Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmeath school gets temporary injunction banning a suspended teacher from it's premises

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I can just see the American right-wing Youtubers taking this story out of context to create click-bait content:

"Irish teacher jailed after refusing to use trans pronouns!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

If they've a strong faith then shouldn't they believe that God said "Thou shalt not steal" and "Thou shalt not kill" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

do you know why he was arrested and locked up? do you know what led to the original injunction?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,513 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's laughable I know but often prisoners can be like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Allinall

Are we still paying his wages?

• Advertisement

There's a program on tonight about the murder of Declan Flynn in Dublin. It shows how members of the gay community were threated in past.

It took years for members of the gay and lesbian community to be accepted in Ireland and it started off by a very small amount of people making changes and being more accepting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Who cares, they're the fools paying the Burke family legal bills anyway. If they have good money to throw after bad, let 'em off.

Mr Burke is not a state employee. He is an employee of the school. His salary is probably paid by the state but it could be otherwise. It’s the amazing mess of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I do and in no way do I support or endorse this clown and the ideology he holds, he has made the situation tenfold worse for himself than it was by his own actions and ignorance, but the crux of the issue is this all started when he was being asked to do something he blatantly believed to be untrue.

I find myself conflicted -I hate the Burkes and every drip of religiously charged bullshit they carry on with, but on a very fundamental level, it is a slippery slope when we start down this road of prioritising the feelings of a minority over expected/enforced structure.

I'm teaching my daughter that there are 2 genders and a defined set of sexualities within them, just as I was thought and my parents before me. I'm not buying in to this new age nonsense, I'm not being pressured or bullied in to it by anyone with skin in the game, I'm not enabling it and I'm sure as hell not telling my daughter to deceive herself just to appease the feelings of someone else.

Personally, I think the whole gender non binary and trans stuff is a sign of the times and only faddish for now. It doesn't have the support to ever become a mainstream thing (it's too toxic anyway to be accepted by anyone but the weakest of the weak), and I guarantee you we will read opinion pieces in 25 years asking us how we allowed this to happen.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's already there all over the comments of the tweet posted above saying he'd been jailed.

Earlier, people were posting links to the cases in the UK and EU where teachers/lecturers went to courts over the usage of Pro-nouns.

One teacher won their case , the other lost - But both followed the process as laid down , they lodged their appeals and then went through the courts until they got to the end of the line.

Neither of them stood up at a public event and got into a shouting match with their employer , neither of them kept turning up for work after bring suspended (I don't even think they got suspended in the 1st place ) , neither of them breached a court order by repeatedly trespassing on school property and causing untold disruption and as a result neither of them spent any time in Prison "for their opinions".

Enoch Burke is in prison because he wants to be in prison as he wants the attention and the right-wing martyrdom he thinks will come with it.

• Advertisement

I find this type of comment disingenuous, you can't really compare them. I have never understood homophobia - it's evident in the animal kingdom across all species and its been a part of human history stretching to the stone age. People like people of the same sex, big deal - that struggle should never have occurred only for the closed mindedness of human man.

However - telling me to refer to you as a woman when I can clearly see you are a fella? **** off. Asking me to call me you by a special pronoun when I refer to men as he/him and women as she/her based on my own eyes of what they are? **** off. And anyone going on about 3 spirit genders, or switching from male to female to male depending what day it is? **** the **** off.

Natural observable traits and sexuality preferences? No issues. Playing make believe games past 8 years old and then stamping your feet cos grown ass adults won't play along? Get the **** out of here, I don't care in the slightest.

i don't give a monkeys what you, or him, believe in. He was asked to show a little of bit of respect to one of his students. In response he went on a public tirade as a school event. **** him, he deserves everything he gets.

the only person stamping their feet was Burke.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah, fair point, but again - he either abides by his employer's wishes or he finds new employment. Same goes for all of us. Would you expect a Muslim to take up emloyment in a pork bucher's and then complain that his relgiious rights were being violated when he had to touch the meat?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So I ask you to refer to me as Don Corleone in work, you refuse and you go to the manager saying listen what this idiot is saying and asking of me. Manager responds and says you have to call him Don Corleone or you are fired, that's what he wants to be referred to as.

