Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growth of Viburnum post Bindweed

Options
  • 31-08-2022 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭

I had ignored the three year old Viburnum planted in the far corner of the garden all summer and I had just commented that I was a little disappointed with how it had been doing this year given that it is a fairly good grower I think.

So I went up to it end of August and noticed bindweed had a good grip on it. So got rid of it (!) and untangled everything that I could see.

I need the viburnum grow to gain privacy.

Do you think the viburnum was curtailed in its growth because oi the bindweed?

Now that it is 'free' could it have an extra spurt before autumn ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

In my experience bindweed makes very little difference to how a healthy plant grows.

Bit late now for any growth probably just a good idea to plan how to deal with the bindweed next year.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Context is everything, if it was just a few stems of bindweed then yes it would have little effect, if it was completely smothering the plant and blocking out the light to the leaves it would.

But as said you won't see much improvement this year, keep it cleared next.

Advertisement