Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert Tickets for Wemley Sat 03/09 on sale again

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

An excellent player. Alex Lifeson is brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,043 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

it'd be nice if richard from manchester played at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Rufus Taylor is the spit of a young Taylor Hawkins, I thought it was his son when I saw him on the drums.

His actual son drumming on My Hero, that's going to be a video I return to watch again and again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The live stream has been taken down now

Raging I missed this, hopefully it'll be uploaded again soon

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

T'was a long but worthwhile day and this is going to be a very long post - so go straight to the pictures if you want😉

Up at 5.30 to drive to Dublin Airport, getting to Heathrow late morning then over to Wembley

They advertised the gates would open at 2.30. Had a pitch ticket and after picking up a couple of T-shirts there was nothing more to do than join the queue around 1pm

Shortly before 2 we had a brief but heavy downfall. They actually opened up our gates at 2, but by then the rain had blown over

They handed us our wristbands, and I had a bit of water before they beckoned everyone to walk along the concourse. I thought it was a bit odd as we seemed to be going all the way round to the other end of the stadium, and they did not seem to be letting anyone else in. I looked at the wristband and saw the words "FRONT PIT" on it. No-one else had spotted this and were equally surprised. I had seen on the Ticketmaster plan of the layout a front section which had been shaded out, so I assumed that was going to be for hospitality guests and the like. But no - those of us who had queued longest were going to get in the front pit.

By then I had already been standing for a couple of hours and the show was still 2 hours away. I found my place, but the floor was still very wet, so it was going to be another 8 hours of standing. This was going to be very uncomfortable - had a knee replacement just over a year ago and it still plays up a lot. I had managed to stand for up to 4 hours or so at other gigs, but the leg had become very painful.

About 45 mins before showtime Mark Ronson played DJ, with a guest appearance by Nile Rodgers

I had guessed Liam Gallagher would be on first as he was due to play in France that evening. He turned up in the same jacket as least week, but no floppy hat covering his face this week - just sunglasses -maybe he was not suffering from a hangover. And also no "Are there any Oasis fans 'eyo?" (he must have said it half a dozen times at Kilmainham) - all in all a much improved however brief appearance

And he also had the help of the Foo Fighters, with Dave Grohl on drums. Grohl was like a whirling dervish. The first 10 minutes of the show and he was not holding anything back. I thought there was no way he could keep going through the event at that intensity

A couple of Bowie numbers with vocals from Josh Homme and Gaz Coombes followed and then it was on to Chevy Metal. Their second number featured a child of the revolution Kesha who put on a very "interesting" performance, culminating with....

Various changes in personnel followed, before I was treated to my first sighting of a genuine Led Zep legend, John Paul Jones

A few more changes and we were on to the latest reformation of James Gang, with the ever "facially challenged" Joe Walsh

My leg was really suffering by this time and we were only a third of the way into it

After a few more changes one of the highlights of the day for me was Brian Johnson. Only two songs and this was presumably the first time he had been on stage since he stepped back from AC/DC. It was 10/15 mins of magic - he was all energy despite his 74 years. However he was clearly suffering himself by the end of it, and probably needed an oxygen tent after that. He clearly loved being back on the big stage, but it does make me wonder whether he would be up to a 90 minute AC/DC gig without quite a bit of "help" - last night it was Justin Hawkins giving him a bit of verbal support

We then had another 70 year old on the drums, Stewart Copeland, before we rolled back a year for two 69 yo members of Rush. and then onto 73 year old Roger Taylor, and 75 year old Brian May

Dave Grohl continued to put maximum effort into everything he did

And of course we still had to fit in an 80 year old Paul McCartney

and of course a 12 year old Nandi Bushell and a 16 year old Shane Hawkins

AFAIK, Paul McCartney had only played Wembley Stadium once before, and I was there that time as well...

