Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sig Sauer 522

Options
  • 31-08-2022 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm looking at buying a second hand sig sauer 522 from my local gun dealer. Its has a folding stock on it so I'm unsure if I would get a licence for it. Specifications are below any advice is appreciated.

Post edited by Cass on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Should be no issue, a folding stock makes zero difference with rifles.

The main thing is whether it would be restricted, or non restricted, which is specified here:

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2008/si/21/made/en/print

However the salient point is if the overall length is greater than 60cm and the barrel length is 30cm then it is a "long firearm", otherwise it would be classed as a pistol.

Stock folded it is ~66cm, and barrel length is 42cm, so you are fine there.

The only other point is that if the magazines are 10 rounds or less then the firearm is non restricted, and if they are greater than 10 rounds then you would need a restricted licence(essentially you would have to prove why you would need more than 10 rounds mags, in addition to the requirements for a non restricted firearm).

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Folding stocks or other types[bar bullpup design stocks] on rifles make no difference here. That applies more to shotguns.

The two points you have to look out for that make a rifle a restricted firearm are [1] Mag capacity and [2] calibre.

You are good on the .22, however, the mag capacity of 25 rounds puts it automatically in the restricted category of things. So unless you can give your local chief Superintendent[who handles restricted firearm applications] what you need 25 rounds of .22 on tap for is another day's work. All is not lost, however. Before you import it, get the dealer in the UK[?] to restrict the mag to 10 rounds, and to certify that the gun is being shipped to you modified as such.

FWIW,I'd have a look about the EU to see if anyone has the same model for sale, as export/importing directly from the UK, since it left the EU is a bit of a PITA! Importing from another EU country is a lot easier on paperwork and travel.

522 👍️ Sexy bit of kit that BTW!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AdamB2711

Thanks for the information the mags that come with it are 10 rounds and it's with an Irish dealer so won't have to worrie about importing but thanks for the advice. I just used an English site for the spec details. Happy days I'll get the paperwork sorted for it so 😁

Advertisement