Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Religious Fanaticism with Hallucinations

• 30-08-2022 5:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Would like an opinion.

My wife was never religious nor went to mass. Then two years after marriage in 2017 she 'found God'. Since then she has progressively become more and more obsessed with Jesus and all things religion.

She goes to mass everyday. Is basically in constant prayer. Praying at a minimum every two hours. Reading the Bible or religious material throughout the day and for an hour before bed. Wears a scarf on her head in church. Only wears long skirts (women should not wear jeans or trousers). Believes women should not work. Etc etc etc

Now she has started having 'visions' (hallucinations). At least four since April. She has even written them down in detail. (She doesn't know I know) Including a sketch of a demon she saw.

One vision where she 'saw' a bleeding heart with thorns 5 metres wide that burst into a bright light. Another where she saw Jesus on a cross bleeding, the blood dropping to the ground and then she is floating above the ground looking down into a crater where she sees a demon with a pointed nose and sharp teeth. Another where she 'heard a voice' asking her "are you going to fast for me today?"

We have two young children under 6. She speaks about God and Jesus to them multiple times each day. First thing in the morning and last thing at night. Prayers before meals and prayers on knees before bed.

I could go on and on but I'll stop here.

Post edited by looksee on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: OP, there are two ways of approaching your question, this is the Christianity forum and the view would likely be that reading religious material, praying and talking to the children about God is perfectly normal, even visions are traditionally part of religious experience. On the other hand there will be those who argue that she has mental health issues. The path between these two options is too narrow for a public chat room to maintain and is ultimately unlikely to provide any useful guidance for you.

I am going to close this thread in order to discuss with my fellow mods whether it is an appropriate topic for Christianity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

OP, I'm going to leave this one closed. Given that your wife is hallucinating, I'd be concerned that whats going on goes beyond the scope of what PI can help with.

I would suggest you make an appointment with your GP and discuss the matter with them and seek their advice.

Wish you all the best with it.

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement