to turn the shower on and off. Needless to say I immediately knew this setup was ridiculous and dangerous so I had the shower itself replaced before I even moved in. As far as I can remember it was replaced with the exact same model. I have no idea what kW the shower is though. I looked up online and the same model is available in both a 7kW and 9.5kW version and they look identical from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Regarding turning the isolation switch off after each shower, the fire officer recommends that it's turned off. Most shower manufacturers recommend it too. I get that the switch isn't designed to turned off & on several times a day but having to replace it every few years is cheaper than rebuilding your bathroom (or house) after an electric shower fire.

A good quality wall isolation switch is a better option

Advertisement