Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Options
  • 01-09-2022 6:44am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happy Autumn from Greystones. First sunrise of the season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

Love September.. grand day here in Cork City.. some sun - mixed sky.. light breeze.. not so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Weather Advisory for Ireland

Wet and windy weather this weekend may casue disruption.

Valid: 19:00 Friday 02/09/2022 to 19:00 Monday 05/09/2022

Issued: 13:24 Thursday 01/09/2022

Updated: 14:24 Thursday 01/09/2022

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Making the most of the warm day, lovely around Killarney and feeling quite warm back in Tralee now, a bit cloudier this afternoon. 21C approx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Disruption 😲

Warm day Navan. Warm sunshine and plenty clouds.

Areas of heavy rain are expected to pulse northwards across much of N Ireland and the southwest of Scotland through Saturday, potentially accompanied by thunderstorms. Rainfall totals of 30 to 40 mm could fall in 2-3 hours in some places with a low risk of 80 to 100 mm in 24 hours, bringing localised flooding and travel disruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A delicious heavy shower of long absent RAIN in progress out here. Sweet unfamiliar sound.

The drought is over.... Bliss

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The radar looks beefy in the northwest this morning but the leading edge of it is not reaching the ground. Both Donegal and Sligo airports are reporting CAVOK (no rain and no cloud below 5000 ft) at 07.30 despite appearing to be under rain. This is due to the distance from the Belfast radar, which at that range is detecting the leading edge rain at a much higher altitude, and it's then evaporating before reaching the ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tomorrow is going to be a shock to the system. Met Eireann are predicting a temperature of no higher than 12C for tomorrow here in Meath. Last time we had temperatures like that was in early May.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Today strange. Lashing rain. Ground still dry??? Do we need a false rain thread too?

Also 14c in Sligo n 20c in Newport but cloudy in both bar the false rain here.

Very heavy rain from this evening though and that WILL wet the ground.

Stormy tomorrow in a few places and Sunday too but low may lose its oomph then and quite with scattered showers and temperatures of 19 or 20c again.

Heavy rain out here all day. It is starting to soak in at last ,The ground was bone dry. So in some places it has not even gathered, Just evaporated,

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement

The rain at the stations in the West starting to build. Very sore headache so I presume drops in pressure are fast and thundery too.

It started out here around six am and then built up and up as the day wore on, A continual hard heavy deluge now - and yes headache . But so badly needed and the hay is in and a good crop.

Offshore West Mayo

Going by weather forecast on RTE just there I'd say we could escape rain in Sligo tomorrow day if they are right and get a breezy sunny day. However due to Low pressure isolated thunderstorms are also possible here. Other parts of East and West will have a lot of rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not much rain from the cold front here in Kerry, just about 2.6mm so far and starting to brighten up.

Much cooler now down to 12.3C from 18.3C

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A fairly active front over Mayo now. Heavy rain here in Castlebar . Was dark very early tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yet again we are escaping bad weather in Dublin. We had a shower or two in afternoon but that was it. I hope weather has held up aslo down in Strabally for Electric Picnic.

I'm sure the place will be soaked by morning but dry for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy rain just started now in Cork City. Big green across the way (usually boggy) is pure yellow, but wasn't wishing for rain because once it's here it stays! But alas, autumn is coming with a bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Biblical rain here now in SW Donegal

A clear- skied morning after yesterday's looong deluges. A perfect autimn morning with clear skies, and even a light hoar on wide- bladed grass in sheltered places.. and nippy. My feet are chilled.

As lovely an autumn morning as there can ever be... a delight to wander the lanes picking blackberries and revelling in skies and ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Blessed rain and a welcome cooling to start the Autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Notably cool in parts of the west with 6s and 7s showing up on wow.met.ie - a sharp contrast to the east under the cloud and rain with up to 17c currently in coastal Down county.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a miserable wet morning here in Meath, haven't seen one of these in a long time and i'm sick of the rain already. Today will be the first day since July that I won't be having my lunch outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Cheer up ,you can have your lunch and maybe the dinner outside too tomorrow instead, 20 degrees and sunshine on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yes, the rain has lost it's novelty already, it can march off with itself now!

I suppose it's the knowing that days like this are going to get more and more common over the next six months or thereabouts kind of sinks the ol' morale a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

I think I could accept it if a month on, let's say today was 3rd October. But jeez September has barely started and I dread to think of the months ahead if it's starting already. I will always trade a fine September with a summer month as it really shortens the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The wind situation for early tomorrow morning is changing every few hours on Met Eireann. Is there a consensus on this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain will move northwards across much of the country tonight, clearing from the north and northwest on Sunday morning.

Some torrential downpours are expected in parts, resulting in surface flooding. There is also the potential for thunderstorm activity and lightning strikes.

Valid: 01:00 Sunday 04/09/2022 to 10:00 Sunday 04/09/2022

Issued: 08:39 Friday 02/09/2022

Updated: 10:50 Saturday 03/09/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I don't mind the odd day like today. Today's weather I kind of welcome, cooler, fresher and welcome rain for the grass. Been spoilt with many dry days this year.

The swiftness of change. A serene day now here, but chilly

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement

Ah Gonzo 😀 , think of the land getting replenished with water for growth and river, lake and reservoir levels all recovering and the happy farmers and horticulturists, I do hope most of the cereals have been brought in, talking to a farmer recently and said corn was very good which was harvested a couple of weeks ago and straw quality very good and baled too. Have noted that a lot of towns could do with a good wash down from some heavy rain as footpaths and areas of congregating have become quite grubby and greasy.

Nothing too settled on the horizon for those that long for fine weather I'm afraid, some massive rainfall totals showing up for the next 10 days with LP dominating.

Cool today, have a long sleeve shirt on for the first time in months, time to rediscover some inside pursuits and need to start thinking of having all the gear on close standby for heading outdoors. Kinda glad the weather has turned as I think it helps the young fella settle back into school, and helps my work by being easier to focus on the more indoor Autumn timetables and schedules , separates the Summer from the Autumn . Looking forward to seeing my ponds fill up again too.

Even though I love the Spring and Summer, moving into the Autumn and Winter brings loads of opportunities too, I turn a bit more towards woodwork projects in the garage and winter jobs in the garden, have a lot of trees to top again this year, have a fine supply of wood cut and ready from last winter and enjoy the quieter Autumn and Winter landscape and rummaging around the coasts, have been dabbling in a bit of Mudlarking also the last few years ,and found a nice bottle recently which has only fired up the passion to find more, possibly 150 -170 yrs old approx, best time for looking is after big tides from storms and gales so will be watching for suitable tides in the coming months. Also very conscious of fuel and electricity costs and how the extra heating and electricity needs might impact us and other families not to mind how a very cold winter might cause considerable strain and hardship to some. I'm wondering if I should invest in a generator to be prepared if power cuts materialize , the main worry being keeping food fresh. Could be a testing Autumn /Winter for many reasons including the war in Ukraine and all the energy demands and poor power generating infrastructure and strains being put on supply for all the reasons highlighted in the media .

It is no doubt that some people need lots of fine weather, light and warmth . In general I'm happy enough to go with the seasons and enjoy the changing weather conditions, I do need to see and be out under some bright blue skies regularly and get plenty of fresh air but cant beat feeling the power of nature with some inclement weather also at times but of course it goes full circle and will in time look forward to Spring and Summer again.

Bottle from about 1850 -1870 approx found in an old muddy harbour recently here in kerry ( can just make out a fork under neath it, placed to keep it steady, found also on the same day, EPNS pickle fork I believe 🙂 )

Advertisement