Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit card for elderly customer?

• 31-08-2022 1:26pm

My Mum is elderly and has a BOI account. What would be the easiest way for her to make withdrawals? She had an ATM card but its expired so besides her turning up at a branch in person I don't know of any other way she can manage her account. Would she be entitled to a ATM/Debit Card?

Previously I had online banking set up for her. Unfortunately she put in the PIN wrongly a few times and it's been blocked now.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Of course she would be entilted to an ATM/Debit card. every bank customer would be entitled to that. I can't think why you feel she might not be entitled to the same offerings as any other customer?

Well why didn't they send one out then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Because she had one and let it expire and never bothered to ask for a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do BoI not send new cards when an existing card expires? there shouldn't be a need to request a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi there, thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie.

Your mum should have certainly received a replacement card when her card expired. Generally a replacement card is sent to the address registered to the account approx. 2 weeks before the end of the month that it is due to expire.

You mum can certainly contact our customer service desk on 0818365365 (select options 1, then 2, enter 8 digit account number, then select option 4 for service on her account) and one of my colleagues would be happy to look into this further.

My colleagues should also certainly be able to help your mum reset her online banking pin over the phone.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks, Eve

• Advertisement

Hi Eve thanks for the reply. Are they the numbers for unblocking my PIN? Because, and just to add to the confusion, I tried that already but for some reason BOI must have the wrong date of birth on the account. It wouldn't accept my mother's date of birth (or my late father's either who was a joint account holder).

What would be the easiest way to get an ATM card sent out to her please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi there,

The options we provided above on 0818365365 (select options 1, then 2, enter 8 digit account number, then select option 4 for service on her account) will allow your mam to get through to our colleagues where we can verify the account and send out the new card. We can also reset the Banking 365 pin by speaking to our colleagues by selecting the options we have provided.

The other option is for your mam to call into one of our branches with ID where we can order the card and also update the date of birth if required. Our colleagues in the branch can also help in terms of resetting the Banking 365 pin.

Thanks,

Declan

I forgot to include the rather important fact that it is a savings account my Mum has. I think that is why the old card stopped working and the reason we could not unfreeze the online banking.

Anyway we went to our local branch and they said she'd need to open a current account in order to get a debit card which she did. We got the card today but I'm still a little confused. Am I right that I'd need to use the online banking to transfer money from the savings account to the current account in order to withdraw it with the debit card? So do we need to register again for the online banking with the new card/account?

Finding it all very confusing .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi there

Thanks for checking back with us. Yes, if it's a demand deposit account your Mam has, along with her new current account, she can use online banking to transfer freely between the 2.

First step would be to arrange access again for online, if you call 0818200362 option 3 will put your Mam through to Advisor, they can reset PIN and also relay this User ID if she has lost this detail. Team are available weekdays 9am-5pm. Once reset, you can login, select Services and go to Add Account option to link current account. The added account takes approx 5-7 business days to appear online.

Hoping this helps.

Many thanks

Alison

Advertisement