Are you accepting that or avoiding me? Are you saying yes I'll do that no questions or in your head are you thinking who the **** does this guy think he is? It's not about respect because that is earned not given, so what motivation do you have to call me Don Corleone apart from the threat of official sanction?

if you want to be called Don I will call you Don. Why wouldn't I?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But it's not "Prioritising" in any way shape or form - it's treating them equally and respectfully.

What if he were an Atheist and he told the Chaplin of the school (assuming they have one) - "I refuse to call you "Reverend" or "Father" because Religion is utter nonsense and anyone that believes in God is suffering from a mental illness so I'm just going to call you Mr. Smith and you'll just have to deal with it because my belief system is more important than yours"

Would he be right then?

Or perhaps , despite being an Atheist should he just call the guy Reverend Smith because that's his name now that he is a Priest and it's just the decent respectful thing to do as a human being?

your employer might on any number of topics ask you to keep a lid on what you believe in if theres potential for it to cause issues

again this isnt about beliefs its about the employability or otherwise of someone who cannot help but make a scene because their beliefs are very special compared to anyone else's

i dont believe people can be the wrong gender but i can manage the basics if im to spend time around someone who does believe they are.

that may not be enough for many but its certainly a bare minimum that i think isnt too much to ask tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sure, the US right has no shortage of hacks and grifters. However, on the other hand, the likes of Bill Maher is quite capable of spouting complete bollocks.

I don't fully understand what it's like to be in the position where you feel uncomfortable with your chosen gender, somebody who's transitioned, or whatever it maybe.

However if I encounter somebody who asks me to refer to them by a certain name, title, etc I don't see what difference it makes to me if it makes them feel comfortable.

• Advertisement

No you are still getting fired cos I asked for Don Corleone in full, not Don or an abbreviation. You are hurting my feelings by not referring to me as the full title.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sure thats the hill some boardsies are choosing to die on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

How long will he be in for?

Listen I have no problem on an individual basis, I'm not going to go as far as calling you a woman if you are clearly a fella (that's a line I will never cross regardless of consequence) but I'll call you by the name you tell me you are. On the other side, I'm not going to refer to a single person as they or them because thats just ridiculous and it's not common structure when speaking about a male or female. Your feelings are irrelevant, you are asking me to throw out the common structure I use when talking to refer to you in a special sense and I'm not doing that because news flash - your feelings are completely irrelevant to a stranger.

But sure that's exactly what they wanted.

You can be sure said Youtubers and transphobes will make no mention of Burke's appalling behaviour towards their employer at a public function - you know, the act which actually lead to his suspension and the injunction being taken out on them.

Burke will see this as a victory, and will hold himself up as a martyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,440 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

All I’m concerned with is if MY taxes are being used to fund these bulbs in their numerous court cases.

Say it ain’t so…..

now you're just being a twat. try to discuss things like an adult.

Not being a 'twat' at all, maybe play the post instead of the poster? My scenario is exactly the equivalent of what is being asked in this case - refute it if you can without the low ball insults. There's nothing outlandish about my request Vs a male or female asking you to call themselves they/them. Mine is a name, theirs is a pluralism.

like i said if you want to be called Don I will call you Don. I may laugh at with others behind your back but that is a separate matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The lesbians and gays attacked in the last few months around Dublin might well disagree that homophobia is now confined to the past.

So being gay is ok because people have been gay for millennia?

People have been transgender/third-gender for millennia, too. Just because you may not have been aware of it doesn't mean it didn't happen or doesn't happen. Are the practices of indigenous cultures, who have been perfectly accepting of 'spirit gender', not worthy of respect?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement