Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the future of FG with Leo Varadkar or Simon Coveney?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

there both crooks but Leo is gay so puts up with a lot of homophobia so shouldnt have to put up with as much flak you know yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭timmyntc

wha??

Paschal appears to be the most competent and has held a high profile ministry for a long time. If Coveney can be considered "leadership material" then Donohue surely is too.

McEntee may well get it purely for the perceived likeability and being down with the kids making tiktoks, stranger things have happened. I'd put her and Donohue as more likely to get it than Coveney

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A boring robot. The charisma of a paper bag. I believe he was a complete dumbass in (private Clongowes) school too (heard from a friend in FG). It shows that you can throw a fortune at a person with no natural ability and add in the right connections they can be a success. Simon Coveney sums up everything wrong with Irish politics these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Having an eegit like harris who didn't even finish college as your minister for education says enough, minster of health too, joke of a person.

Varadkar was the ultimate homophobe.

He was against gay marriage until it was a vote winner.

As Timmy says above, Paschal, for all his flaws, is an excellent politician. He'll never get my vote but I respect him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

So you are complaining about Him as a TD because he dropped out of college?

Not everyone needs to go to college and shouldn’t be called an “eegit” because of it

These people, no matter what party, have managed to get right to the top of politics. Hardly an “eegit”?

Post edited by brokenangel on

A college degree is not a sign of competence.

That is precisely the problem with the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If I was betting today, I'd say McEntee would be next leader (depending on when it happened (timing could mean missing out due to maternity leave, so could be next +1).

Varadkar might be young, but everyone has a political shelf life, funny that the younger ones in power tend to realise this faster and move on than the older ones (I'd guess because they can't pivot to something else as easily). If be surprised if he was still a TD at 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Varadkar was an example of a clueless FG oireachtas party going against the FG grassroots to pander to the politically correct morons in the Dublin media in the hope it would give FG some friendly media coverage. Varadkar has been a disaster for FG and has lost seats for FG in every election since he was installed. He even lost a seat in Wexford that FG had already almost won (Murphy). McEntee would be an even worse choice. FG needs a leader with brains, electoral appeal and good political instincts. Donohoe, Carroll MacNeill and Richmond should on the shortlist. Since it is the FG Politburo making the choice, they'll probably make a mess of it again.

Regards...jmcc

Personally id like for instance minister of health to be a doctor, minister of justice to be barrister, that's just me though, id like my politicians to have actual experience in the fields they are making decisions that effect the whole country on, not just getting job because they are friends with the leader. Wasn't calling him an eegit for not going to college either, just think hes a weasely type character.

• Advertisement

To me as stated above, id like my minsters to be very experienced in the field they are managing, like any private sector job. Jobs for friends in high positions is exactly what is wrong with this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Think Coveney has done a good job dealing with the Brits on Brexit and constantly having to go on their media to counter serious ignorance. Think he's done a good job in his portfolio to be fair.

We all know what you meant…but anyway

You will find in most top private companies the top people don’t have a clue about the product /service they sell but that’s not their job.

They bring their skills table while the rest of the team bring theirs…

England thought they could push ireland over and end up with a sweet deal, in the end that didn’t happen and now the Brits are struggling massively

Have to also remember Helen McEntee was right in the middle of that and got huge praise from Europe, of course in ireland some will say all she done was have a baby🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Ah not so sure about that, most CEOs have business degrees or some bit of expertise to run big companies, my point which you are not acknowledging is harris has zero qualifications or experience to be in a ministerial position of health especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

MC entee inherited her daddy's chair due to parish pump politics & you say she does little wrong what about the gagging of the irish people with her hate speech & free speech laws, you dont realize whats shes doing under her blonde hair and gentle voice !!

Advertisement