Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pint vs Non-Alcoholic Pint pricewise

Options
  • 30-08-2022 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Was in a Dublin looking at a price list and saw that while a pint of Guinness cost €6, the price of a pint of Guinness 0.0 was €5.50. which seemed ridiculous considering there's no excise tax on the G0.0. In this case, would the pub be making bigger profit on the non-alcoholic pint?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Beer excise duty is approx 50c - 55c per pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plus VAT on that element

NA beer has a relatively costly production process also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not sure about the zero excise. I thought excise was based on the pre-fermentation sugar levels. They ferment, then remove the alcohol, but cannot remove the excise.

Now I may be completely wrong, but that was the way I understood it long ago. Long ago, it was the explanation why non-alcohol lager cost as much as the real stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Excise is not and never has been based on pre-fermentation sugar levels. That isn't even a reliable indicator of final ABV - not all sugars are consumed by the yeast.

It is on the final product, and anything below 1.2% is zero (its 0.5% in some EU countries, but 1.2% here - so we actually have a 0.5%-1.2% band, but set to 0.00)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I might be missing something. But €5.50 is less than €6.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭lau1247

Yes but probably in OP's mind is that the non alcoholic ones should have a slightly bigger gap (cheaper) taking into consideration that there is no alcohol.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Non alcoholic drinks traditionally typically had had a much higher margin than alcoholic ones in pubs. Few people would take up a seat in a pub and drink 10 pints worth of coke over the course of a night. I remember working it out before and a pint of coke was about twice the price of beer, some lemonades are even worse as the bottle can be tiny so takes a few to make up 568ml (with no ice). If a publican wants to make the same profit per person per night then they may have to increase the price of a pint of non alcoholic guinness to more than a regular one. This would obviously raise eyebrows and appear unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why would the fact it is no alcohol affect the price? The difference in excise is about 50c. So it comes purely comes down to the cost of the product. And seeing as the production is essential the same (or more involved), transport is the same, labour, in the same, margin the same, etc. I can't see why it would be cheaper.

Advertisement