Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME - post primary - chosen subjects

Options
  • 29-08-2022 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I’m considering a career change in my mid 30s. I understand the financial implications of a change in career and am not naive to the work involved with being a teacher. I would like to become a maths teacher. I’ve read through the different threads on this forum but wasn’t really able to find an answer…

I studied Electronic Engineering in UCD which had a lot of maths in it from 1st to 3rd year. It’s difficult to understand from reading the threads on here and the information available on the Teaching Council’s website whether I would in fact be eligible to become a maths teacher. I also have a Certificate in Financial Maths having completed the relevant actuarial exam - not sure if that’s even relevant.

As well as this, I am also a Chartered Accountant (ACA) so I presume would also be in a position to teach accounting? It’s difficult to understand whether this is the case from the Teaching Council’s website as well.

Would someone be able to provide guidance on how to get clarity on my prospects if I were to pursue a PME as it is obviously a huge commitment. Is it a case of looking for my transcripts for my entire degree and seeing that I have the credits required for maths? If I were to teach maths would I also be in a position to teach JC science?

I presume maths is a more desirable subject than accounting? Or what is the market like? I’m based in Dublin if that makes any difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sleek123

Not sure about the maths but you should definitely be able to teach Business and Accounting with the ACA. Possibly Economics also? I am mid 30s and in 2nd year PME also ACCA .No regrets so far if that's any reassurance :) AFAIK, getting work in Dublin will be easier than any other county.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The only way to know for definitely is to contact the TC. I think it's €200 to get your qualifications assessed. The used have a list. If that's still there you could see if your course is on it for maths. I'd probably still pay the €200 to be sure before forking out for the PME. I would presume they'd allow you teach accounting. If not officially then if you had a job the principal may put you teaching accounting. Not sure where the science is appearing from. Have you a science course done as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Oh great idea - I might just get that assessment done. I didn’t realise that was an option.

I had thought that potentially having done physics and chemistry in first and second year engineering, science could be taught to JC. Likely that I’m wrong. I’ve been considering it for a while but haven’t really looked into it all properly yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Possibly. They'll tell you. The concept of being qualified to JC is gone, you're qualified or not. But there are some exceptions such as science and business (I believe). I'd say contact them and ask about getting assessed.

Advertisement