Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Avoid the place at all costs!

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

We must all recall that the centre car park is never never full. Even if a few had used the place to commute from via the bus, it was clearly not a big enough problem to justify charging to park.

Thankfully those who defend riding people for their money are few in number but IMO it should be zero. Charging at an out of town shopping centre outside the M50 is daft and short-sighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I must have been imagining things then 3 or 4 years ago in December when I saw approach roads lined with parked cars, even grass verges full of parked cars. People driving around for ages looking for a space. Pre-pandemic it was normally chaos there in December which is why it's bizarre they have allowed the roadworks to drag on for so long. I don't think paid parking (at least, not the way it's being done with crap machines and no free period) is the answer though.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have been in a few times (less than normal since charge came in) constantly an issue at barriers. Tap for payment not working, number plate not recognised. Marks side car park definitely quieter than it was imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Random question.

What way are the roadworks around the centre like now?

I've to go to the hermitage tmw lunch time. I'll be coming in from M50 , so N4 exit 2 ....am I likely to hit extra "unexpected" traffic on the first roundabout....I think I'll be in a separate lane for turning right anyway....but I'm thinking tailbacks .

It's my first time going to the hermitage and I really don't like surprises when driving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whatever mess is happening in LV won't affect you heading from M50 to the Hermitage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Great thank you.

I haven't been to Liffey valley since the summer ... early Sunday morning...and coming off exit 1 was less than fun......I didn't know about the upgrade.

Just worried the fonthill roundabout...I think it'd the fonthill roundabout....would have a similar story.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The exit from the N4 down to LV and the Hermitage is exit 2 - see here with exit 1 being the junction with the M50.

The small roundabout down the slip road (where you'll be driving under the N4 to get to the Hermitage) should be fairly clear but with Christmas traffic starting to increase, you might have a little bit of queueing to get off the N4 onto the slip road although if there is, I reckon it will be quick moving.

…this is the same reason I’ve heard from about 4 different independent people- whilst the queues there at lunchtime on the Lucan road were nearly right down to the on ramp of the m50 indicate that a lot of people are still going there, the Christmas period is the exception- come mid- January, let’s see how busy it is -some I know won’t go there now on principle, and some because it’s just chaotic.

Id rarely go there myself thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I was in the retail park yesterday, coming from the Maynooth direction on the N4.

The traffic works and cones on the road in front of where the car showrooms are are basically gone. But so has the roundabout where one turns right to the retail park. Long queue there to turn right.

The car park in the retail park was ( guess ) 66% full - for a Monday morning at +- 10h00? And I found it odd that the arming bays nearest the road was almost full.

I didn’t drive in front of the SC’s car parks so cannot comment. Only thing I will say is that my customer in the SC who told me the footfall ( on certain days ) is down 50-60%, hasn’t ordered anything from me since then which is 3-4 weeks ago whereas I would normally be with them at least once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I used to order clothes from M and S and pick them up . Not anymore I am not paying €2.50 to fly in to pick up a package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you "fly in" you should be able to park, go into M&S, pick up your order and "fly out" all within 15 minutes, so no parking charge. Bit tight though if there is a queue, they really should have made that 30 minutes. Enough to do a quick M&S shop too or order a takeaway and wait for it. A lot of businesses will suffer from these parking charges.

I agree, 15 minutes is too short.

Even 30 minutes would have been more realistic for the reasons you've given, or for doing a quick exchange or returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Received a glossy booklet incl vouchers specifically for Liffey Valley M&S through the letterbox yesterday.

Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

To be fair, Marks have just completed a big revamp of the foodhall, so there is the promotion of that to be considered.

But nonetheless, you are correct, I have clients in properties in the wider LV complex and the story is of widespread anxiety within the main centre about footfall being gutted. All these shops make their profit in the last 6 weeks of the year and it just doesn't show any sign of picking up.

That would concur with the feedback I’m getting too.

I fear for jobs there come mid January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Idiots who run the centre should leave the barriers up for December and let the businesses make their money's. They can re-introduce the barriers in January and I would suggest put in a normal ticketing system rather then the disaster that is the current camera based system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I can't believe the retailers are not going mental by now? If LV management won't listen to customers and employees, surely they'd listen to the retailers who pay the 6 figure annual rents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

i know someone working in one of the larger stores, and footfall is way down, and hours have been cut. what business brain came up with this idea?

One word answers Your question: GREED

What I fear though is they ( the landlords ) have pumped so much money into this set-up, hard to see where this charade will end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well they won't want it to end in receivership, so I imagine they are sweating.

Besides, most of these tenants are big hitting multiples. If they don't think they are being taken care of well enough by the bosses of LV, they can put the squeeze on Hines at other locations in Ireland and Britain.

Take away the charges till the new year. And make the first hour free. Otherwise they are in big trouble. M and S are after spending a fortune doing the place up. That end of the center was empty for ages after topshop and all related shops pulled out, only just recovering down there with Zara. Penneys could leave, I don't think they will take being put in a bad situation. I wonder how the new SC in Adamstown will hit it. Obviously it will have some affect on it.

Wasn’t there rumours that Blanchardstown was also going down this route?

I would think after the debacle that is LV, it’s put the brakes on any thought into doing the same in Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭facehugger99

They're telling you porkies.

The entrance roads and car parks are wedged every day.

The parking charge will be going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Was there yesterday evening for the first time in a while. Very busy IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

Both E72's statement and yours can be correct, one doesn't have to be a lie. Maybe footfall in that particular store is way down.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They'll never pull back on charges completely IMO but if they offered the first hour or two hours for free and charge after that I think it would go a good way towards drawing anyone back who has been avoiding the place for little shorter trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If footfall to the centre isn’t down, but is to one shop. Then parking isn’t the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

Still doesn't mean someone was lying which is my point.

• Advertisement

family member works in a large store there. management and staff giving out about business being way down. no porkies being told. im sure theres certain parts of the day when its busy. i do believe the charge is going nowhere, theyve invested a fortune in it and wont back down. some shops may decide to leave though, or may be forced out of business by lack of funds.

Advertisement