Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I would like to ask you how you compose riffs in this or other style

Options
  • 30-08-2022 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there! Anyway, I'm a guitarist and I love death metal. I would like to ask you how you compose riffs in this or other style. How do you structure your songs? It's a bit of a stretch for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I don't listen to death metal and certainly don't know how to play it, but I took a quick google about what may be a good starting point, and it was suggested that taking notes from the Dorian #4 Scale (or Ukrainian Dorian Scale).

ROB SILVER: DORIAN #4 (rob-silver.com)

Another site suggested using the following scales; natural minor, melodic minor, harmonic minor especially, major- different modes like lydian, dorian, phrygian.

Personally I dick about with simpler things like the minor pentatonics haha, but I play acoustic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 petrderbikov

Thank you are lot guy, but I know this information

I mean no theory there

I would like to know how you write riffs, what do you do for that

For example I just listening music that genre I want to wrote. For example it Dying Fetus

• Advertisement

And after that I feel this flow so to speak

And there is begin a melody in my head

I try to put this melody on the guitar and also add something else along the way

And after that I have a new riff

So, I want to know what is your approach to writing rifs?

• Advertisement

Sory for my English grammar. I am from Ukraine and I trying to learn English and German too

If you notice the mistakes please tell me about it

?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

I generally just start playing and it sort of just happens, the first riff anyway, after that I try to think what sort of riff would fit with this and mess around with something to get a tempo/feel and then I refine the melody and then I'd refine everything else, repeat for next riff, but the first usually comes out of nowhere, it could be influenced by what I'm currently listening to (Thou, latter era Killing Joke) or something else entirely

Here’s some great advice

DO NOT BELIEVE IN GENRES AND DO NOT CONFORM TO THE RULES OF METAL

death metal has gone a little stale lately in my opinion because of a lack of diversity in songwriting

listen to a wide range of different types of music and subconsciously you will be broadening your pallet , the more music you listen to the more tools you will have to draw from

write music that you think is good and don’t take negative advice too seriously, all great songwriters were dismissed by their peers

your riffs will be death metal once drums guitars and bass and vocals are added but don’t get tied up in trying to be death metal.

my best advice on riff writing is if it sounds like something that YOU would listen to then it’s a good riff

Advertisement