Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 10 (ITT): Elche -> Alicante (30.9km)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I thought Mas would lose more time today tbh, and Remco would catch him well before the end. So not that bad a result.

Lopez coming 9th on a 30k flat TT is the shock result for me, wtf is that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think there was enough there for Sam to take it away from him and bar him getting in breakaways, presuming there were mid way points, I didn't see Mads taking it from him. Even in the last heads up against each other when they were going for minor placings Sam didn't even open up and comfortable took him at the line. Sam more than capable of an uphill finish if needed and Bora would have marked Mads out. It wouldn't have been far apart but I think Ryan is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The results to this point are that many cyclists struggle to get their form back after a bout of covid.

Chris Froome is one of the latest to talk about his struggles in the wake of having covid. He got it during the Tour.

Can you imagine if Remco, Vingegaard, Pog, Bernal and I'll add Ayuso line up for the Tour next year? I'll be glued to every stage all day if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

I'd tend to agree. Can't help but feel, but for some bad luck, Sam would have been looking at another green jersey in the TdF last year and green at this year's vuelta. As it is, he's missed out on two of his best years racing due to injury, poor form and now Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, he was right to bow out with the injury but then half the best sprinters in the world didn't show up and he would have won it on 50%. I have the same issue in many of my races , so do many others. The one thing that injury did was show his class, Pat was pure scum and Sam was class in how he restrained himself. Alas, he was a good teammate and went out to dinner with the rest. Regardless of people's views on the regs, they are there and his team probably should have been more cautious but like most of us, we have moved to seeing Covid as a lesser threat. People may say the UCI are slow but someone there is covering there ass. Considering Patrick previously mentioned is still allowed near riders, shows that if the rules were relaxed, some would rude them even if symptomatic, it's a no win discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

What's the odds on Van Poppel winning a stage now? I know it's a different ball game being a lead out but he's in super form and nobody would begrudge him the victory. Probably needs to surf the Trek train or keep an eye on Groves who also has a victory in him. Since Hindley looks cooked on GC, BORA can surely loosen up a bit and let riders away on breaks maybe- Higuita and Kelderman might as well try a few attacks and try nip a stage. Sam leaving is not necessarily a total disaster for them , disappointed and all as I am for him.

Yeah I think Van Poppel is a serious contender tomorrow. As you said he's riding great and now he can go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Advertisement