Dave Grohl described yesterday as the best rock show ever. For me Live Aid was a bigger and indeed better event, but that was arguably more "Pop" than "Rock", and I don't think it will be easy for yesterday's event to be matched in that genre. And I think this must be the stage on which more energy was expended than any other be they rock or pop events

After all that I hobbled my way back to the Underground station and onto my hotel, where I got no sleep, and was back up at 5.30 to catch my flight back from Heathrow, which was then delayed on the tarmac for 90 minutes after 2 passengers decided not to get on the plane after checking in 6 bags...

However nothing was going to detract from a fantastic event.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Long day for standing Beasty, seats might have been better in hindsight but its not the same experience being further away.

My back is only up to a few hours standing.

Great photos, do you use a camera to take them ?

I have 2 compact digital cameras that don't attract the attention of security. One (a Sony) is very high quality but magnification is no-where near as good as the other, but sometimes that other (a Canon) offers much greater quality at distance if the light is good

Part of the rationale of standing is I know that's how I can get the best pictures. And I much better remember the gigs where I have photographic record. I would not have remembered that Freddie Mercury joined Elton John on stage in Manchester back in 1982 (and AFAIK the only time they were on the stage together other than at the finale of Live Aid) because I have the pictures showing it (well showing both actually!)

Funnily enough, although the stadium has been re-built, I reckon I was not very far away on Saturday than the position relative to the pitch that I was at for Live Aid (maybe 3 or 4 metres closer Saturday - obviously the quality of cameras is massively better nowadays)

I can only assume you have serious footage of Geddy Lee to come there @Beasty , my wife was like ha he's playing that song you always try to play along to. I can actually play along to YYV and is my favourite Rush track

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Advertisement

A few more featuring Mr Grohl

For anyone interested there's an hour highlights show from Wembley on MTV (Sky Channel 126) at 10pm this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will Foo Fighters go down the route of recruiting a 'big name replacement for the late great Taylor Hawkins' or will they go with someone completely new ??

Can see a 'Rockstar Supernova/Pop Idol'etc type series gaining a lot of interest and publicity if they go down the 'new drummer' route

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'd say they will disband. Maybe re-form with a couple and, yeah, some known drummer (Roger Taylor's son is the living image). But would say the foo fighters as a name are done. And it's time, to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

After reading the message they posted the other day I was thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rainagain

I took it from the Instagram post that the Foos will be back... time will tell!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea I got the feeling they'll be back on tour at some stage with a replacement after reading the social media post.

"The Foo Fighters will continue as a band following the death of drummer Taylor Hawkins last year, although it will be a “different” group, they have said"

I would imagine some of those drummers who played at the two Tribute gigs will be on the list of possible replacement drummers

Roger Taylor's son was the living image of Hawkins

• Advertisement

Maybe they should recruit someone else on the stage that day, Sam.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

Personally don't care what they look like, if anything the less like Taylor the better. They should be an outstanding drummer, fit with the band, and have with their own personality and let them gel with the band. Trying to emulate your predecessor never ends well.

Was just saying he was the living image ....

And now I look at Beasty's post, he's not that like him.

TBH, I think they should take this time to take a break. Come back in some form or another but not as FF. Experiment a bit by maybe going a bit heavier or something totally off the wall. It won't please everyone (Maybe it won't please ANYONE) but they have nothing to loose.

Maybe I'm being greedy. I have seen them a few times at great gigs (Marlay Pary in 2007 with Nine Inch Nails, Glastonbury 2017 and this show) and once or twice mediocre. I'm sure there are some out there who have never seen them live so my suggestion that they disband-ish/take a break might come across as "I've had my fun".

But they could take this unfortunate turn of events and take it as an opportunity to shake it up a bit. Work with new and radically different producers. Come out with a Foos-infused Trad album As Gaeilge :) , Or a colab album with Coldplay (Just kidding). But you know what I mean: Get out of "Foo-mode"

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

There headlining the 'Boston Calling' festival in May

So they must have an idea who will take over behind the drums

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Few other American festivals announced around May/June

I wonder will Ed Graham return to The Darkness if Rufus Taylor ends up joining Foo Fighters

Advertisement