Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Hes not saying they should/shouldn't have been doing it, he's just saying that its a reason why the carpark looks less busy as you drive by. Especially as they are the spots you'd see from the N4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They could definitely implement a park and ride, get onto your local councillors if you want that figured out. In the mean time it's not people's property to park and and abuse for their convenience, hence the paid parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭brick tamland

So 1st trip to LV in months today. All the units that have left have been replaced. From the top of my head

New CK shop

New Levi's shop

New jewellery shop where Carphone Warehouse used to be

New jeans shop opening soon (salsa jeans maybe)

Sketchers moved to a bigger unit

Gym and Coffee still open

I don't think there are any empty units at all. Puts an end to all the hysterical nonsense above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

When they work out how much of the carpark they actually need for the centre, the rest of the space will be redeveloped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Went into LV last week, done some shopping in boots, pennys, shoe stores, got dinner in Milanos then left the car park at a cost of 2:50. Yeah I don't like paying for parking but there is bigger fish to fry saving a few bob. I find it gas people saying they they now avoid LV to trek over to blanch. Time is money people and the 30 minute round trip to blanch is more expensive than 2:50 in LV to me personal.

• Advertisement

I just wish they got rid of all the kiosks, walking through the centre is a pain in the arse due to the amount of kids and buggies during work hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I imagine most of those who live in the catchment area of LV and said they'll boycott it forever are back shopping there regularly too. All it takes is one trip to Blanch or the Square where they got stuck in traffic for 45 extra minutes trying to get there and back(and probably 5 or 10 euro in extra fuel) made them realise how much they were cutting off their noses to spite their faces...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Skechers unit is smaller and temporary. They will move back to the old unit once renovated.

New shops there will pay the rent, but will it attract the customers? Was pretty quiet last weekend again when we were there. Next was empty, Marks was dead. Boots was pretty quiet, could be due to the music get blasted there :)

CK was empty on Sat when we had a look, as for the jewellery store, never anyone there, can't see it lasting long.

Benefits of paying for the carpark, its now easy to get a spot up by penny's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

having been very critical of this paying policy in the past, I was there 3 times in the last 2 week, I have a customer in the centre.

I would go into one of the service yards. But I have noticed the car park in front of the cinema complex is reasonably full, but the others seem less and by the time I pass the car park by M & S, it’s sparsely occupied by cars.

I must give credit that the bus park in the middle looks good. But I just wonder do the numbers coming to LV justify the outlay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Has the 15-minute grace period been abolished I wonder? I popped in to collect something earlier today. Machine said I was in for just 8 minutes total when I got to the exit barrier. Still wanted €2.50 off me. Previously it was free for under 15 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The issue I have with the car park is the ridiculous amount of time it takes to leave as the barriers are slow. I was there recently, had to run in to swap something. I was in the centre for less than 5 minutes but took close to 15 minutes to leave the car park

Can confirm there's no set down time, for charged parking for being in there for 6 minutes. That's really scabby. Also tried charging me for parking even though I already paid on the machine on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So when was the charging for parking introduced, about 6 months ago? I have definitely gone to LV less than I did before. And to this day I have never paid for parking. I either park at Tesco or at the retail park.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yeah the grace period is gone, got caught out myself the other when I just ran into M&S to get something. I was definitely in and out in under 15.

It's still mentioned in their FAQs however, which is rather annoying https://www.liffeyvalley.ie/parking/carpark-faqs/

25. If I enter a car park and can’t find a space, will I be charged?

No. There is a 15-minute grace period to allow you to enter the car park and find a space. If you enter and leave the car park within 15 minutes, you will not be charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭This is it

I was under the impression that they, and all car parks, were legally obliged to provide a grace period. If I drive in and there are no spaces, why would I pay for parking...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think there is any law covering that.

I think the delay is people paying at the barriers, instead of when they are still in the centre.

I was there on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week, and paid at the pay point just outside Boots on my way out.

There was a queue of 10-15 cars waiting to exit at the barrier and I noticed nearly all were paying at the barrier (and some having issues doing so).

And that was at a quiet, mid-week, mid-morning time. I wouldn't like to try it at the weekend.

I had issues paying at the barrier as it wasn't taking contactless one time. I believe you can setup an auto payment on their website similar to the video tag on the M50? That would be handy if there isn't a fee associated with it.

I find it simplest to just pay as I'm leaving. Click and go!

An account seems a lot of bother, unless you're a frequent visitor. I think it was only my second or maybe third time in LV this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Dundrum TC take the EasyPass passes for parking charges.

• Advertisement

I think I've been to Dundrum twice since it opened. Instantly hated it.

I'm not a fan of big shopping centres, (especially crowded ones) in general :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭This is it

I'd be following up with a complaint if you're charged for less than 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another one that I literally never have seen anyone in is the levi store in liffey valley I can't see that lasting tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This happens a fair bit.

The screens are also touchscreen...if it rains they barely work.

No fee to setup account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So you get charged the full hourly rate even if your just driving in to drop someone off for work. Scabby bastards DAA don't even do that if the short term car park is full. They could charge maybe a euro for 30 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Surprised people still buy Levis at all tbh. Thought the young folks would have moved to cooler brands and the older folks onto the cheaper stuff (m&s, pennneys, Dunnes etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Seems bizarre that they didn't consider that it rains in Ireland.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

What are the cooler brands. I'm older folk and have tried a few different brands but they're all a horrible fit, anything that suits in the waist I can barely get past my knees as everything now seems to be those rotten skinny jeans which are just wrong on men.

Have been to the Levi store briefly to see if they had any looser fitting jeans and the place looked decent. Was in a bit of a rush so didn't try anything but will try again at some future cinema outing. The cinema is the only reason I visit Liffey Valley as they have a great offering and also cover parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

weird.

I was in twice last week to pick up family members and I wasn't charged for parking as i left witihn the 15 minute period

Advertisement