Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Sea Connection

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭trashcan

caught up with it this evening. Found it ok. Watchable enough, and better than most RTE efforts since Love Hate. Miles better than Kin @nyway. The acting is decent for the most part. I always find Denis Conway watchable, and I’d say he’s not to be easily dismissed as a country bumpkin Guard. Think they are going for a bit of a Brendan Gleeson vibe there. I reckon Bjorn is involved in setting Aidan up with the drug smugglers. He said he had helped him by giving him a contact, and he seemed to be eyeing the Swedish cop up nervously.

Who is the guy playing the stoner/ surfer ? I’m sure I know him from something. Have a feeling it’s an ad, but I can’t place it.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I agree with most of what you have said ... NSC is decent so far and way better than most RTE efforts since Love/Hate ... I disagree about Kin ... L/H as it stands is the best ... Kin sagged a bit in the middle but the start & end were awesome ... plenty room to even up the ante in season 2 post Covid ...

NSC so far is very watchable ... and has potential to be awesome ... it is miles better than the disappointing overhyped Talen Down as well as obvious trash dramas such as Finding Joy and Striking Out ...

Similar plot. Fishermen and drugs. A bit more comical in parts. There was a farcical bar fight with a midget and the Ros na Run actor at one point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Poor episode this week, no preview afterwards of next weeks episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not too bad for me except for the Garda stereotype.

Glad there was no preview. I always switch off during the credits for any of these type of series as I don't want to see any spoilers for the next episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think the lead actress is underwhelming, imho. When I'm eating dinner, it's on in the background. I've tried. It's not 'The South Westerlies' bad (no Patrick Bergin, so of course it's above average if he's not in it) but the 'tense' moments feel like the lead actress is not strong enough for the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Were they hinting that Bjorn didn’t know what the Swedish detective said to him in Swedish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭sully123

Yeah, How long has he lived there? Its the first time he has encountered another swede since?

Bit corny last night. Garda stuff was very unoriginal. Also the stoner screw-up character. Obviously will be the first one to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That gobby one driving the boat is the most annoying character I've come across in a while.

Spoiler alert - was looking up IMDB to try and see where I knew him from, and saw he’s only listed for 3 of the 6 episodes, so I’d suspect you’re correct there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Memoryman

Genius piece of scriptwriting all the same though with your man giving the gun back to someone who was intent on killing him moments earlier!! She is a forensic scientist's dream wasn't worth her while putting on the boiler suit, she left more than enough DNA evidence around the place with all the cigarette butts!! I mean do they even care to think about the obvious things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yes.... and don't forget they also drove off without getting the drugs from the car.

The female hitman (hit-woman, hit-person??) losing her patience in the front of the van is the cringiest segment of TV I've seen in a while.

And who brought the trawler back to dock after she landed the drugs on shore?

Anyway it's comically appalling imho...somewhere between a guilty pleasure and a hate watch for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭sully123

It seems a lot better when they are speaking Swedish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Some of d'accents are rather flah, some characters not finishing their words properly too, but that happens in real life here, so...

It's watchable enough, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,820 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This is not the calibre of some of the great Irish dramas but its acceptable even with the horrible accents and slow pace

So the Swedish auld fella is in the preview for next week, so I guess he pulls through

I still think it’s ok. Couple of plot holes though. When they explained to the gang boss what happened to the guy on the boat, why wasn’t his next question “and what about my missing drugs ?” Has he forgotten about them ? Also, has nobody missed the part of the stash the stoner pilfered ? And what about his post mortem ? Isn’t there a chance the autopsy will reveal the shooting, even on a burned body ? (No expertise here, so I genuinely don’t know the answer to that.)I liked the fact that they had the car on video on the phone.

Was there even a body left ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just started this areir. I sussed something straight away with the Swedish guy, the way he said and schedule, at the diner party. Asking the girl if she caught anything fishing.

I'll keep going at it for now.

Only caught up with Sundays episode now. Probably the one with the most twists so far. Even the accents seemed slightly less Oirish.

M

A 'ghost' car transporter with 2000 Toyota Corolla's from 1996 fitted with new 500bhp engines sinking off Clifden tonight would make the current plotline more feasible.

• Advertisement

Does the Aidan lad remind anyone else of a young Bryan Murray in his Irish RM days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭patrickc

that ending, obviously a series 2 coming next year.

M

If there's not I will be freaked and make my own lower budget version using similar actors 😁

It was very impressive visually, some great scenery and some interesting people, especially the two female leads. The script was weak, with too many strange leaps (do they not think that someone is going to notice the new baby arrival) and stereotypes (the gruff, old, bearded fisherman).

Where is the fishing village shown in the drone shots?

Don't put all your hopes for a 2nd season

'Redwater' That eastenders spin off thing ended on a cliffhanger and never returned for a 2nd season (think the characters are all alive and well in Walford)

This was an OK series with some horrible acting and grandad fighting scenes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

shame Lydia mcguinnes can't close her mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I thought it was really awful. The acting was woeful and the story??!! I couldn’t follow it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

Roundstone, Co. Galway

Advertisement