Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmeath school gets temporary injunction banning a suspended teacher from it's premises

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Thejournal.ie got the ball rolling on that one.

I do and in no way do I support or endorse this clown and the ideology he holds, he has made the situation tenfold worse for himself than it was by his own actions and ignorance, but the crux of the issue is this all started when he was being asked to do something he blatantly believed to be untrue.

You are slightly misrepresenting the issue at hand.

Its not whether he has this belief or that belief, its how he reacted to the request that is at issue.

He could believe in the flying spaghetti monster and it still wouldn't make his actions justifiable

• Registered Users Posts: 30,513 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I should have being more clear in my post. Homophobia still exists in Ireland.

However I was just trying to say about how something was viewed in the 1980's compared to how it would be viewed now and how things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The actual headline should be "Man deliberately gets himself thrown in jail to fulfil his martyr complex"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Neither does Ireland.

The story began as Journal.ie clickbait.

The reason for Burke's suspension didn't appear in the headline or the first three paragraphs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

What a horrible view of it - you should blindly nod along with something completely at odds with what you personally believe just because your workplace tells you so? I wouldn't tolerate it for a second in my workplace, we are there to work not to placate feelings or play make believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes, and if I was your employer I wouldn't give a **** what you think of the situation. And if you don't want to comply, you can resign. If you refuse to do either, I'd fire you. Don't need troublemakers in my workplace.

(I'm assuming, btw, that Mr Coreleone shows up on time and gets his work done)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How long is a piece of string? Until he purges his contempt or the court decides otherwise.

It's largely in his own hands, all he has to do is give an undertaking to comply with the court injunction he has broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They've been at it for the last two years - just ask Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

That said, if stood up and called him "fuckwit", I thnk they'd be pulled up on it - no matter how accurate the name is.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm teaching my daughter that there are 2 genders and a defined set of sexualities within them, just as I was thought and my parents before me. I'm not buying in to this new age nonsense, I'm not being pressured or bullied in to it by anyone with skin in the game, I'm not enabling it and I'm sure as hell not telling my daughter to deceive herself just to appease the feelings of someone else.

Personally, I think the whole gender non binary and trans stuff is a sign of the times and only faddish for now. It doesn't have the support to ever become a mainstream thing (it's too toxic anyway to be accepted by anyone but the weakest of the weak), and I guarantee you we will read opinion pieces in 25 years asking us how we allowed this to happen.

I don't think this is some fad that is just going to disappear. Firstly it's not new - it was just hidden away and suppressed by people and there was probably no name for it. Much like homosexuality, this is something that was repressed for a long time by society and now that that repression has been lifted there is almost certainly no going back.

Also from what I've seen of young people today you'll be fighting a losing battle trying to teach your daughter anything else on this matter (she'll listen to you until at a certain age she won't). Teenagers today appear to have no issues with all these new identities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'd say the chaplain in Mountjoy has put in for the week off rather than be subjected to Burkes nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 14,489 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The week? This flute will never purge his contempt, none of them would. He'll be there months, martyrdom all the way.

I can see the vigils outside Mountjoy starting soon, of his family and their evangelical American backers and Gemmsie and Ben Gilroy and Iona and every other utter cockwomble this Country has the misfortune to be subjected to.

It’s an accurate point which improves your own record in the thread. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If you genuinely want to be called Don Corleone, or any other name, most people wouldn't really give a damn. But you're not genuine, you're mocking and everyone can see through it quite easily. I'm sure you believe your posts have a "gotcha", they don't. Particularly when read with your other posts showing zero understanding for how the system works and wilful (I hope) ignorance to the reasons for Mr Burke's "predicament". In truth, your posts are coming across as ill educated and reactionary, without any actual intelligent thought put into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mr Burke may well find that some inmates don't care if he is a man in God’s eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Punctuation is not grammar! I have corrected the punctuation versus what was in the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

The problem is your example is not good or realistic. Same with Enoch going about making his point the wrong way. His point is totally lost due to his bad behaviour. I know he is intentionally looking for media attention but he has not played it smart.

• Advertisement

Intelligent people are not always smart. I was intrigued that he represented himself in Court, Ammi wasn’t in attendance. She blew up her own law career by being equally clueless about how normal people behave in a work environment.

