Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pre 1991 Registration Plates

Options
  • 30-08-2022 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I was told Pre 1991 plates do not need the irl or county to be legal, for NCT purposes. Im guessing its true as it seems too specific to be made up.

He said a lot of NCT centres are not aware of this and need to be told. Anybody got experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I have this style on a 1988 car and never an issue with the nct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Correct - 1990 and earlier don’t need the county or IRL flag. 1986 and earlier don’t need to be white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

If anyone is ever in any doubt as to how a 'Euro Plate' (1991 and onwards) should be, its all here

S.I. No. 318/1992 - Vehicle Registration and Taxation Regulations, 1992. (irishstatutebook.ie)

Reflective plates became a requirement in the early eighties (from an amendment to a 1958 statute and is very difficult to find) but were around from the early 70's. I remember making up both types in '72 and '73 on a punch press and fitting the plastic letters. Pressed plates were about too

Post edited by w124man on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I even printed out the revelant parts of that for the test. One of the first things the tester said was I'm going to have to have "propper" plates made up. I used to work with him years before and had a bit of banter with him over it, but it did take one of the other lads to tell him that they were fine.

My 1990 300SE failed on plates in Arklow NCT even though the regulations were posted on the Centre's noticeboard. Supervisor came over and issued a cert straight away

I was told that these plates were wrong too even though they were fitted by the garage when the car was new!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ryano87

Are there any rules around format of ZV plate?

Like a 1992 car can now be on a zv and I don't see guidance anywhere about their format

No there are no specific formats for ZV plates mentioned but there are formats mentioned for pre '87 plates, '87 - '90 plates and '91 and onwards plates. ZV plates are hardly mentioned other than they can be put on an import over 30 years old.

Advertisement