Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Sea Connection

• 29-08-2022 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,291 ✭✭✭✭

North Sea Connection starts Sunday Sept 4th, 9.30pm on RTÉ One

Connemara family the Kennys have fished off the west coast of Ireland for generations. However, skipper Ciara might very well be the last to do so after her brother Aidan puts the family's lives in danger by facilitating a drug route for a Swedish cartel to help fund a new business venture. Crime drama, starring Lydia McGuinness, Kerr Logan and Sinead Cusack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭trashcan

Trailer looks intriguing. Will probably check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

trailer looks woeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Looking forward to this as it was made in my neck of the woods.

True story: One of the props stores was an old disused garage/shop/pub in the middle of nowhere.

One evening the guards saw numerous fancy cars parked outside and decided they better investigate.

They wandered in to find various members of the crew filling bags of (not real) "coke" for the next shoot.

Phone calls had to be made and production team had to go down to prove the lads hadn't stumbled on a drug den.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

This looks promising but with Irish drama one never knows. They are hit and miss ...

Hit

Love/Hate was the best. Depicted what it did well. All 5 seasons had something good to offer us and season 3 especially was the best Irish TV drama ever made.

Kin was not as good as L/H (so far) but was the next best thing. Great opening and conclusion. Slowish in the middle but generally this was a good show with the first season as good as L/H's first. Looking forward to season 2 and if it follows L/H in terms of getting better as it goes along we have a lot to enjoy.

Charlie was a very good dramatization of Haughey's government with many of L/H's cast.

Miss

Striking out and Finding Joy ... awful.

The Big Bow Wow ... worse.

Rebellion and Taken Down ... utterly disappointing.

Cant Cope Wont Cope and Trouble in Paradise ... bland.

Acceptable Risk and Clean Break ... so so.

PS: did not get to see Hidden Assets, Amber or Single Handed. So cannot say.

PS: I have 0 interest in hospital or cheffing dramas so cannot tell if the Clinic or Cooked Raw were good or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,291 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

Connemara. Roundstone, Leenane, Clifden area mainly. The pop up Garda station caused a lot of u-turns by locals in the first couple of days 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Starting in a few minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Dear me. How do you they pump money into these things and churn out this tripe?

Decent so far. Good plot to it. Although the plot is very similar to An Bronntanas which was aired on TG4 a few years ago

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Must say I enjoyed that, looking forward to next weeks episode.

• Advertisement

Same here. Couldnt fault it now tbh. Far better than the overrated Kin which is all over the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭MfMan

Was ok. Cast let down by a clunky, rather self-conscious script and performances were a bit too earnest and forced. As usual, things improved immensely when Stuart Graham appeared.

Good opening episode ... an interesting take on the gangland theme. Looking forward to next week.

Accents were a bit off. Even if I didn't have a connection (pun possibly intended) with the area and been around during the filming I would definitely stay watching.

If RTE Player actually lets anybody watch it there's a "meet the characters" extra which is quite interesting.

Also it was filmed during semi-lockdown which may explain the way some of the scenes were shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Memoryman

You're bang on, was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the trailer for it. Too similar in actual fact, plagiarism would clearly not seem to extend to script writing??, unless the same production company or writers are behind it. Taking Poetic Licence a bit too far I would think.

A bit of trivia for all you TV buffs: This program/mini TV series (An Bronntanas / The Gift) from 2014 ran for a total of five weeks on TG4 including an edited feature length episode and was also centred around a family run fish processing business/the fishing industry. It too was also filmed around Connemara and had all the same storyline with drug smuggling and a dead body thrown in for good measure with the added ingredient of a local Search and Rescue lifeboat crew to expand the plot even further and if that wasn't enough to wet your appetite, it also had the cupla focail with subtitles, what more could you ask for !! Incidentally, in actual fact it was nominated by IFTA for an Oscar in the Foreign Language Category. The film version premiered at the Galway film fleadh in 2014. closing the festival.

It was described in a review in The Independent as: "like No Country for Old Men, as murder, drugs and the devilish temptations of money crash-land into a small town on the Atlantic coast"

A TG4 Facebook Post of the same year described it as: The show that "makes Love Hate look like Postman Pat".....😂

Talk about bigging it up to catch the TV ratings.

It even featured here on Boards.ie in that same year but didn't fare too well in the comments having come under intense scrutiny and didn't receive very favourable posts.

Then of course how could we forget, that homegrown comedy caper the Young Offenders movie, a satirical look at drug smuggling, loosely based around the whole Dunlough Bay story and filmed around the beautiful West Cork coastline.....Daycent Boy! 😉

Well that's enough about all that......

So aside from the close similarities with An Bronntanas it was ok so far. It takes time to develop the plot and the characters so we will give it a chance I suppose.

Which guy was he, the character towards the end who played the gang boss?

On the subject of the cast. correct me if i'm wrong but did anyone happen to take notice ( not that you could miss him ) of the guy who played the character who got killed on the boat at the start. Did he play a drug squad Garda in Love Hate (how ironic)?? .........

What about the nod to Love Hate with the plastic bag scene. Who could forget that grisly L/H scene with the unfortunate dentist!!

I just wonder though in fairness how much would anyone be expected to hear with a bag over their head which creates a vacuum. not to mention the panic and shock they would be under as they're gasping for air!!

....... Disclaimer, Don't Try This At Home !!!..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Decent enough opener. Why they didn't initially put the holdalls in to the watertright blue drums featured later on the boat and retrieve them is beyond me, nobody is putting perishable holdalls with million dollar drugs directly in to the sea. Would have also been better to have been more realistic and featured cocaine on the west coast.

RTE really are all over the place, they put a preview for Meaning Of Life on directly after this and put a preview for next weeks episode of this on for the first break on Meaning Of Life.

Good one, I like it Hilarious!.....I can just imagine their faces!

A good story to tell the lads down the pub ( no pun intended! )

......Please keep us posted of anymore stories or anecdotal humour that you may have. 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Of course there is a mixed-race, and indeed multinational, couple. Of course the drug lord is from the north, with an accent veering very close to American at times.

Surely, if she got a good day's catch of fish, she'd be easily be able to hide the hold-alls underneath the bounty? That yokel country garda definitely won't suspect a thing.

Decent all the same.

• Advertisement

Maybe she should have just taken the Brexit Temporary Fleet Tie Up Scheme instead and saved herself a whole pile of bother in the process! ( No offence to any of the well intentioned and hardworking fishermen and women in what is becoming an increasingly difficult industry )

Well she certainly reached her quota in drugs that's for sure!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Pretty good opening episode and the scenery is stunning. I thought it was going be a bit slow moving at first, but they got to the action / criminal stuff fairly quickly.

I agree but what is An Bronntanas ... I seem to associate that name with some drama about the banking crisis focused on Brian Lenihan Jr on TG4 ... or am I thinking of something else?

I love this bit of the review from The Examiner. It's exactly what I was thinking myself.

😃😃😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Disappointed with the first episode, to be honest. I hope it improves over the next 5, I'll stick with it and hope for the best.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Unbelievably poor, plot line done to death, wooden acting, bizarre accents. Won't be sticking around for EP2

M

How were they supposed to be originally smuggling cigarettes underwater in holdall bags? Were they waterproof cigarettes?

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Surprised anyone can enjoy this I find it Dreadfully bad. Felt like it was a college project I was watching. Acting is atrocious as is the editing and sound. It's unbelievablely shite, makes Smother look like The Wire

Advertisement