Why is it not realistic? Its the exact same type of request - I'm asking to be referred to as something out of the ordinary that I WANT to be reffered to as, and I want people to comply with it. Maybe there's not enough "feelings" behind Don Corleone or enough of a sob story, it doesn't change that the request is the same thing. It's very telling though that it would be a point of ridicule for some of the laughable hypocrites here, the same types asking why it's such an effort or problem to use pronouns but don't dare have a select name for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He was just back from his 3 months annual leave and wanted more ‘time’ off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I was dissapointed Ammi didn't appear.

Really dial up the mentalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The last (in)famous Mayo contempt of court case was for the Rosslort 5 who spent 94 days in chokey and never purged their contempt - in that case Shell applied for the injunction to be lifted. On the assumption that EB wants to be a martyr, what will the school do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ah yes, ranting about the "nonsense" of preferred names on an anonymous forum that allows you to choose what name you go by 🙄

Again, you are misrepresenting the issue at hand.

What a horrible view of it - you should blindly nod along with something completely at odds with what you personally believe just because your workplace tells you so? I wouldn't tolerate it for a second in my workplace, we are there to work not to placate feelings or play make believe.

Actually as a school teacher he is responsible for minors so keep that in mind. he also has responsibilities under the Equal Status Act and the only way he can avoid those is to leave his profession.

As to the actual issue at hand, there's disagreeing with something in the workplace and then there's this....tantrum I think is the best word for it:

• Following a meeting between the principal, a student and the student’s parents, where the principal was told the child wished to transition, the Principal held a meeting with staff to inform them of the details.

According to papers filed in court, Mr Burke later told Ms McShane he could not agree with transgenderism and that “the demand” she had made should be withdrawn.

However, the principal pointed out that the ethos of the school was inclusive, and that the welfare of students was paramount.

Ms McShane told Mr Burke that it was also part of the school’s admission policy that it would not discriminate against a student on any of the grounds set out in the Equal Status Act.

She said any refusal to address persons by their preferred gender or new name would constitute discrimination on gender grounds.

An affidavit filed by board of management chair John Rogers outlined how Mr Burke refused to accept this and repeatedly raised the issue and clashed with the principal and the board.

• Then in June

Mr Burke interrupted a church service marking the school’s 260th anniversary in June.

During the closing prayer, he is said to have stood up and spoke for between two and three minutes, demanding the request by Ms McShane be withdrawn.

He claimed it was against the ethos of the school and the vision of its founder, Andrew Wilson, as well as the teachings of the Church of Ireland.

The outburst prompted a walk-out by members of the congregation, including sixth-year students.

• Following the church service there was a dinner function at which:

Mr Burke approached Ms McShane and, in a “heated” manner, asked her to withdraw the request she had made to staff.

Ms McShane said she was willing to speak to him, but this was not the appropriate place and she walked away from him. However, it is alleged he followed and continued to question her loudly. Mr Rogers said other people stood in between them to prevent the continuation of the questioning.

Followed by

• Suspended with pay on Aug 24th
    • Continued attending the school and refused to follow the suspension
    • Taken to court to get an injunction against him
    • Injunction against him given on Wed 31st Aug
    • Ignored the injunction on Thu 01 Sep
    • Ignored the injunction on Fri 02 Sep
    • Ignored the injunction on Mon 05 Sep
    • Arrested and taken to court.
    • Tells the judge he won't follow the direction of the court "He confirmed that if he was not jailed, he intended to turn up for work at the school tomorrow morning."
    • Ends up in a jail cell in Mountjoy

So as I said, his beliefs are not the issue, its how he handled himself. You may wish to twist it to that narrative but thankfully all reporting I've seen so far has included almost all of the details outlined above which paint a very clear picture.

Its also worth noting the principal expressed “serious concerns” about how Mr Burke might act in future. “These concerns extend to the student concerned and the entire student body,” she said.

If he keeps going the way he is I'd say a hearing in front of the teaching council will be next at which point he's likely to lose his license to teach. Indeed it wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened for similar issues

It's all nonsense pal, some people are just choosing to anchor more importance and reverence to some it than the rest.

I suspect they will want him to attend his disciplinary meeting later this month, no doubt they are now carefully researching their right to legally terminate his contract.

Honestly, who would now employ a member of this family?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was surprised the mammy didn't make an appearance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement