Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can get 2GB Fibre but my equipment is only 1GB Max - should I stick with the 1GB Fibre

Options
  • 30-08-2022 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

As the title says - I can order 2GB fibre but my current setup is 1GB - will it be of any advantage to me to get the 2GB - would I need to upgrade equipment - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭65535

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The real question is do you really need any more than 1Gbps?

It's the upload that I need - I might wait for SIRO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yes, if you want to watch 80 4K streams at once.

Or you want to backup the Internet.

😊

Or if you work from home in a large household where sizeable demands are placed on the existing connection by having servers that are used by others on the internet to download from - which is the upload speed that I'm referring to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Is there a date for SIRO 2Gb? I'm currently on the old SIRO 1Gb/200Mb connection. I'm kinda half debating on going for the 2Gb/200Mb just because.... but if I know SIRO is going to be coming to everyone soon I'd hold off.

Well I've 'ordered' the 1GB - One of the questions will be can I upgrade to the 2GB at a later stage - I'd like to see if I can just get a stable 1GB first - fixed IP and VoIP number ported.

No date as far as I know for the SIRO 2GB - I've seen the fibres being installed by SIRO to the electrical junction boxes on the road but that's all - no move or eircode working and that was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

AFAIK anyone getting SIRO for the last little while has gotten an ONT capable of up to 10Gbps. So I imagine there will be no issue for you to upgrade. I on the other hand have the older ONT which means I will need an engineer to change that out before I can get anything over 1Gbps

Advertisement