Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

weird.

I was in twice last week to pick up family members and I wasn't charged for parking as i left witihn the 15 minute period

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SteM

I was in last week at the m&s side, dropped off my wife and left within a few minutes. I wasn't charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Thanks for the suggestion, tried them both in the Blanch centre some time back but neither fit well, far too tight in the thigh/upper leg and I'm no Robert Förstemann (aka quadzilla). Usually a 34 or 36 waist so don't want to resort to getting 40+ just to be enable sitting/squatting without the fear of tearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,705 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah confirm it's still free for 15 minutes I take it if you are tight at 12 or 13 minutes then you could get caught out if someone else is stuck at an exit which is normally the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

There does seem to be 2 different diesel jeans, maybe the ones you tried are in the shop called diesel but they aren’t proper diesel, these ones can be found in arnotts, they are more expensive but are a great fit, and you won’t tear these squatting.

ie.diesel.com/en/man/denim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Maybe my issue is using the ticket machine in the shopping centre in the way out? I've paid twice for 7 and 8 minutes and the second time it tried charging me at the exit machine too. I use the machine in the centre because last time I tried paying at the exit barrier it wouldn't accept contactless and it was a single exit lane so I had a queue behind me.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Thats why I say go through the payment process at any of the pay points before leaving the centre.

That 5 minutes walking to your car / getting to the barrier / any delay at the barrier is what may tip you over the 15 minute time limit and you end up have to pay a fee.

Yeah I was dropping someone off so was in and out in under 5 minutes barrier just lifts without validating my ticket on any machine.

I wonder if you validate the ticket on one of the machines at say 12 minutes and you get stuck behind someone coming out and you pass the barrier at 17 minutes would it try and charge you?

I've only been in and out in under the time limit twice, when my daughter was running in to collect something and straight back out. I gave her my card to pay the parking in the centre in case she was delayed, but when she did there was no charge.

• Advertisement

I know this is off topic, but noticed last week that the downstairs carpark in The Square has no 15 minute drop niw off but the car park on the top level does. Not sure when it changed.

Wow , I was there this afternoon - quick flying visit to Argos and wasn't charged on that level. (middle level?)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,790 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a Monaghan company selling random stuff they get made in the far East as Diesel; and there's an Italian company designing stuff made in the far East and selling it for a lot more money. Italian one is somewhat better quality

You won't find the Monaghan company being sold outside Ireland for trademark reasons.

Yeah, the only carpark effected is the one that goes into the Footlocker/Tescos side. The Argos carpark and the top carpark that goes into McDonald's etc still have the 15 minute drop-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,880 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭supaburger

I stopped going Since they introduced the parking fee.

To be honest why would anyone pay to park there.

Blanchardstown SC not only is free to park they have way more shops.

They are clearly greedy and hopefully people will stop going there.

Also considering all the money they are paying apcoa for managing it probably means they are making very little money from parking charges

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Blanch is a cesspit though. Id rather pay in liffey valley and avoid the cluster **** of blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well I used to go once a week went for first time in a year recently!

Paying system was a joke, very few stations and elderly couple in front of me had hassle with touch screen.

So fiddly having to enter you car reg etc, ticket into machine would be so much easier.

I know it says you can pay at barrier but I'd hate for it to not work, then stuck there.

Also hate the new spaces, who in this day and age makes them smaller when cars are only getting bigger, ridiculous.

My favourite thing about old car park was those lovely parking spaces that were a doddle to park in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Dunno why anyone bothers queueing at the machines to pay if they have a credit card. Just tap at the exit to pay.

However, and it's a big however, my mobile (using Revolut) never seems to work so I have to then dig out the wallet and use my BOI card. Funnily enough though, I was there for about an hour today and didn't have to pay. Pulled up to the exit and the barrier went up straight away. Win! 🤷

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't believe the new spaces are any smaller than the old ones. Then again I always park at the far end of the aisles furthest from the door where there's always loads of empty spaces. Never had to worry about someone parking next to me whether it's the main entrance aisle or M&S side.

I don't bother tapping on the way out or using a machine at the doors, set up auto payments on their website and be done with it.

Old spaces were crap because you had to drive in. Reversing into spaces is better for visibility and easier to do.

How does the auto payment system work when you get free parking at the cinema do you know? In the cinema they give you a card to scan at the exit, does that cancel the auto payment process?

I went to the cinema a few months ago and got one of the vouchers for free parking I went to one of the machines inside the main door near Penny's and typed in my reg came to 7.50 I then scanned the barcode on the ticket I was given by cinema staff if I recall I didn't see any message to say paid so bought the ticket with me just in case and drove up to the barriers and it lifted automatically.

I also hear Tesco are going to put barriers up similar to the ones in Tesco Adamstown so does using it as an free carpark will need to purchase something in Tesco to get the ticket to validate their parking ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭rgfuller

You have to ask for the 'parking account' card which gives you a voucher code to add to your auto-payment account before you leave the car park - this appears as a VUE cinema discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

After being in Blanchardstown a few times recently, I'd happily pay for liffey valley parking than have to wait 20 minutes to get in or out of Blanchardstown. The layout of blanch is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ciarse

After reading some of these posts, it's clear that peoples lives are affected in different ways; e.g

- If ur elderly and maybe not tech savvy, this seems to be a complete hassle.

- Lot of folks here seem to be nonplussed and just 'tab n' go'.

- Some folks have compared with Blanch/Tallaght, some positive and some negative.

- The size of the spaces seems to be smaller, not great for SUV, etc owners.

- There seems to be a lot of confusion over charges or non charges.

In summary everyone has their opinion and thresholds of acceptance. IMO, this is a disgrace to have to pay for the privilege of shopping at LV. It is purely GREED, to have this 'policy' implemented, so much so, even the staff are charged. The thing is most of the shops in LV, have online shopping. I think we should ALL show our rejection of their greed by shopping online and helping older folks to do so too. Being Devils Advocate - If parking at LV was being abused prior to this and since the new barriers are installed... Then, each shop in LV should/could validate customer parking once they make a purchase over €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Interestingly, I haven't seen the LV carparks as busy as they have been over Christmas for a long long time. Even the far end of the M&S carpark was full the other day.

Still though, what really grates is the 15min policy. 30mins would have been perfect. It would still attract "casual" shoppers who want to buy one or two items. Even with 15mins, I can just about park in the purple carpark, run into M&S, grab the few items I know exactly that I need, pay and get back to the car and out the barrier in less than 15mins but it's bloody tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I'd say most of the cars there this past week were from people who swore blind earlier this year that they'd never shop there again....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭This is it

Barrier in and out, reg is taken on the way in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here we are a year later and I have yet to pay for parking there. Until yesterday, I simply parked elsewhere or didn't go in at all. Yesterday I used one of the vouchers from the cinema. My kids go there often enough and they know how to "score" the freebie vouchers and bring them home 😀 They are valid for several months.

Advertisement